April 17, 2014 | 1350 users online

Top/Base Coats - Creative Nail Design - Shellac UV Top Coat

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2014 7:13:00 PM More reviews by MES

My review is for the CND shellac line, which I have done in a salon as I do not posses the talent to do my nails at home. I had been a life long nail biter and had acrylics put on for a few months to let my natural nails grow. they were a huge pain in the rear end to remove, and my nail beds were damaged and it took about six months to grow out the damaged area. My job is very tough on my hands, I spend a lot of time typing on a key board, picking things up, and frequently use hand sanitizer. Traditional polish last 2-3 days at best on me when I am working. I didn't want to get gel nails as again the removal process can be time consuming. Shellac goes on like a traditional polish, but does require being cured. It can be soaked off which takes a bit longer than traditional polish, but quicker than acrylic or gel. What I like best about this is that it does not chip or crack at all. Even after two weeks it's still flawless and shiny. I have noticeable nail growth before this polish shows any signs of wear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by bloodymerry52

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got a Shellac mani at my local spa, and liked it so much that I splurged and bought the whole set up to use at home. I bought a 36 watt UV lamp from eBay, and the polishes on Amazon. It took a couple of tries to get the hang of it, but eventually it became pretty easy. Yes it is kind of expensive to purchase everything up front, but it will pay for itself in just a few manicures. I just did my very first french mani and I'm impressed how well it turned out. No one can tell me why it's bad to use regular polish with Shellac but I did with the french mani. I had some white polish (from Hot Topic that I got for free) so I painted two thin coats on the tips of my bare nails. Followed that with an old makeup brush (it was a MAC short shader brush) dipped in acetone and very carefully made the "smile lines". This was the hardest part to me!! Once that was done, I used the base coat then top coat, wiped with alcohol on a cotton ball and DONE! I freaking love how it turned out! :)
EDIT: I uploaded a picture of my nails, I'm the one with the left hand, short nails, and wedding rings with dark countertop underneath. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2012 1:49:00 AM More reviews by redlipstickandstockings

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE CND Shellac! I would never go back to regular nail polish after trying Shellac. It definitely lasts 14+ days with no chipping (and I am hard on my nails) and looks so shiny. I do my own Shellac and find it very easy to apply, as easy/easier than regular nail polish to apply. I don't use the CND UV lamp and it's not an issue, the one I use is 36wt with 4 bulbs, same as the CND lamp, only it cost me $30 on eBay versus the $300+ the CND lamp is. I also find Shellac easy to remove, I am either able to peel it straight off or if I can't, I soak my nails in alcohol for a few minutes and afterwards it is softened enough to peel off. I have only used the colour 'Red Baroness' as I pretty much only like red nail polishes. 'Red Baroness' is a really nice, strong red colour but at the same time not too in your face so is appropriate for all situations. Also a little goes a long way with Shellac, especially with the base & top coats. I've given myself at least 5 manicures with my bottles of Shellac and I still have plenty left.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Shellac!!! I would (and do!) recommend this to everyone! To do Shellac at home all you need are the polishes - base polish, colour, top polish (around $16 each for me on eBay and worth every cent), a 36wt 4 bulb UV lamp (mine was $30) and alcohol/acetone for wiping nails after top coat has been cured to get shine + later removal.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2011 7:21:00 PM More reviews by lisawech10

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm on my third manicure with Shellac and I love it. My nails look great for two weeks and they are stronger than they've been in a long time.

Wonderful product!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2011 6:35:00 PM More reviews by Gigit77

Not that pricey when you consider what an amazing product Shellac is. I was a former Bio Sculpture fan, now I've sold off my entire Bio Sculpture collection and switched over to Shellac. Never lifts, lasts for weeks, incredible shine at a FAR better price than Bio Sculpture.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2010 10:32:00 AM More reviews by ninapetal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got a CND Shellac manicure for my wedding this past August, and it was a wonderful experience. I typically polish my own nails, and have only had a professional manicure maybe twice in my life, so I wanted something special and lasting for my wedding day and thoughout my honeymoon. I paid about $32 for this before tip, and it stayed shiny and lasted until the week after my wedding! Definitely worth the money for a special occasion, if not for everyday.

I got married on a Saturday and got this manicure on the Wednesday before my wedding in a light soft pink color, and it stayed very shiny and didn't start chipping until I was on a plane the following week of my wedding coming home from my honeymoon! It lasted through the wedding frenzy, packing, traveling, suitcase shuffling, swimming in the pool and ocean and I peeled it off myself on the plane from boredom! I should have had it professionally removed, because peeling it off myself absolutely ruined my nails, but I would definitely try again for another special occasion or vacation!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2010 3:46:00 PM More reviews by nitumathew

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I discovered Shellac about 1.5 months ago. I liked the look of getting a french manicure but hated that it would chip off the second you got out of the salon! I didnt want to ruin my nail bed with Gel or Acrylic nails. Since I have brittle and dry nails, I gave up the hope of ever getting a french manicure and kepts my nails short.
Then I discoverd Shellac at a nearby salon. Although it is expensive than a regular manicure, it is worth the money! I got it done twice and each time, the polish lasted for about 3 weeks. I was pleasantly suprised by the nail growth without any chips, peel aways. my nail bed looked healthy and stronger after it was removed. LOVE, LOVE this product!
If you dont mind seeing the same color on your nails for 2-3 weeks, then this is perfect for you.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2010 9:29:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Just got my first EVER Shellac mani. So far it is wearing well. Top coat applied evenly, but you need to use alcohol afterward to get rid of the "sticky" residue.
You need to "light cure" this system.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2010 11:43:00 AM More reviews by LelaViavonie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the Top and last coat you use.. it goes on VERy smooth and then you cure it for 2 min... then rub off the sticky part with alcohol,... the nails are so beautiful and shiny.. it really seals the deal with beautiful nails!