September 18, 2014 | 1376 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - Apres l'Ondee

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2014 4:11:00 PM More reviews by toulose

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Are you old enough to have smelt a leather lace-up rugby or soccer ball that has deflated and dried up somewhat? Or perhaps the way the sports equipment cupboard at school smelt? Another reviewer said 'wet dog's ass' It's all true; those expecting the opening of Apres L'Ondee to wow them at first sniff may be disappointed, but as with a creaking wooden door complete with iron hinges that opens into a secret garden you have to wait for her beauty to unfold. Leave the door behind. It won't hurt if you actually go for a walk and let the warmth of your body dilate the perfume into your senses. Trample the violets for one last time. This may be the year ALO is discontinued, at least sample a piece of history before it is gone. As I write there are massive price fluctuations happening with the remaining stocks. Some sources are $100 more than an online discounter. Try to find it at the best price and if you don't like it give it as a gift to someone who loves the Arts and Crafts period of design.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2013 5:43:00 AM More reviews by xrayer

I have recently been exploring fragrances and trying to branch out from the usual mainstream perfumes. I read an article about this perfume and it really piqued my interest, I was lucky enough to manage to find a sample relatively easily. Well I have to say that this is the most exquisite scent I have ever worn. It is light but complex, delicate but with depth. It is absolutely gorgeous and the first guerlain that I have been able to wear and truly appreciate. I think it is worth every cent and is of the highest quality, just superb. I will be saving for a full bottle!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2013 3:26:00 AM More reviews by Thirza73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After all those great reviews I had such high hopes for loving this perfume and I bought it unsniffed (it's rare to find and there was no possability to spray this in a shop).
Oh how disappointed I was when my package arrived....
Apres l'ondee (edt) has a sort of medicinal smell on my skin and it's very longlasting on me (4-5h). Just like Prada Infusion d'Iris, which I don't like either.
So get a chance to try this on your skin before buying. It can go really wrong with your body chemistry.
If you love powdery fragrances with anise, some flower and musk: try Guerlain L'instant pour homme. It's an underrated perfume jewel, also for women!
And when I think of a perfume that's inspired by After the rainflood, A Scent by Issey Miyake comes to my mind.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2013 12:27:00 PM More reviews by Gother

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

Aprés l'Ondée is my favourite rainy weather scent. I don't know why I came to chose this violet-iris-powder lovely blend as my rainy-day companion, but I happen to love rainy days more than sunny days (especially the fresh spring and fall rains that are interspersed with shy sun-rays now and then), so I cherish the fragrance.
And the bottle, to die for!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2012 2:51:00 PM More reviews by colorsinbloom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

I love the smell of Meteorites, and since they discontinued the Meteorites fragrance, I knew Apres l'Ondee was the closest scent. Well, I'm disappointed to say the least. Beautiful, yes, however, the scent does not last more than 30 minutes. The price point is just too high for it to vanish so quickly. No way, no how would I repurchase. Complete waste of money.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2012 12:51:00 AM More reviews by RORYGORY

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Certain scents are difficult to explain but easily inspire the adjectives "breathtaking" and "heartbreaking." Après L'Ondée is one of these scents. Gaia, the Non-Blonde describes smelling Après L'Ondée in parfum "like entering a dream. It can be familiar, like a memory you can't quite place but you know you've been there, maybe in your subconsciousness."

Like any other art form, at its finest perfume can convey a distinct idea or emotion. The more complex the idea, the more moving the artwork. Après L'Ondée means "after the rain shower," and between the floral, herbal, earthy, and watery notes, it literally translates as a garden after the rain. Yet there is something more to this scent, that inspires consistently more romantic reviews. At its debut, La Liberté said it had "something of the melancholy of a poet's thoughts." (Monsieur Guerlain). Turin's review is also full of dark metaphors, describing the base accord as a "funeral", but for the fact that "Guerlain suffuses the whole thing with optimistic sunlight by using, as in so many of their classic fragrances, a touch of what a chef would call bouquet de Provence: thyme, rosemary, sage. This discreet hint of earthly pleasures is what makes Après L'Ondée smile through its tears."

Après L'Ondée does smile through its tears, for the scent of the earth following the rain parallels a feeling of calm after the passing of grief. The sadness behind Après L'Ondée makes the beautiful notes all the more real, precious, and poignent. This scent brings you deep within your own reflections. It is undoubtably one of the greatest perfumes ever made.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by DrDorothy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the only fragrance I've met that legitimately breaks my heart; it's also--to date--the only fragrance that has made me feel ravished at the first sniff. Is it stupid to be almost moved to tears by a smell? Apres L'Ondee is pure beauty: damp violets, delicate, transparent, a trifle melancholy. It's like Monet or Debussy for your nose (stealing the latter comparison from Luca Turin because it's apt).

It's also fleeting. Only the EdT is in production, and even that is hard to find. Plus, the smell vanishes within half an hour of (generous) application. That's why it breaks my heart. It's the most beautiful perfume I have ever smelled in my life. Not the greatest, not the most interesting or complex, just the most beautiful. And I can't afford it, because even if I did shell out the cash for a whole bottle, it would vanish in no time. I can't justify it :( If you have bottomless pockets, then I congratulate you; buy gallons of this stuff and go swimming, because that's what it'll take.

Guerlain--bring back the parfum, if you have any mercy!

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by hyblaean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Bright and happy smell to me. Fades quick. Not the type of heliotrope I was looking for, to me it smells more like a garden in bloom. Which is not a bad thing, not what I was searching for, but my wrist will be up in my face for the next 30 min until this goes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by HelenVanPattersonPatton

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh how I wish I could own this in its parfum form, as it is absolutely divine yet not a scent I wish to spritz over and over with abandon; unless perhaps I'm home alone for the day and/or night. The combination of notes in Apres l'Ondee (some of my favorite notes) make it pensive, melancholic. Because of this, it needs--I need--the pure perfume. I want wafts of aniseed, hawthorn, violet, heliotrope, and iris to softly embrace me, calmly and gently; to handle me with kid gloves. Spritzing throughout the day shakes me up with renewed nostalgia and restrained moodiness. I want old movies, Jeff Buckley and Leonard Cohen. I want solace. This is a perfume I wear for or on a specific "occasion," or at least, as I noted, a day to myself. It's bottled sadness and I love it.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2011 1:37:00 PM More reviews by triotrio

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Terribly, terribly pretty in a delicate, fragile way. It's not your typical floral, so you can see how people would find it and think "That's the floral I've been waiting for"

But after just a few hours wear? Can't smell it even with my wrist crammed up to my nose!

Not worth it, tbh.