December 19, 2014 | 1160 users online

Treatments - Butter London - Horse Power Nail Fertlizer

rated 1 of 5 on 11/19/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by tanyab2007

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Absolutely useless.... And very expensive... I paid for this tiny bottle $35 in organic food store (still don't understand why Organic Food store sells this)...

Did nothing to my soft and brittle nails. Chipping off like crazy after only couple of layers applied. As per instructions I should have 7, for better result... never got to it.

Don't waste your money....

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2014 11:57:00 AM More reviews by pasdetrois

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Very disappointed. I faithfully followed the instructions the first several weeks, and my nails grew to a long length, but they always do this if I keep them covered in polish.

However, I noticed my clean nails were peeling more, not less, and my nails were breaking more while they were covered in the polish. (I don't normally have a problem with breaking nails.)

In addition, I have a long-term vertical split in one nail, and I was hoping that prolonged use of this product would help. I hoped that as the split area grew out, the new nail would be stronger and split-free. Nope. Still have the split, which recurs over and over.

On a lesser note, when I wear as many coats of polish as the instructions dictate, the product builds up near the cuticle and is very visible, and the product is very difficult to remove with polish remover.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/2/2014 7:28:00 AM More reviews by jademichelle9

I want to love it as much as I love Butter's Nail Polishes... but I hate this product so much. It goes on like a dream, dries super fast and their is slight boost to nail growth but it WEAKENED my nails to the point where they would peel and the tips snagged like crazy.

It has left me no choice but to clip my nails shorter than they were when I started using this. I think this really is a marmite product cos my friend uses it and it works great for her. For me personally, this is a complete dud.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 12:17:00 PM More reviews by Annisty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I didn't really think this would work until I tried it. Barely two days after applying to my nails, they were growing like crazy! I was actually pretty impressed. It was a bit strange though because my nails started to grow in strange shapes (nails became a bit lopsided). It started to chip in about 4-5 days which is pretty good considering I have a rigorous job. I did notice however, that my nails got pretty dried out after use. So in conclusion, if you wanna grow your nails out really fast then you definitely want this product. Just keep in mind that you still have to do regular nail maintenance.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 9:27:00 PM More reviews by alisham2

I got the Butter London Horse Power Nail Fertilizer as a part of the Sample Society box for January. I have to say that I will never do my nails again without it! I use it as a basecoat before applying my regular nail polish and in the last two weeks I've noticed a tremendous difference in my nails. First off, my nails feel so much harder/stronger than normal. I can't stop tapping my nails on the table which I've realized I did a lot when I used to get acrylics or gel nails. Also, my manicure has lasted a full week which is unheard of. Usually I have a lot of chipping around the 3rd day, but it's been about 7 days and my manicure is still going strong! I'm actually removing the polish tonight because I'm tired of the color, not because I have to (crazy!!). To be fair, my nails aren't really prone to breaking or splitting, so that may have something to do with it, but I definitely notice my nails are much stronger when I use this product. Definitely would repurchase if I had to, but that won't be for years because the bottle is HUGE!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Saspants

I purchased and started using this product about a year ago after taking off solar nails that I had kept on my nails for over 15 years. My nail beds were extremely damaged and temperature sensitive and my nails themselves were as thin as tissue paper that tore, flaked and split very easily.

I started using this to promote fast growth of my nails in hopes that once they grew out they would start growing in normal, without ridges, and thicker so that I wouldn't cringe anytime I washed my hands, showered or reach into the freezer to grab something for dinner. This product did just as it claimed, I brushed this on every 5-7 days as directed and it helped my nails grow in faster and stronger. I have been artificial nail free for over a year and my nails are strong and normal looking with no ridges, white spots in the beds, etc.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2014 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Kimmiebat

I only use this once on bare nails, then use their base coat , a polish, and their PPD topcoat. It works well for me this way and my manicures last longer than they ever did before. When it's time to change polish, I repeat that process. People who are applying multiple coats over multiple days will probably have a poor experience. For your information: Horsetail extract ( from the horsetail plant that Native Americans have used for a very long time) can also be taken orally as a supplement. I take it and Biotin everyday. It's inexpensive and works wonders for hair, skin and nails. Dermatologist recommended. Please stay away from formeldehyde- those types of strengtheners work well for most people in the beginning, but can be very drying and cause soft spots in the nails or worse-nail loss. Another tip is to find a cuticle oil with lanolin in it. That's the very best moisturizer for cuticles and nails. Elon is a not too expensive brand, but Walmart also carries one. Read the label. Look for lanolin- not lanalool. Hope that helps someone!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by 4swedes

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Made my nails much worse.
I tried it because of the "safer" ingredients (formaldehyde free).
It made my nails peel and flake worse than before.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by njlane

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I finally figured out why this doesn't work for me.

I started using Butter of London on my nails about 18 months ago in an attempt to get away from the toluene. (I used a lot of Essie and OPI before.) I found that if I used the normal products my nails were generally fine, and they grew longer if I kept up the polish.

Then I had a bad December - in winter weather, helped with a move and unpacked a ton of stuff, just generally allowed my hands to get completely dried out. My nails split like crazy too. So I bought Horse Power and started using it.

My nails split more and more, and I had to cut them shorter and shorter and shorter. I would apply either daily or every 2 days, and by day 5 or 6 I would find that I had a new layer lifted and had to remove the polish and cut them back again.

This week I tried again. I watched the following happen and had a Eureka moment: I smacked my finger into something (it does happen) and saw the polish lift off the top layer of nail as a result. This product bonds tightly to the top layers and actually CAUSES the layers to lift, at least for me. I'm taking it back to the store and will stick to the regular base coat and polish if I'm using color. Now to find a different clear "growth" product without the darned toluene. Hope there are reviews here from fellow MUAers.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by bizbuilder

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Again, I love Butter London brand! So I also use the other foundation base coat. But I believe this Nail Fertilizer is going to be a better treatment for someone who constantly wears polishes!

As usual, the package is so sleek and looks so good on the vanity. It has 6 fl oz - quite a lot I say. Will last long time.

Some people use it as base coat. But I think I will just use it as a pure treatment. When I wear this, I will just give my nails a break from any polishes.

It smells very strong. Almost as strong as the polishes.

This treatment claims to grow you nail and you should see major difference in one month. I have not tried to wear it for one month straight to test the claim.

However, when I use this treatment, my nail does not have any yellowish and does not split anymore! Can't say much about the growing because my nails grows kind of fast all my life.

I will recommend this product. Good luck girls.