January 28, 2015 | 1839 users online

Foundations - Ellis Faas - Skin Veil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2015 3:21:00 AM More reviews by sweetdase

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation based on Wayne Goss's recommendation for this product as this is his one of his holy grail foundations. I'm NC 35 and bought the color S104 but unfortunately, this product did not match my skin color, even though it was supposed to be the closest match. It is the most yellow tone color out of all the foundations yet, it is still too pink, I'm Chinese and this color definitely does not match my skin tone. The consistency is quite good. It's a bit on the thicker side, which probably why it provides a lot of coverage, but at the same time, it gives me acne. I notice it after I remove it and I see pimples on my face. The packaging is good as it is pump format so it is hygienic. However, it is not good for travel purposes as the packaging is bulky. I did not note any particular smell to the foundation either when I applied it. One thing I did notice was that it does not work well with dry patches. It actually accentuated my dry patches and it could be because the foundation is a little thicker. Other than that, I wished the color matched me :( I have contacted Ellis Faas and their customer service is great. Unfortunately, I bought the product off BeautyBay.com and could not receive a refund of the product. Try getting samples from their website by contacting customer service and they will send the samples to you prior to buying the full size as it is quite expensive. I would not repurchase based on my personal experience.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2015 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Rblenda1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This foundation is amazing! I wore it for 12 hours straight and it literally looked as if I had just applied it. Just for reference, I am NC 30 and I wear the color 103 and 104. It is very expensive but definitely worth the money!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2015 8:52:00 AM More reviews by HonestReviews

Let's start off with 1 thing, this foundation is expensive!! If you are a foundation junky though, you need this in your collection!

Coverage/Finish: This foundation has medium to full coverage. The coverage however is very flexible if you change your application method. This foundation gives a dewy finish without being too greasy.

Consistency: This is a thick formula, with a gel/cream texture. A small amount of this product goes a long way and is easily blended.

Skin type? I would personally not recommend this foundation to an oily skin type without the use of an oil control or mattifying primer. With a primer though I do not think there would be an issue.

Price: $$$ you are looking at forking out approximately $110 for this foundation, I recommend getting a sample from your mecca counter or Sephora so that you can truly test this foundation before you buy.

Photos? This foundation photographs fantastically! It does NOT flashback, and shows a glow without looking like a super shiny foundation. double thumbs up for photos!

All in all this product is beautiful, it truly is skin like and provides a really good amount of coverage. This is a luxurious product that I would recommend to anybody who is looking for a unique foundation.

Brought to you by Honest Reviews

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by ashlynalysse

This is my favorite foundation right now, and it has been for the past year. I prefer this over Armani, Chanel, Koh Gen Do, YSL, etc. I've tried a lot of foundations

I have decent skin, but it is dry. This foundation is medium coverage with a very natural and slightly glowing finish. It lasts the entire day for me and just makes my skin look so diffused and perfected, like I have perfect lighting following me around! I don't have to set it with powder. It isn't drying and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, but I wouldn't exactly call it a hydrating formula.

I recommend buying this from beauty.com as they occasionally have coupons or a percentage off purchases.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/13/2014 5:34:00 PM More reviews by ipakis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I live in Turkey. Because of the taxes, cosmetic prices are higher than most of the other countries. Anyway I paid a little fortune - 240 turkish liras- , I had enough faith that its gonna work. Maybe my expectations were too high I dont know. My skin color is nw15-20( not that pink, on the neutral side). I bought the color 101.This color is peachy neutral undertone. Because of the little peachiness it brightens up my complexion.The problem about this foundation are
1) it doesnt last. REALLY. I can only manage this work max 5 hours. It slides off after a while. I cannot make this foundation to stick to my face. I used different primers and powders. I tried with cargo hd primer - haurglass skin veil primer - cicaplast - porefessional. None of them make any difference. I also tried nars light reflecting setting powder - kryolan transparant - givenchy prisme libre - la praire cellular powder treatment - too faced invisible. The best manageble combo is hourglass primer and nars light reflecting setting powder.
2)It feels like you cannot spread this because of thickness. But somehow after you rubbed into the skin, it melts on the skin so much and you realize you need to blend more and more. Eventually you end up with overblending . Therefore getting good coverage becomes difficult. First you think 1 pump probably wont be enough, but then you realize nearly half pump is enough to cover your entire face. By the way applying with beauty blender cause so much product waste. You should apply it with your hands first. Then you should use bb to get hd effect.
3) It oxidized a little. You dont look like orange but you look definetely a little bit darker.

Dont get me wrong it is a good foundation. Look like a skin. It gives a beautiful glow to the skin. Unfortunately, it didnt wow me. You can get the same effect with
1) rimmel wake me up (if you can get a good color match)
2) armani designer lift ( only gives same effect if you apply little amount. Remember less is more.)
3) skin79 bb cream (espeacially the pink and gold ones)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by joy2uandme

For once I was smart and asked Ellis Faas for samples and waited the nearly 4 weeks. They finally came and I expected a ton from this foundation. It sounded like it would tick all of my boxes but sadly it did not.

Coverage: On me was almost non-existent. I get better coverage from tinted moisturizers.

Texture: Goes on super light but as the day wore on I felt I could scrape this off of my skin with a fingernail. It felt pasty and looked powdery after 8 hours of wear.

Colors: I received the 1st four colors and could wear 02 and 03. 02 looked too light on me at first but oxidized to probably the better color choice. Comparing the two side by side, 02 is more peachy in the tube. 03 looked better initially but did not wear on my skin as well, color wise. I am NC 25, Chantecaille vanilla, L'Oreal nude beige, MUFE 20.

Wearability: Lasted all day on me but like I said above I wanted to remove it after 8-10 hours but I made myself wear it all day until bed so I could really see what it was all about.

Finish: A lot of people talk about the luminising qualities of this foundation but I didn't experience that at all. I didn't see any minimizing of flaws, any betterment of the look of my skin. Nothing to speak of. I look better with just concealer, and I like and wear foundation most days.

Skin Reaction: This made me break out! Haven't done that in awhile to a makeup so pretty surprised.

Thank God I got samples first. I was so ready to jump on this band wagon but this just was no good for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2014 3:07:00 AM More reviews by rbkh

As a makeup fanatic, I'm always on the lookout for the latest and greatest, so when I learned about Ellis Faas and her makeup line, I tried out a bunch from her line, including the raved about $90 foundation. At this price point, I was really expecting perfection, so I had high expectations to begin with. For reference: I am NC 18-20, neutral to cool undertones and 102L is my match (surprisingly, I have seen this shade match several people lighter and slightly darker so it actually covers the light to light-medium range well. For fair choose 101, for medium range near NC25 recommend 103)

Starting with the PROs, this medium to full coverage foundation applies smooth and lighter than you expect for the coverage ( but still heavier than you see with sheerer formulas that give lighter coverage), and does a good job wearing like your-skin-but better with a medium luminosity (doesn't require a highlighter mixed in or radiant primer to achieve). Instant love. Films beautifully. SPF 15, no flashback. Ideal for normal to dry and combination skin in fair weather. Texture leans to creamy consistency but more like you expect in a light gel formula (even though it's not). This formula will slip in excessive heat, but I actually do expect that in any liquid formula so I don't take points off. I have combination skin with some dry patches and this did not accentuate pores, did not sink into fine lines, did not cling to dry patches, and did not oxidize noticeably-- all key factors for judging a good foundation. Good for year-round use except for extreme heat/humidity.

CONs would be that this formula has limited longevity, which is unacceptable at this price point. With my normal/combination skin, my T-zone can get shiny, but usually can get away without blotting or minimal blotting until 8th or 9th hour. With this foundation, I had to blot and powder by the 5th hour...and it was much oilier than normal. The rest of the application did not have any issues under normal (fair to cold) weather conditions but the T-zone was noticeably oily despite testing use with primers, powders, setting sprays, or finishing powders. (This could be perfect with a mattifying primer for oily skin types, but I do not like matte primers so I did not try) Provided average lasting power around my typical problem areas like redness around nose. Also limited shades which can be a problem for those who require more than neutral undertones or deeper shade ranges.

Does this beat Lancome, Nars, Aucoin, YSL, Guerlain, Chanel, and Armani? In my opinion, yes. But! At this price point, I do expect much more...even at $60 (where most of the comps range) I want to see better longevity in the formula given there are so many good alternatives priced more competitively. But the wear and coverage is good enough that I will continue to wear this until it runs out , and just make sure to blot and powder consistently. As this is EF's first and only foundation on the market (she has the same formula in her signature pen tube -- but this costs even more per fl oz so unless you require for travel I highly recommend the full bottle). This is a good foundation debut, but for the cost, I will wait for the next latest-and-greatest to hit her collection instead of purchasing again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2014 8:56:00 PM More reviews by michelle888

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have come out of reviewing retirement to write about this particular foundation. It is like NONE other that I have ever tried. It is without doubt, alchemy in a bottle. Most liquid (and really any formula) foundations always oxidize on me, so it's exteremely frustrating to shop, as, when I apply something in the store, almost always it changes colors within 1/2 hour! As predictable as the sun following the moon! Even a sales lady at Nordstorm was astounded watching another well known liquid turn orange on me before her very eyes a few weeks ago! (NB, I had no primer on, and vary primers at home, so what's underneath is not the culprit). So, I usually buy one shade lighter than what matches me in the store, or sadly, two shades, to mix, which is a gamble in practical use, because I have a chance of it not oxidizing enough and can look ghostly in public!

Anyway, after reading other reviews on this extremely expensive stuff, I begrudgingly tried it on in shades 101 and 102 ( the former seemingly more yellow toned and very very light, while the latter was more of an NW20 shade on me). I walked around the store, and tried to wait the required 1/2 hour for orange-turning, and WHAT? It did not happen! Instead, my face looked absolutely fantastic, lit, awake, energized, and fresh! NO oxidation, and NO glitter, but an UNBELIEVEABLE luminesscence looked back at me!

I used unbelieveable restraint, and waited to purchase this infernally expensive product. Instead, I went out, went home, and waited at least six hours to review and re-think whether I wanted to spend 90 bucks on make up when shoes are on sale! (Please note, I am not interested in the trendy pen-type applicators, so the full bottle was my only consideration). I looked in my home mirror and was absolutely thrilled at my complexion. Not only did both shades completely conform into my skin, they both looked seamless, true-to-my-neutral coloring, and I was absolutely dazzled that my skin was even, "lit-from-within" and glowed (with NO sparkles!)

I am addicted to this stuff, and will repurchase it til the end of time! Please try it, it may save you a lot of frustration and money wasted on finding your holy grail, which you will not only love, but USE!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/19/2014 4:59:00 PM More reviews by suzwana

This foundation glides on beautifully, but for me it only lasts an hour or two and then it's disappeared. I have a little trouble blending the colour into my jawline without it standing out. It has a beautiful finish and it really does look natural, but for me it doesn't last long enough to warrant the expensive price tag.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by Sarasotagirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

A medium-coverage foundation that really does blend to look like bare skin.

The YouTube gurus are right: This is a game-changer that hits the sweet spot of good coverage, great blendability, excellent wear and supreme undetectability. I don't know what chemists Ellis Faas is using, but they've knocked it out of the park with both the concealer and the foundation in her line. (Not so much with the click pens; get this in the bottle.) Use a damp Beauty Blender to get this to glide like buttah.

So, any quibbles? Price: $90 an ounce. Ouch. If you have good (unlined, unblemished) skin, you might not need this level of technology. But if you're old and speckled, as I am, $90 almost doesn't seem like too much. I wear S101 on my pale (NC10 or so, Color IQ 3Y01), neutral-to-warm skin.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No