Ellis Faas Skin Veil

4.1

AQUA, TRIETHYLHEXANOIN, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, DIMETHICONE, PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, PHYTOSTERYL/OCTYLDODECYL LAUROYL GLUTAMATE, PEG-400, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, DIMETHICONE/PEG-10/15 CROSSPOLYMER, GLYCERIN, SODIUM CITRATE, BARIUM SULFATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, HYDROGENATED LECITHIN, DEXTRIN PALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, SODIUM HYALURONATE, DIMETHICONE/METHICONE COPOLYMER, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, STEARIC ACID, IRON OXIDES (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499).

on 6/23/2015 4:43:00 PM

This is one of the best foundations I've worn. It's incredibly smooth and soft, and so moisturising. It stays the whole day under setting powder with no oxidisation or creasing. Unfortunately it can get a bit too thick, and also the cap can tend to break a bit.

on 3/31/2015 6:49:00 AM

I'm somewhat of a foundation junky. I've used foundations from a lot of different brands (incl. Giorgio Armani, Nars, MAC, Chanel, Lancome, Rimmel, Maybelline, Revlon etc.) and this is honestly up there with the best of them. Previously I was a devout lover of Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk but this one may just top it for me.

I like a medium coverage (with the option to go to full) satin/dewy finish foundation that doesn't cling to my annoying dry patches. It also has to have a shade to match my very fair skin (I'm a touch lighter than MAC NC/NW 15). Ellis Faas has delivered on all of these needs.

It's a medium coverage foundation when used with a flat-top buffing brush but can be built up to full coverage (particularly if used with a sponge). It's probably one of the thickest foundations I've ever used - the texture is like a really creamy moisturiser, probably because of how hydrating it is. I'd say it's more on the dewy-side but that could also be because I use a lot of hydrating/nourishing products to prep my skin. Either way it's probably more suited to drier/combo skins, I can imagine this slipping right off an oiler skin type.

It doesn't sink into pores, it doesn't cling to dry patches (which a lot of other foundations do despite my pre-foundation routine of layering like 5 hydrating products) and it covers really well. It conceals most of my imperfections (unless I have a gigantic red pimple) so I find I need a lot less concealer when using this foundation. I feel like it has quite decent staying power but I wouldn't call it long wear. I do use a primer and a powder (By Terry HydraPowder/Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder) to set it most days which definitely increases its longevity.

It also photographs BEAUTIFULLY! There's a reason why makeup artists love it because it just looks so lovely and natural in photos. Like your skin but better. It never looks cakey or powdery.

Not a massive fan of the packaging, it's not bad but it's not great either. Because of the thickness of the product it can be a little difficult to get it out when you're nearing the end of the bottle.

As a previous reviewer said, this is definitely a foundation to add to your arsenal if you're into foundations!

on 2/8/2015 10:13:00 PM

I purchased this foundation after deciding to try as many "second skin" foundations as possible in the pursuit of finding the perfect one. In this journey I found beautiful formulations and some not too brilliant. Ellis Faas Skin Veil foundation falls in between, if I had to grade it from 0 to 10 it would earn a 6, and the reasons are the following,

1.- Lasting Power. The lasting power of this foundation was the main reason why I did not fall in love with this foundation. I have slightly combination skin that falls more towards the dry side. I tried this foundation with a variety of moisturizers, primers and nude skin, and nothing changed the staying power of it. Overall, it lasts on my skin from 3 to 4.5 hours. However, the texture of it starts to change significantly.

2.- Price. It varies from 90 to 115 from different retailers. I obtained mine for about 90 dlls. I understand why some foundations can be very expensive due to research and great formulations behind them. However, I consider that Ellis Faas Skin Veil Foundation's formula does not justify paying 90 or more for it. The texture is beautiful, probably the most luxurious textures I have felt on my skin when it comes to foundations. It is noticeable creamy and moisturizing delivering a medium coverage. After just applied, the skin looks healthy and blowy, but something happens after 15 to 20 minutes that the original foundation's effect starts to disappear to provide a much more bb cream look. It almost feels like the skin absorbs it or it just evaporates leaving a light hint of color that at the end of 3 to 4.5 hours just cannot justify the price of it.

3.- Appearance. Glowy and creamy. Accentuates pores and stays in fine lines. I am 24 and only have light lines under my eyes that are not even considered wrinkles yet, but I find the foundation constantly sitting in there, which contradicts the "second skin" effect I seek to obtain.

I consider the overall performance of this foundation as a slightly more tinted moisturizer or a pigmented bb cream. If you want something just extra to embellish your skin tone or give a glow to your face this might be for you. Again, I would not repurchase, but this does not mean that it is a bad product. Ellis Faas has some beautiful lip formulations as the creamy lips range. It is just this formulation that did not impress me at all.

If you are looking also for very natural looking foundations with longer staying power I recommend Aqua HD Foundation by Koh Gen Do, Le Metier de Beaute Foundation, and Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer, this last one combined with your favorite cream creates a very similar effect to the Ellis Faas Skin Veil foundation.

on 1/30/2015 3:20:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is my HG foundation!!! I was certainly put off by the price AU$110, so I endeavoured to try a sample first. I am S104L and it is a pretty good match!

A little bit goes a long way. In my little sample pot I received from Mecca, it lasted me at least 5 days wear and I like light to medium coverage.

Works amazingly with an illuminating primer, I use Mecca's Lit from Within or Laura Mercier's Illuminating primer. I buff the foundation in with my Real Techniques expert face brush and it works a dream! A set with By Terry's Hydra Powder, which goes matte momentarily but later enhances the glow of the foundation later in the day.

I like medium coverage on most days as I have acne scarring and dark circles and this lasts all day. I only get a bit of oxidation on my nose when I wear my glasses and sweat but that is my only complaint. I'm sure those with glass would understand.

I would not purchase this foundation in the pen form as I've heard the packaging in pen form really lets down the product. I have the frosted bottle, which will last me forever!

I am also an MUA so am considering investing in this foundation for my kit as it has an amazing finish and is long wearing as well as luminous!

on 1/24/2015 3:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this foundation based on Wayne Goss's recommendation for this product as this is his one of his holy grail foundations. I'm NC 35 and bought the color S104 but unfortunately, this product did not match my skin color, even though it was supposed to be the closest match. It is the most yellow tone color out of all the foundations yet, it is still too pink, I'm Chinese and this color definitely does not match my skin tone. The consistency is quite good. It's a bit on the thicker side, which probably why it provides a lot of coverage, but at the same time, it gives me acne. I notice it after I remove it and I see pimples on my face. The packaging is good as it is pump format so it is hygienic. However, it is not good for travel purposes as the packaging is bulky. I did not note any particular smell to the foundation either when I applied it. One thing I did notice was that it does not work well with dry patches. It actually accentuated my dry patches and it could be because the foundation is a little thicker. Other than that, I wished the color matched me :( I have contacted Ellis Faas and their customer service is great. Unfortunately, I bought the product off BeautyBay.com and could not receive a refund of the product. Try getting samples from their website by contacting customer service and they will send the samples to you prior to buying the full size as it is quite expensive. I would not repurchase based on my personal experience.

on 1/19/2015 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This foundation is amazing! I wore it for 12 hours straight and it literally looked as if I had just applied it. Just for reference, I am NC 30 and I wear the color 103 and 104. It is very expensive but definitely worth the money!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Let's start off with 1 thing, this foundation is expensive!! If you are a foundation junky though, you need this in your collection!

Coverage/Finish: This foundation has medium to full coverage. The coverage however is very flexible if you change your application method. This foundation gives a dewy finish without being too greasy.

Consistency: This is a thick formula, with a gel/cream texture. A small amount of this product goes a long way and is easily blended.

Skin type? I would personally not recommend this foundation to an oily skin type without the use of an oil control or mattifying primer. With a primer though I do not think there would be an issue.

Price: $$$ you are looking at forking out approximately $110 for this foundation, I recommend getting a sample from your mecca counter or Sephora so that you can truly test this foundation before you buy.

Photos? This foundation photographs fantastically! It does NOT flashback, and shows a glow without looking like a super shiny foundation. double thumbs up for photos!

All in all this product is beautiful, it truly is skin like and provides a really good amount of coverage. This is a luxurious product that I would recommend to anybody who is looking for a unique foundation.

Brought to you by Honest Reviews

on 12/27/2014 2:22:00 PM

This is my favorite foundation right now, and it has been for the past year. I prefer this over Armani, Chanel, Koh Gen Do, YSL, etc. I've tried a lot of foundations

I have decent skin, but it is dry. This foundation is medium coverage with a very natural and slightly glowing finish. It lasts the entire day for me and just makes my skin look so diffused and perfected, like I have perfect lighting following me around! I don't have to set it with powder. It isn't drying and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, but I wouldn't exactly call it a hydrating formula.

I recommend buying this from beauty.com as they occasionally have coupons or a percentage off purchases.

on 12/13/2014 5:34:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I live in Turkey. Because of the taxes, cosmetic prices are higher than most of the other countries. Anyway I paid a little fortune - 240 turkish liras- , I had enough faith that its gonna work. Maybe my expectations were too high I dont know. My skin color is nw15-20( not that pink, on the neutral side). I bought the color 101.This color is peachy neutral undertone. Because of the little peachiness it brightens up my complexion.The problem about this foundation are
1) it doesnt last. REALLY. I can only manage this work max 5 hours. It slides off after a while. I cannot make this foundation to stick to my face. I used different primers and powders. I tried with cargo hd primer - haurglass skin veil primer - cicaplast - porefessional. None of them make any difference. I also tried nars light reflecting setting powder - kryolan transparant - givenchy prisme libre - la praire cellular powder treatment - too faced invisible. The best manageble combo is hourglass primer and nars light reflecting setting powder.
2)It feels like you cannot spread this because of thickness. But somehow after you rubbed into the skin, it melts on the skin so much and you realize you need to blend more and more. Eventually you end up with overblending . Therefore getting good coverage becomes difficult. First you think 1 pump probably wont be enough, but then you realize nearly half pump is enough to cover your entire face. By the way applying with beauty blender cause so much product waste. You should apply it with your hands first. Then you should use bb to get hd effect.
3) It oxidized a little. You dont look like orange but you look definetely a little bit darker.

Dont get me wrong it is a good foundation. Look like a skin. It gives a beautiful glow to the skin. Unfortunately, it didnt wow me. You can get the same effect with
1) rimmel wake me up (if you can get a good color match)
2) armani designer lift ( only gives same effect if you apply little amount. Remember less is more.)
3) skin79 bb cream (espeacially the pink and gold ones)

on 12/8/2014 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

For once I was smart and asked Ellis Faas for samples and waited the nearly 4 weeks. They finally came and I expected a ton from this foundation. It sounded like it would tick all of my boxes but sadly it did not.

Coverage: On me was almost non-existent. I get better coverage from tinted moisturizers.

Texture: Goes on super light but as the day wore on I felt I could scrape this off of my skin with a fingernail. It felt pasty and looked powdery after 8 hours of wear.

Colors: I received the 1st four colors and could wear 02 and 03. 02 looked too light on me at first but oxidized to probably the better color choice. Comparing the two side by side, 02 is more peachy in the tube. 03 looked better initially but did not wear on my skin as well, color wise. I am NC 25, Chantecaille vanilla, L'Oreal nude beige, MUFE 20.

Wearability: Lasted all day on me but like I said above I wanted to remove it after 8-10 hours but I made myself wear it all day until bed so I could really see what it was all about.

Finish: A lot of people talk about the luminising qualities of this foundation but I didn't experience that at all. I didn't see any minimizing of flaws, any betterment of the look of my skin. Nothing to speak of. I look better with just concealer, and I like and wear foundation most days.

Skin Reaction: This made me break out! Haven't done that in awhile to a makeup so pretty surprised.

Thank God I got samples first. I was so ready to jump on this band wagon but this just was no good for me.