October 30, 2014 | 1345 users online

Foundations - Ellis Faas - Skin Veil

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2014 6:46:00 AM More reviews by Narsfanatic

I didn't like their click pen system so I bought the glass bottle one. Although im a bit obsessed with foundation, this is the only one I've been using consistently. It's pricey, but it works for my dry skin. I don't have blendability issues like others and I tend I use my fingers or mac's oval brush when I want to layer for more coverage. The finish is dewy but not overly so, very natural, didn't emphasize pores either . Coverage? I'd say medium coverage and buildable

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 10:08:00 PM More reviews by addkg777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

its kind of ironic because right before i recieved this foundation, i had sworn off foundations for good. i couldnt find the right color, texture, long wear, and most importantly for me, not break me out. and im one of those who have tried ALOT of foundations. from the cheapest to the high end. admittedly, i swapped for this so i didnt techincally pay the 90$ but i will once i run out. which will take forever because i have the glass frosted bottle.

the reason i swore off foundation before this is because i have old acne scars and noticable pores. they are very mild and only noticable in certain lighting but when i was wearing a full face of foundation (especially dewy moisturizing) it amplified my scars times a billion. it was horrifying.. so i gave up and decided to stick with concealers. until this came along.

now on to the actual review lol (sorry)
this changed my way of thinking and it is now a holy grail because the finish is TRULY skin like. not dewy. not matte. not semi matte. not satin. if i had to pick, it would be closest to dewy but thats only because its not drying in the least. it literally looks just like my skin.

it last all day on me but since my skin leads oily in the summer time, my natural oils start to break through and honestly i love it. it stays true to color. no oxidation and s101 is perfect for my fair skin. some of the reviews below said they noticed it turn a little pink on them. for me this was not the case at all. its very neutral on me.

it does not amplify my pores or small scars in any lighting. and trust me ive checked haha. it just looks extremly natural! it doesnt make me break out and i always wear a new foundation on one half of my face for a few days just to be sure :)

the texture isnt runny and its not creamy. i cant think of another foundation texture to compare it to but this blends seamlessy and effortlesly. i only apply this to flaws or discolorations on my face and blend it into my skin with sephora multi tasker brush

the coverage is a light to medium. i dont think its like a tinted moisturizer at all. if i need a little extra coverage, i can apply one more light layer and it does the trick! no cakiness ever.

all in all, even with the expensive price tag, i will always own this :) having nice looking skin is very important to me and this has given me a confidence in myself that no other makeup base has ever given me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2014 6:21:00 AM More reviews by iceburger

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favourite foundations of all time. For reference, I am an NC30 with strong olive (green) undertones and have combo/oily skin. I don't have acne or any major scarring. I need foundation to even out my skin tone and make it look smooth, polished and pretty. This foundation fits the bill very well.

Before we start, another variable I feel compelled to include in this review is my skin prep, as it will very likely affect the performance of this foundation. At the time I used this foundation, I always prepped my skin with Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturiser and Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF50. The latter makes all of my foundations last 10+ hours, so keep that in mind.

SHADE: None of the shades match me perfectly. 104 has strong yellow undertones but is too dark for me. 103 is a better match depth-wise but is too pink.

PACKAGING: The bottle is very practical in design: the pump dispenser is very easy to use and you can easily control the amount of product dispensed. I have never dropped my bottle, so I have no idea how fragile it is. The plastic cap, however, is very flimsy.

TEXTURE/CONSISTENCY: This reminds me of Chantecaille Future Skin. It is a very thick gel foundation. Although viscous, it is very lightweight and easy to blend into the skin. It doesn't spread well due to its thickness, so I would recommend either dabbing a bit all over your face before you attempt to blend.

COVERAGE: I use one pump and I would say it offers light-medium coverage, which is perfect for my needs (described above). You can build it up to a solid medium coverage.

FINISH: In between dewy and satin. It is very luminous and skin-like but not greasy or oily. The finish is very refined, and the foundation is undetectable on the skin, even in natural lighting. I hate it when foundations look obvious on the skin and look like 'makeup'; this foundation is not like that at all. My skin still looks like skin but 10x better. It is great at optically blurring my pores and other textural imperfections. My skin looks so smooth with this but never fake or made up. A word of caution though: When my skin was flaking heavily due to starting Differin usage, it emphasized my flakes.

LONGEVITY: The selling point of this foundation in my opinion is that it is both luminous and long-lasting. When I think of long-lasting foundations, I tend to think of heavy, full-coverage, matte foundations like Estee Lauder Double Wear or Revlon Colorstay. I'm not a fan of those and it frustrates me because I have oily skin, so I need something that's tenacious. This foundation blows my mind. I've worn this clubbing in summer. Lots of dancing and sweating was involved but this foundation stayed put, even though I didn't use my usual sunscreen (since it was night time). Sweat still breaks though and I'll get shiny, but this foundation won't slide right off, or become patchy or cakey like many luminous foundations do. It doesn't last as long as MAC Pro Longwear though, which is the most tenacious foundation I have ever used. That one lasts 14+ hours on my oily skin, rain, hail or shine.

PRICE: At AU$110, this is the most expensive foundation I have ever purchased.

FINAL VERDICT: This is a fantastic foundation, but it's not worth the price in my opinion. The reason being that I have tried other foundations that look even better (especially Armani Luminous Silk and Designer Lift) and are cheaper. It isn't flake-friendly, so if you have such a skin issue, stay away from it. Furthermore, I have no shade match in this foundation. I would actually give it a 4.5 if I could.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2014 10:13:00 AM More reviews by RJDJ54

This is my HG foundation.
Ellis Faas skin veil foundation i love you!

I am in Mac terms a NW20(winter)/NW25(summer) and have used the foundation pen in S102 and now i have the bottle in S103

At first when i got the pen i hated it, it was a struggle to get anything out, but then i watched the video on the website and i did everything wrong :-)
i used it on a part of my face and i got scared, it looked very pink and milky but when i buffed it futher on it seemed to addapt to my skincolor and it looked as if i had nothing on my face but made me look so amazing.

Just a awsom dewy medium coverage foundation that really looks like skin (but better)

i do have the bottle now because of the price and content (that is cheaper) It is pricey but it is so worth it.

I use the expert face brush by real techniques and/or the sigma f82 to apply it. And you only have to use one pomp and it covers your entire face.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2014 7:57:00 AM More reviews by boogs77

I dunno.....Why do I have such trouble with this foundation? No slip. Have trouble blending it in.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2014 4:16:00 PM More reviews by mariselayoung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Oh, how I wanted to hate this foundation! Like many of you, I was turned on to this product by Wayne Goss, who is an almighty makeup prophet, and instantly started scouring the Internet in search of reviews and demos, which sadly, there are very few of.

I do believe the lack of people talking about this product results from the ridiculous price tag. As someone who is going to drop the big bucks on Skin Veil, I assure you that I am not rich, and that this was a decision I have thoroughly thought through. That is how great this foundation is. Great enough to eat nothing but eggs and ramen for the next few weeks!

Okay, now onto an actual review of Ellis Faas Skin Veil! The main thing I was looking for in a foundation was a product that actually mimicked the texture of skin. This was Wayne's main selling point and he is totally right. I work under harsh fluorescent lights, and I always noticed when I would check my makeup in the mirror, that even my favorite foundations looked a bit cake-y or powdery and that drove me nuts. With Skin Veil, this is not an issue.

It comes out quite a bit thicker than I would have expected - it has a similar consistency to that of a tinted moisturizer - but when you put in on your face (I prefer to apply with my fingers rather than with a brush) it melts into the skin beautifully and gives you a natural glow, like you are perpetually surrounded by candlelight.

And, as a person with combo/oily skin, the word "glow" can be a turn-off. I would say the finish is more velvety than dewy, and though I do have to set my T-Zone with powder, I still look great 8 hours later. But, if you are a person that isn't okay with the idea of having to occasionally use oil blotting sheets and wants more cement-like staying power, I would look elsewhere.

Additionally, this has quite light coverage. I do not have perfect skin - I have some minor acne scarring and hyper-pigmentation left over from my nightmarish teen years, and Skin Veil smooths over and blurs my imperfections rather than covering them. It won't give you a flawless finish, but when you look in the mirror, there's just something about your skin that looks so healthy and lovely.

A tip for all of you seriously considering Skin Veil: E-mail Ellis Faas and ask for them to send you a few samples! Not only was I able to discern the right shade for my skin tone (S105 - A great shade for light/medium skin with neutral/slightly pink undertones) but I got a 10% discount along with it. And if you don't end up liking your sample, then you won't have wasted all that money!

Overall, this is an amazing beautiful gorgeous insert-more-positive-adjectives-here foundation. And while it is an investment, it is Holy Grail material and it will prevent me from wasting even more money on other foundations in the long run.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/1/2014 4:05:00 PM More reviews by yolanda71

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I consider great deal the reviews of Wayne Goss. He praise this foundation. So, i tried a few samples, shades S102 and S103. For a pricey foundation...a huge failure.
I have light skin with yellow undertones. I am a classic MAC NC25. Also i have extreme redness, dermatitis and combination/dry skin.
a) The range of colors is limited. The shade S102 is slightly light for my skintone and the S103 is slightly pinkish. The shade S104 has yellow undertones but it is ideal only for a MAC NC35.
b) The coverage is very light, like a tinted moisturizer. I do not think that is buildable. If you have, like me, skin with serious problems, do not buy it.
c) It applies smoothly and it has a wonderful finish. The finish is so dewy that you will not need any highlighter product!! These are the only advantages.
d) It fades after 6 hours.
Overall, it is a good foundation for rich girls with good skin. For me, it is pricey mediocre foundation. I really do not understand why Wayne Goss praise it...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Paulaiea

I agree that the brush is useless, since it is a waste of product and hardly impossible to keep clean. But I solved the problem by cutting off completely all the bristles with a razor blade, since I still like the pen to carry with me. Now I can apply the foundation however I want. Usually I use fingers, sometimes a brush (which is much easier to clean since the foundation is mainly at the tip of the brush). Did the same with the eye shadows. Like this, no more clogging of pen or waisting of producht at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2014 6:15:00 AM More reviews by cathykl

This is such a gorgeous foundation for those who want a natural, dewy finish. The coverage is sheer-light and buildable to medium depending on method of application. I have the shade S103 (for light-medium skin with neutral undertones) and I do wish it could be a touch more yellow although it does match well and allows your own skin to show through (for reference my skin is NC20/C2 in MAC, NARS The Radiant Cream in Fiji, Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation in Light-Medium Sand, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk in 5, Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo in Light 49, Dior DiorSkin Forever Compact in #21, Revlon Nearly Naked in #130 Shell, MUFE HD Foundation in #11 and Bobbi Brown Skin in 2.5).

Packaging: Don't like it. I personally do not like the click-style pens at all - the product gets caught in the hairs/foam top, you need to sanitize and clean it repeatedly plus the hairs fall out, ain't nobody got time for that - so I got the pump bottle. I wish they would change the packaging for the entire line - even the Faas eyeliner I tried was horrid and dry, the blush pen also dry/crumbly and you can click it 30 times and often nothing will come out, then bam, half the thing spills out just as you realize you are late for work. But it's whats inside that counts right?

The negatives: Only 8 shades, which is ridiculous. Also the price is rather obscene for a foundation (about $65 for the teensy tiny click-pen style and $90 USD for the pump bottle at Sephora or online at ellisfaas.com), and lastly the staying power if used alone, or with primer isn't great.

The positives: If you can find a matching shade, the foundation itself is lovely - looks very much like skin (again, the coverage is not high - so if you want full coverage this is one to avoid). It will cover some minor imperfections and has a dewiness to it without the addition of glitter/shimmer. It's also hydrating and doesn't dry out my skin which is amazing (well, for me anyway) although I do need to use some setting powder in my t-zone otherwise this stuff will slide off by noon if not before - and this is even when used with a primer. It feels very lightweight on skin and photographs beautifully - and looks perfect in real life. I love, love, love the natural, dewy finish. This is like a tinted moisturiser with a bit more coverage.

I have no issues with oxidisation, it blends so easily and feels very soft on skin, and doesn't transfer onto clothes or anything like many foundations can. It would probably suit most skin types except very oily (as there is no oil-control whatsoever, and the finish is dewy so unless you're willing to powder repeatedly. . )

Highly recommend trying this out if you can find a shade match.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by greymattergirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is for the bottle not the pen.

HOLY GRAIL!!!!!!!!!!! After years of searching and becoming a total foundation junkie, I have found my HG! I am so angry it took so long for me to get around to trying this. This foundation has everything I have been looking for and thought was unattainable. My liquid foundation collection presently holds MUFE F&B, Chanel Vitalumeire Aqua, Guerlain Lingere de Peau, and the Luminous one, Keyvn Aucoin SSE, YSL Touche Eclat foundation, Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24hr, EL Double Wear, both the original and light versions, Armani Maestro, MUFE HD, and Shesiedo Perfection Refining foundation. Out of these there are some real winners in my book..the Guerlain LdP and YSL ones are the standouts for me. That being said, each foundation has its drawbacks. Some get shiny after a few hours, some wear away to quickly or get patchy, some oxidize, etc, I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. I have often had the issue with some foundations adhering differently on certain parts of my face, namely the cheek area, even though I'm not particularly oily. This foundation covers perfectly and smooths over any and all textural differences in my skin. It minimizes pores, it evens tone, it feels so bloody soft on the skin, and it transfers far less than some of my "long wearing" foundations. It did not get shiny in the t-zone after 2-3 hours like some radiant foundations tend to do on me. It has a beautiful finish, not matte, nor very dewy, more a satin finish IMHO..very glowy but natural. Very youthful looking I would say. I honestly can not find fault with it. For my skin type, this foundation is perfection and has ended my quest for the illusive HG. As long as this foundation is being produced, I will never purchase another. I find this foundation to have light to medium coverage and is buildable to a point, but not full coverage. It is creamier than I would have thought, but it blends like a dream and feels very comfortable on the skin and I've never experienced it feeling mask like. I am quite scent sensitive, and while I detect ever so slight a fragrance in it, it's almost imperceptible and pleasant. This stuff is magic my friends. Unless your skin is to the extreme of dry or oily, I think this formula will suit many skin types. If your thinking of trying this foundation, I urge you to get a sample and give it a try...don't be a fool and put it off like I did. It really must been seen to be believed. I don't know what they're putting in this stuff or how it works, but they are doing something right over at Ellis Faas, I am completely blown away and shocked. It has taken foundations I thought I loved and shown me there is something better. This is a total game changer, and I could never go back to sub par foundation again..not when there is perfection to be had. The price is out of control, yes, but I will pay it gladly as long as they are making this. (90$ US)

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No