April 17, 2014 | 1607 users online

Foundations - Ellis Faas - Skin Veil

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2014 4:16:00 PM More reviews by mariselayoung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Oh, how I wanted to hate this foundation! Like many of you, I was turned on to this product by Wayne Goss, who is an almighty makeup prophet, and instantly started scouring the Internet in search of reviews and demos, which sadly, there are very few of.

I do believe the lack of people talking about this product results from the ridiculous price tag. As someone who is going to drop the big bucks on Skin Veil, I assure you that I am not rich, and that this was a decision I have thoroughly thought through. That is how great this foundation is. Great enough to eat nothing but eggs and ramen for the next few weeks!

Okay, now onto an actual review of Ellis Faas Skin Veil! The main thing I was looking for in a foundation was a product that actually mimicked the texture of skin. This was Wayne's main selling point and he is totally right. I work under harsh fluorescent lights, and I always noticed when I would check my makeup in the mirror, that even my favorite foundations looked a bit cake-y or powdery and that drove me nuts. With Skin Veil, this is not an issue.

It comes out quite a bit thicker than I would have expected - it has a similar consistency to that of a tinted moisturizer - but when you put in on your face (I prefer to apply with my fingers rather than with a brush) it melts into the skin beautifully and gives you a natural glow, like you are perpetually surrounded by candlelight.

And, as a person with combo/oily skin, the word "glow" can be a turn-off. I would say the finish is more velvety than dewy, and though I do have to set my T-Zone with powder, I still look great 8 hours later. But, if you are a person that isn't okay with the idea of having to occasionally use oil blotting sheets and wants more cement-like staying power, I would look elsewhere.

Additionally, this has quite light coverage. I do not have perfect skin - I have some minor acne scarring and hyper-pigmentation left over from my nightmarish teen years, and Skin Veil smooths over and blurs my imperfections rather than covering them. It won't give you a flawless finish, but when you look in the mirror, there's just something about your skin that looks so healthy and lovely.

A tip for all of you seriously considering Skin Veil: E-mail Ellis Faas and ask for them to send you a few samples! Not only was I able to discern the right shade for my skin tone (S105 - A great shade for light/medium skin with neutral/slightly pink undertones) but I got a 10% discount along with it. And if you don't end up liking your sample, then you won't have wasted all that money!

Overall, this is an amazing beautiful gorgeous insert-more-positive-adjectives-here foundation. And while it is an investment, it is Holy Grail material and it will prevent me from wasting even more money on other foundations in the long run.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/1/2014 4:05:00 PM More reviews by yolanda71

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I consider great deal the reviews of Wayne Goss. He praise this foundation. So, i tried a few samples, shades S102 and S103. For a pricey foundation...a huge failure.
I have light skin with yellow undertones. I am a classic MAC NC25. Also i have extreme redness, dermatitis and combination/dry skin.
a) The range of colors is limited. The shade S102 is slightly light for my skintone and the S103 is slightly pinkish. The shade S104 has yellow undertones but it is ideal only for a MAC NC35.
b) The coverage is very light, like a tinted moisturizer. I do not think that is buildable. If you have, like me, skin with serious problems, do not buy it.
c) It applies smoothly and it has a wonderful finish. The finish is so dewy that you will not need any highlighter product!! These are the only advantages.
d) It fades after 6 hours.
Overall, it is a good foundation for rich girls with good skin. For me, it is pricey mediocre foundation. I really do not understand why Wayne Goss praise it...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Paulaiea

I agree that the brush is useless, since it is a waste of product and hardly impossible to keep clean. But I solved the problem by cutting off completely all the bristles with a razor blade, since I still like the pen to carry with me. Now I can apply the foundation however I want. Usually I use fingers, sometimes a brush (which is much easier to clean since the foundation is mainly at the tip of the brush). Did the same with the eye shadows. Like this, no more clogging of pen or waisting of producht at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2014 6:15:00 AM More reviews by cathykl

This is such a gorgeous foundation for those who want a natural, dewy finish. The coverage is sheer-light and buildable to medium depending on method of application. I have the shade S103 (for light-medium skin with neutral undertones) and I do wish it could be a touch more yellow although it does match well and allows your own skin to show through (for reference my skin is NC20/C2 in MAC, NARS The Radiant Cream in Fiji, Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation in Light-Medium Sand, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk in 5, Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo in Light 49, Dior DiorSkin Forever Compact in #21, Revlon Nearly Naked in #130 Shell, MUFE HD Foundation in #11 and Bobbi Brown Skin in 2.5).

Packaging: Don't like it. I personally do not like the click-style pens at all - the product gets caught in the hairs/foam top, you need to sanitize and clean it repeatedly plus the hairs fall out, ain't nobody got time for that - so I got the pump bottle. I wish they would change the packaging for the entire line - even the Faas eyeliner I tried was horrid and dry, the blush pen also dry/crumbly and you can click it 30 times and often nothing will come out, then bam, half the thing spills out just as you realize you are late for work. But it's whats inside that counts right?

The negatives: Only 8 shades, which is ridiculous. Also the price is rather obscene for a foundation (about $65 for the teensy tiny click-pen style and $90 USD for the pump bottle at Sephora or online at ellisfaas.com), and lastly the staying power if used alone, or with primer isn't great.

The positives: If you can find a matching shade, the foundation itself is lovely - looks very much like skin (again, the coverage is not high - so if you want full coverage this is one to avoid). It will cover some minor imperfections and has a dewiness to it without the addition of glitter/shimmer. It's also hydrating and doesn't dry out my skin which is amazing (well, for me anyway) although I do need to use some setting powder in my t-zone otherwise this stuff will slide off by noon if not before - and this is even when used with a primer. It feels very lightweight on skin and photographs beautifully - and looks perfect in real life. I love, love, love the natural, dewy finish. This is like a tinted moisturiser with a bit more coverage.

I have no issues with oxidisation, it blends so easily and feels very soft on skin, and doesn't transfer onto clothes or anything like many foundations can. It would probably suit most skin types except very oily (as there is no oil-control whatsoever, and the finish is dewy so unless you're willing to powder repeatedly. . )

Highly recommend trying this out if you can find a shade match.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by greymattergirl

This review is for the bottle not the pen.

HOLY GRAIL!!!!!!!!!!! After years of searching and becoming a total foundation junkie, I have found my HG! I am so angry it took so long for me to get around to trying this. This foundation has everything I have been looking for and thought was unattainable. My liquid foundation collection presently holds MUFE F&B, Chanel Vitalumeire Aqua, Guerlain Lingere de Peau, and the Luminous one, Keyvn Aucoin SSE, YSL Touche Eclat foundation, Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24hr, EL Double Wear, both the original and light versions, Armani Maestro, MUFE HD, and Shesiedo Perfection Refining foundation. Out of these there are some real winners in my book..the Guerlain LdP and YSL ones are the standouts for me. That being said, each foundation has its drawbacks. Some get shiny after a few hours, some wear away to quickly or get patchy, some oxidize, etc, I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. I have often had the issue with some foundations adhering differently on certain parts of my face, namely the cheek area, even though I'm not particularly oily. This foundation covers perfectly and smooths over any and all textural differences in my skin. It minimizes pores, it evens tone, it feels so bloody soft on the skin, and it transfers far less than some of my "long wearing" foundations. It did not get shiny in the t-zone after 2-3 hours like some radiant foundations tend to do on me. It has a beautiful finish, not matte, nor very dewy, more a satin finish IMHO..very glowy but natural. Very youthful looking I would say. I honestly can not find fault with it. For my skin type, this foundation is perfection and has ended my quest for the illusive HG. As long as this foundation is being produced, I will never purchase another. I find this foundation to have light to medium coverage and is buildable to a point, but not full coverage. It is creamier than I would have thought, but it blends like a dream and feels very comfortable on the skin and I've never experienced it feeling mask like. I am quite scent sensitive, and while I detect ever so slight a fragrance in it, it's almost imperceptible and pleasant. This stuff is magic my friends. Unless your skin is to the extreme of dry or oily, I think this formula will suit many skin types. If your thinking of trying this foundation, I urge you to get a sample and give it a try...don't be a fool and put it off like I did. It really must been seen to be believed. I don't know what they're putting in this stuff or how it works, but they are doing something right over at Ellis Faas, I am completely blown away and shocked. It has taken foundations I thought I loved and shown me there is something better. This is a total game changer, and I could never go back to sub par foundation again..not when there is perfection to be had. The price is out of control, yes, but I will pay it gladly as long as they are making this. (90$ US)

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2013 4:44:00 PM More reviews by LeslieCZ

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a lovely, easy to apply, VERY natural looking foundation and is great for my dry skin. I saw it reviewed by GOSS Makeup Artist on YouTube and decided to give it a try as I like most of his suggestions. As he recommended, I apply it with a damp beauty blender sponge and it really looks like I am not wearing makeup. Plus it has SPF15 and just enough moisture/silicone so it glides on evenly and stays that way all day. As GOSS (and some prior reviewers noted), you can "stipple" it on any still showing spots or blemishes once you've applied the overall "veil". I got the lightest shade (S101L) and it's a perfect match for my pale face. It truly looks invisible yet evens skin tone beautifully. Skin Veil is a perfect product description and I would recommend it for anyone looking for a finished, but still natural look.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 12:04:00 PM More reviews by xtinahb

Phenomenal foundation. Tried and purchased after seeing gossmakeupartist reco this is fabulous "real skin" foundation with decent coverage. It is incredible on my combination NC30/ C4 light Asian tan skin. I purchased the pen packaging version in S104 and it is the best foundation match I have experienced for my current fading tan (my most common year round shade). It truly melds to the skin after letting it sit for a minute or two. Pores disappear, soft, radiant, but polished near flawless finish. It is very unique with great pigmentation. I may be the only user who loves the packaging; it is sleek and travels everywhere. I am careful to crank one turn at a time, waiting to see if product appears. I never crank several times in a row because it will indeed dispense too much. I apply with the brush and blend with fingers. Definitely pricey, definitely little product for the $, but I will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2013 1:11:00 PM More reviews by Pocketchic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The obly reson I won't buy this foundation again is because my skin broke out after four days. Which is such a shame because I LOVED the product.

The coverage is sheer, just a bit more than tinted moisturizer but less than a fundation. You can apply multiple layers, but I'm not a fan of that method. I'd prefer using a foundation with better coverage and a good camouflage on top. Skin Veil is perfect for everyday use when you want to look "pulled together" but not not "made up". Light texture and I found it very easy to apply with my fingers. The finish is dewy, not glowy. I have combination skin and Skin Veil works perfectly on all areas. It made me look fresh, not shiny. I only use a little loose powder on my nose after applying Skin Veil.

I used 104 and 105 for my tinted Asian colouring and both work.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2013 3:16:00 AM More reviews by livelovemakeup1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this product from Mecca Cosmetica in Australia.

As a makeup artist, Iím always looking for new foundations and products for my kit. I have to say that trying and buying foundations is really important for me. Iím still on the lookout for that HG foundation.
The price is expensive. It is more expensive than a Chanel foundation but I have seen other foundations that are far more expensive than this.

The coverage is medium but buildable.

The finish is semi-dewy/satin.

It also has a SPF 15.

This foundation (even though the SA convinced me was for all skin types) is really designed for people with normal to dry skin. On my combination skin, it got oily fairly quickly. And yes, I did powder my skin after applying the Ellis Faas foundation.

Initially, this foundation looked fantastic. Almost flawless with a beautiful glow and it didnít look cakey at all. The reason I would not buy this foundation again is that itís not suited to my skin type. I can see this foundation look amazing on someone with drier skin. It would keep the skin looking glowy. I constantly see women with dry skin wearing very matte foundations and it makes their skin look very Ďflat.í So if you are on the drier side, try this foundation.

I would recommend always asking the SA or makeup artist in store for a sample pot of the foundation once they have colour matched you. You will never know what a foundation is going to do with your skin until you have worn it for at least a good eight hours. The reason I bought it straight away was just in that crazy, 'I need to buy makeup' mood. I know you crazy makeup loving readers on MUA know what I'm talking about :)

I would say that there are a lot of foundations out there that are actually fantastic but itís a matter of matching it to your skin type too.

So in conclusion, this foundation on my skin was quite average. On my friend's skin, it was amazing. The price is on the more expensive side but it COULD be your HG foundation. The packaging is great too.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2013 7:21:00 PM More reviews by ensei

This really is lovely foundation overall. It has a thicker creamier texture (slightly thinner than Shu Uemura remodelling cream but very similar to Lancome Photogenic Lumessence and other whipped cream foundations) that spreads well and feels light on the skin. Although I feel all of that is an under-exaggeration because it feels and applies like heaven. Feels moisturizing and does not emphasize dryness. Does not cling to flakes at all which every foundation for me does to some extent, but the best part of it is that it dries down to a luminous sheeny skin finish that just looks beautiful.

Yes, the coverage is sheer to medium at most so if you have a lot of acne scarring, this may not be the foundation for you since you'll probably have to layer a lot or conceal afterwards. For me, this foundation is perfect for everyday use because it really enlivens and evens out your complexion. The only cons are the color selection and the pen mechanism. I can't really speak for the pen mechanism here since I've got the bottle, but if it's anything like their other pens, I really don't like it. As for color selection, odds are supposed to be pink-based and evens yellow, but in general the light-medium shades are quite pink/neutral which clashes with my yellow undertones.

Customer service is very good. I contacted Ellis Faas HQ with questions on color matching, and they sent me an international package with samples of foundation colors 101 to 105 free of charge. The samples were generous and more than enough for a couple uses to test color and formula.

I'm NC25 with neutral yellow undertones
102 - definitely a shade lighter (I'd say around NC20 and although this supposedly has yellow undertone, this looks pinker than the 103 on me)
103 - (NC25/30) Looks like the best match when I'm a little bit darker. Melds into the skin when compared to 102 or 104 but has a slight peachy undertone instead of yellow.
104 - definitely too dark, like a shade at least (NC35ish) but with a great yellow tone

EDIT: I've already decided to buy a bottle since I love the formula but still indecisive about the color. I have 102 on one side of the face and 103 on the other. Although it seems that 102 may be a tiny bit too light, it still fits. When comparing side by side, the side with 102 makes my face appear brighter and more wide awake but not too light.

RE-EDIT: I've bought 103 and have been using it more in my foundation rotation. The texture is definitely a thick creamy texture, but it definitely leans a lot more pink than I remember - even pinker than my Guerlain. I counteract this by mixing in a little bit of yellow corrector or a lighter yellow based foundation like Bourjois Healthy Mix 52.

Bottom line: A great foundation for those who want great luminous skin but don't require full coverage. It has the texture that I've been looking for although the color selection is not at all suited for me. It would be perfect if you have neutral/pink undertones. The price tag is quite frankly ridiculous but I'm the type of person willing to shell out this money for a truly great foundation. This is one foundation that has really changed my foundation standards - it's really raised the bar and made me expect more from my foundation. I really do like it but it's not HG for me because of the color range. I don't think a foundation this expensive should require mixing which is why I won't repurchase. A shame but ultimately good for my wallet.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No