MAC Sheer Plum

3.8

on 10/9/2013 4:50:00 PM

I am confused by the mediocre overall rating of this lipstick. I think it's beautiful. I am not gutsy enough (or young enough) to wear the vampy colors that are so popular now, but I love this lipstick and think it works as a great everyday dark plum. Even many hours after application, my lips still have a lovely berry stain that is so flattering. I hope MAC never discontinues it. It's a great lipstick that I can't imagine would look bad on anyone. For reference I am pale to light, wear MAC face & body in C1 and Makeup Forever face and body in 20.

on 9/27/2012 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Wow, I can pinpoint exactly when I bought this: right before high school prom. So ... April 2000. And it's still the only lipstick I own.

Since prom was coming up, I figure I should buy my first-ever cosmetics. I remember going to the MAC counter at the San Francisco Macy's, and a flamboyant man completely befuddled me (and was in turn befuddled). I don't think he'd ever met anyone so anti-makeup before.

Anyway, no matter what colors he painted my lips, I still thought I looked like a clown. I have full lips, and to this day I can't shake the thought that ALL lipstick makes me look ridiculous. I don't know what color looks good on me, frankly.

I remember that the MAC dude, finally desperate, steered me towards this "Sheer Plum" option. "Look, it's as if you're hardly wearing anything at all!" But ... you can totally tell that it's not my natural lip color. It's a little bit pinkishly plum, if I may coin words freely. And it is a little sticky. The husband has said that he is not a fan. So ... I would not repurchase. Instead, I will probably take another 5-10 years on an obsessive search for the perfect, natural, organic lip product that doesn't seem as if I'm wearing anything at all.

But, on the plus side, this lipstick always makes me think of cookies, candy, or just good old plain sugar, whenever I smell it. So that's nice.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

All medium-medium dark skin with yellow undertone should get this lippie. It shows up as a browny red on my skin tone. Love love love it! Its not as dark as its a lustre finish. Would definitely repurchase when I run out!

on 12/13/2011 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I absolutely love this lipstick! Nothing like the picture, thank God. It's sheer plum with a hint of brown to warm it up ..so it's not too plummy:) Not too dark (harsh)...very soft look. Color can be deepened if you apply more coats. Perfect shade for fall/winter. Oh wait..did I mention how white my teeth look wearing this??? Love it!

on 10/19/2011 6:40:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This was the shade i picked when i B2Med. It wasn't the exact shade i was looking for but when i swatched it i loved it. This is a browned plum as indicated by MAC (natural red plum that is, not the purple plums). It is sheer but you can also layer it for opaque-ness. This looks pretty good with my nat strawberry blonde hair & when i dye it light auburn :D

on 1/29/2011 6:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I can't believe they even call it Sheer Plum! It's not sheer or anywhere near a plum shade. The color is more of a light brick brown red with a hint of orange. It's a pretty color, but nothing in terms of what it's described. Luckily the shade goes with my skin tone.

on 12/3/2010 3:27:00 AM

Sadly not a good shade for me as it's too brown and I swear I wore similar shades like this one back in the 90's. This lipstick makes me feel and look old. Not MAC's fault at all, but I just don't feel or think this shade suites me, my tastes, or my fair complexion. I gifted this to a friend and it looks fantastic on her and her medium/tan complexion. She loves the creamy formula, the colour, the versatility of this shade for her many make-up looks, and feels confident wearing this lipstick. Personally not on my repurchase list.

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

As everyone has said the name of this color is truly a misnomer--it is not sheer nor plum! I was hoping for a brownish plum color, but this turned out much more red than expected. I was more satisfied with my purchases of Polished Up and the Tartan Tale A Fabulous Fantasy lip kit, which had raisin lustres that were more what I had in mind. If you want a deep red color, great, but if not save the money.

on 6/19/2009 1:14:00 AM

This is my every day lipstick. When I wear neutral eyes (most days) this is always a perfect match.

I can and do wear it without foundation, too-- it's forgiving and draws no attention to itself or other features, really.

The name is misleading. I don't find this sheer (though it doesn't last all that long) or plum (it's a medium berryish brown). It's so easy to wear and apply, though, that you can do it walking down the street with a coffee in your other hand.

I hope they never discontinue this. I need something stress-free that is always appropriate! I repurchase this every 5 months or so.

on 12/20/2007 10:51:00 PM

I quite like this. It looks like a straight dark brown in the tube, but is a beautiful berry-brown on the lips. It's somewhat dark, but I think the Lustre finish helps in that it's not too flat, matte, or opaque, which would make this color look dated. Leaves a pretty stain on the lips when it fades, applies smoothly, and smells like vanilla.

Popular Lipsticks