October 30, 2014 | 1797 users online

Sunscreen - Johnson & Johnson - Baby Sunscreen Lotion SPF 40

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2012 11:51:00 AM More reviews by rsrph

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

Thick, white, and hard to spread. But it works great and is somewhat natural. The white cast isn't a huge problem for me because I'm really pale anyways, but I can see why others wouldn't like that. This is a great sunscreen at a good price.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by jvioafuioed

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have fair, dryish skin and I need to wear a good moisturizer directly on my skin, ideally one that does not contain a chemical sunscreen - which rarely has enough moisture anyway. The solution: a physical sunblock over my moisturizer. This product is ideal for me, but the trick is knowing how to use it. With any mineral based sunblock, you must must must warm it up in your hands first and then spread it over you skin. otherwise it will spread thick. If you do this, it will sink in to the skin and the white cast will disappear in 10 minutes. In fact, it the titanium/and or zinc oxide will leave you skin with a nice even glow. Most importantly, you will get the benefits of the first product on your skin AND the best sun protection without the chemicals. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise....you CAN NOT put a chemical sunscreen over a serum or moisturizer...it won't protect you.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2012 11:28:00 AM More reviews by iamlizlemon

This product was the only FULLY physical sunscreen at the drugstore. It contains only Titanium Dioxide (12.2%) and Zinc Oxide (5.0%) as sunscreen. I'm not as sensitive to chemical sunscreens on my face but I'm crazy sensitive to them on the rest of my body (neck, arms, legs) and this is the only product that does not break me out in a horrible rash. The SPF40 is broad spectrum UVA/UVB so I think the protection is actually quite good. Even better if you properly apply & reapply. Be aware that this leaves a terrible white cast and is very thick the way you'd expect a sunscreen to be. It is also greasy, however, it's not the greasiest I've ever used. If you want to use this on your face, I recommend blotting with tissue afterwards or setting it with a powder not only to counteract the white cast but also the shine. Try ELF SPF45 or Physicians Formula Healthy Wear SPF50.
PROS --- Does not irritate my sensitive skin. Does not accentuate my dry skin. Easily accessible & inexpensive. Broad spectrum SPF40. Does not break me out.
CONS --- Terrible white cast. Thick consistency is hard to apply (I rub it into my palms & pat it onto my face until it absorbs evenly). Is somewhat greasy.
I

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2012 10:21:00 PM More reviews by horatia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a truly ideal physical SS for sensitive skin. Pros -
Does not cause break outs or white heads.
Does not ball up when rubbed in.
Not too moisturising on its own, but can be worn over a moisturiser and does not dry out skin.
Consistency is quite good. Not paste like, more like johnsons baby cream.
Cons - Awful, awful white cast for me. I am NW 43, the first time I wore this was a true shock. I have made it work for me by warming it between fingers first and then blending for several minutes. But I am looking for a more elegant alternative!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2011 6:36:00 PM More reviews by thedogatemymakeup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This has become my go-to daily sunscreen. It's a bit thick, but no more so than most other physical sunscreens, and it spreads much more easily than other all-physical sunscreens I've tried. It's moisturizing without being too oily, and doesn't settle into creases and lines by the end of the day as some physical sunscreens do. I've been using it for months now and have not had any problems with itching, sensitivity, rashes, or breakouts (my skin is normal to dry, sensitive with rosacea). This sunscreen is slightly whitening but not bad if you're fair to begin with. It's easy to find, too - available in most drug and big box stores. Its wearability, gentle formula, reasonable price, and availability make this a great option for a daily sunscreen for sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2011 6:31:00 PM More reviews by duploid

I'm sensitive and other sunscreens (like Neutrogena) gave me the worse itch and rash on my arms. I'm glad this product exists in my local supermarket (relocated from sunscreen to the baby aisle). I think it's the only product that has zinc oxide and titanium dioxide amongst the big name brands. I've just bought this for the second time for $10.99 (for me,it's a little pricey for the size. But because it has no chemical sunscreens, I'm not so outraged by the cost). I also checked out EWG, and this sunscreen was given a good rating and a high rating for actual sun protection.

This stuff is majorly thick. It feels similarly to squeezing out the last bit of toothpaste from tube. And I do have to add a little bit of another body lotion to make it more pliable. I haven't tried it on my face. I really need a facial sunscreen, and I'm not too enthusiastic in having to buy a separate product. I don't mind the white cast considering that I'm already light in skin tone. I will update later how it applies on my face, and how it appears under my mineral foundation.

**Update: I added a pea-sized amount on my already moisturized cheeks, and it accentuated or even added more flakes and residue to my face. I seem to have that problem with any face cream or foundation products containing a lot of zinc oxide. I think because zinc oxide isn't absorbed into the skin, so it just builds up on top and feels like it's picking up dead skin. And it feels a little drying on my skin. So no point in applying make-up over since it's obvious my face will look like a white flaky mess.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2010 8:32:00 PM More reviews by foofyjen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been looking for a natural sunscreen for my body, to keep myself from burning or freckling when out in the sun.
I was happy to see that this had a great review from EWG, so I picked it up this afternoon at Target.

Like the other reviews mentioned, it was in the baby aisle. Since I live near the beach, I wanted something for my hands and my arms.. I will add to this post after taking it for a test drive over the next few days..

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2010 3:11:00 PM More reviews by Fuuka1209

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Definately thicker that you imagine with the bottle. But it works. I have extremely sensitive skin to sunscreens so the use of only titanium and zinc pulled me right in. I don't recommend using it on your face, try Boscia or something for that. But for arms and shoulders during the summer season it's a good buy. The price is good about 8-10 dollars. Other "natural sunscreens" like Burt's Bees are like $15 for less the amount and not really natural! So if you want a good natural sunscreen go for this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2010 3:23:00 PM More reviews by SugarFreeSheila

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After hearing about this coming out, I was definitely interested - it's about time Johnson's developed a high-SPF sunscreen for babies. Then I checked out the active ingredients, and saw that they are very impressive: 12.4% titanium dioxide & 5% zinc oxide. So, enough UVA & UVB protection to merit a purchase.

Survey says? Well, I look & feel like I have a thick coat of Elmer's Glue all over my face. When I walked into the room where my husband was and said hi, he stopped & went, "Whoa." So, why the high lippie rating? Well, this product isn't meant for me! In fact, you won't even find it with the sunscreens - it's tucked away in the baby aisle. Moms, you might not mind such a cosmetic finish on your babies - but using the recommended half-teaspoon minimum to cover your adult face, you probably won't want such a fabulously theatrical white cast for yourselves!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No