August 23, 2014 | 1780 users online

Hair Treatments - Burt's Bees - avocado hair treatment

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2014 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Flaneuse64

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff, including the citrus-y scent. It is intended as a pre-shampoo treatment and works very well for that, but realistically I don't often want to do through those extra steps so I mostly use it as a styling aid or leave-in conditioner. It has to be applied to WET hair for it to dissolve and blend; otherwise it's just goopy.

When I use it pre-shampoo I squeeze some into a ceramic bowl and microwave it for about 15 seconds first (be careful -- it can get really hot!)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2013 4:46:00 PM More reviews by southernbambi

This pre-shampoo actually works really well... my problem with it isn't the quality, but the fact that you need to use a lot a product. The package suggests to use a table spoon of product, but I find that hard to believe, specially if you have long hair- I do, and I found myself using way more than a table spoon every time I applied this.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2013 7:34:00 AM More reviews by kmm82512

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

First off: If you have fine hair or no issues with dryness, this product is not intended for you. This is a very hydrating product, it contains olive oil and sweet almond oil in addition to the advertised avocado oil, so if your hair is already flat, fine, or moisturized, look elsewhere for something to make your hair shiny, as this will make such hair types oily instead of shiny.

But if you have dry, coarse hair such as myself, it works beautifully. My hair is wavy/curly, BIG, coarse, and incredibly thick (my hairstylist I've been going to for over 15 years says it's 2-3 times thicker than average). I am a petite woman and my big hair overpowers my small frame, so I'm always on the hunt for products that will decrease the volume and make it more proportionate to my face and body.
This treatment caught my eye at my local health foods market after I had read about how great avocado is for coarse hair, so I bought a tube. I've used it 4 times now and it surpasses every other pre-shampoo treatment I've ever tried, even hot oil treatments. My hair is not nearly as bushy, it's much softer, less straw-like, and my curls and waves are more relaxed. The "butter" looks a bit like dark green gel toothpaste... but who cares what it looks like, who cares what consistency it has... it works (for me), and that's all that matters.

Now, my reason for taking off a lippie... a little does NOT go a long way. The directions say to use one tablespoon but it's not easily spreadable and it's not nearly enough for my thick hair. Four uses and I'm already halfway through the tube, which was $8... so, I'm technically spending a whole dollar for each use. Because of this, I only use it once every 3-4 washes (I have dry hair so I wash 3x a week).
Despite all this, it is still highly worth it in my opinion, as I have never had a product do such wonders for my hair. I will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by sofiagonzalez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well I'll start by saying that I have never used a pre-shampoo treatment before. I have tried some things from Burtís before and they have never disappointed me so I decided to buy this even though it seemed expensive for the amount of product. I have dry, frizzy, ash blonde, bra length hair. My hair is not chemically treated, but because it is so frizzy Iím always looking for new products. I have read many reviews here, about how difficult it is to apply, about the horrible smell and appearance. None of that is true for me. To start with you HAVE TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. If it says ďapply on wet/damp hair, itís because you have to do that!! Itís not meant for dry hair. As it has a gel consistency it will not ďglideĒ easily through dry hair as other creamier hair treatments. It just takes a minute to wet your hair (if itís dripping towel dry it) and put the product on. If some people are finding it difficult to wash out, maybe it is because theyíre putting too much product on, so thatís another thing you have to find the right amount for your kind-length of hair. As a final result it leaves my hair soft and feeling stronger and shinier. The results increase with applications.
I have to say that I also use this as a styling product (and if you use it like that it lasts forever and ever) to help with my frizzy hair and flyways. Iím impressed with how this products works like this. After I towel dry my hair (it has to be more on the wet side) I apply a pea size amount on to my hand and rub it in to my palms (after doing this it feels like you donít have any product on your hands, but thatís the trick, donít put more in, even if you donít see-feel it, itís there believe me) Then I work it through my hair, specially near the roots (but never touching them) Sometimes I apply a little bit more if I decide to work through my ends too. The result is frizz-free, smooth, shiny hair. Other products seem to help me with my frizz, but this one is just spectacular.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

Made my hair hard as a brick, and dry. It may have been from the high glycerin content.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/4/2012 2:55:00 PM More reviews by kes1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this expecting great things and was a bit disappointed. It's ok but not great.

It does make your hair noticeably shinier but I don't think it felt any softer and I still needed conditioner after using this to detangle my hair as this didn't help at all. It is a bit inconvenient to use as you have to put it on and wait a while before you shampoo it out.

You do get a lot of applications in a tube as you only need a little bit and I love the smell of it - like fresh cut grass.

I don't think I'd buy it again though. It's too much hassle to use and I didn't see enough of a difference to justify the price. I could get better results with a deep conditioner for a fraction of the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2012 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Marthalish

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use this product from time to time when my hair is feeling really dry. I have long thick hair and this hair treatment works wonders. Even my stylist remarked on how healthy my hair felt. I swear by this treatment.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2011 9:47:00 AM More reviews by Suesaroo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this product a while ago when searching for a dry hair remedy. I just don't like it. It is sticky and not the easiest to fumble with in the shower I really don't see a difference in my hair texture after using it. I followed the directions but no difference. The scent is fine it doesn't last long. I have dry, curly shoulder length hair with a tendency to frizz at the sign of any humidity.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2011 7:34:00 AM More reviews by ejianloh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

First time using this product and I'm absolutely in love with it. The texture of the gel is quite groggy and when applied, I really had trouble getting it onto my dry, tangled hair. That said, it was amazing how my hair felt after I shampooed it. From dried up to really soft and relatively obedient hair. I'll continue using it for a couple of days before I come up with a verdict. But for now, I love it. Thanks for the reviews, guys, it was you who made me buy this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2011 2:12:00 AM More reviews by LaceyPorter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

LOVE THIS STUFF!!! Wasn't expecting much but wanted to try a pre-shampoo. I didn't totally wet my hair just got it damp (didn't want to decrease potency) and applied a couple of teaspoons to the bottom three inches of my hair for 1/2 hour before washing. Immediately after washing and still a wash later the bottom of my hair feels hydrated and healthier than the top!! I am really excited my dry, frizzy, ends may have met their match!

****EDIT*** I tried this again without the same results. I came to realize it was a different product that was giving me the fantastic results. It was Ion overnight treatment which I used a day before or after the burts bees treatment. Burts bees is moisturizing but doesn't silkify and tame my hair like the ion overnight does.