July 30, 2014 | 2034 users online

Sunscreen - Skinceuticals - Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by seaweed88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

In search of my HG sunscreen, i decided to order this from Dermstore after reading Paula's Choice and the reviews on here.

First of all, it's not clear. I'm extremely pale and this coated my face with a white tint. About 20 minutes after putting it on my skin was completely flaky and dried out, even though it had put it on over my normal moisturizer.

The packaging was fine, but it seemed hard to control how much came out.

Needless to say, I will be returning this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by korean

i like this sunscreen a lot. My hg . it has no scent. : ) it does have a tint, but it blended out and didn't conflict w/ my nc20-25 skin. It goes on matte, it has a runny consistency and drys quick like japanese and korean sunscreens. It is paraben free: )and it has less chemicals than most sunscreens- it uses titanium dioxide 6% and zinc oxide 5% , but it does not give a yucky white cast nor does it ball up under makeup. the protection is good,even in tropical heat i didn't get burned. a little got in my eye once and it did sting. it is not waterproof, but it is water resistant for 40 mins according to the package.

I bought this from the website. there were some on amazon for cheaper but i didn't want to take the chance of getting expired or subpar sunscreen.

1.7 fl oz 50 ml bottle, plastic grey.
broad spectrum spf 50

i have used every sunscreen under the sun. shiseido was good but i hated the scent and chemicals. khiels worked, it had no scent, but many chemicals. Over the counter was yuck. la roche posay worked well but sticky and once again a lot of chemicals. same with oversea japanese and korean brands like sofina.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2013 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Jamie222

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have very sensitive clog prone skin.I used this once only and returned it the next day. This SS is very light and dries quickly on contact. I use retin a micro , normally the peeling is not really visible. But this SS made my flaking skin so visible and left a white cast on my skin. To be fair, I think this is a good SS for very oily acne prone people with very light complexion and not on retin a( no flaking skin). If you have dry skin, you can still try it with a heavy moisturizer underneath. I just ordered the skinceuticals physical fusion. I try it today and I love the tint and no visible flakes. Since I just started can't comment on if the SS clogs pore yet. I will do a separate review by the end of the week on skinceuticals physical fusion.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2013 2:08:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

I bought a sample pack of these believing them to be the Physical Fusion sunscreen. I was horribly disappointed in this product. First of all, the white cast I got was the worst that I have ever had with any sunscreen. It also just sat on my skin making makeup application terrible (my normally pretty good skin looked flaky and dull when this was underneath my foundation) and I my skin just looked lifeless. I can't vouch for whether this is a good sunscreen as I don't actually spend more than a few minutes a day out in the sun, I wear it more as a preventative measure. My skin didn't dry out because of this but it did LOOK dry. I will not buy a full size of this and I won't use any more of the samples. Three days was enough for me to know that this one won't work.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2013 11:07:00 AM More reviews by Tindra78

I ordered a sample pack of this from the US, cause I was looking for something 1) more mattifying and 2) more makeup-friendly than my ordinary Elta Md clear.

I have adult hormonal acne and hyperpigmentation. I need to wear sunscreen daily, but finding a sunscreen that agrees both with my skin and makeup is extremely hard. I'm usually sensitive to silicones ( but I can stand cyclopentasiloxane). The first ingredient after the minerals is Dimethicone, even if it's not written in the list above - check on the products package oron the stores site if you are ssensitive to some ingredients.

Pros:

- does NOT enlarge pores, but is physical!!!! Really big pro, and hard to find such products!!!! Evens out the skin.

- not water resistant, for everyday use and easily removed (better for acne skin)

- keeps the makeup at place the whole day ( at least now in September), acts a little like a primer.

- reliable serious brand, and overcoming price

Cons:

- yet haven't dared to use it everyday these days cause I'm usually a little sensitive to Dimethicone - will this break me out?

- leaves a slight white cast on my NC/NW 15 skin, that needs to settle and be a little covered with makeup to be able to walk out

But the fact that this doesn't enlarge pores but is all physical, is really amazing! So I'm going to research the rest of the ingredients and see if I dear to try to use it everyday for a period.

But for you fair skinned that are not sensitive to Dimethicone, give this a try!!! :)

Update 2014-05-04:
I only dear to experiment with this, and now when it's spring again I've tried to use it on my forehead again to see if it makes me breakout. I wore it at work, a office. In some way this made my skin LOOK more oily through out the day. Strange, yes. My theory is that the silicones lock the skin in, and therefore the cream starts to "migrate" and melts down to an oil slick. But I'm not sure! I usually look a little more oily by Dimethicone a few hours later.....only hypothesis....

I also developed 3-4 small pimples on my forehead during these 3 days.... So I don't know if this breaks me out... :(

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Silverspoon1450

Love, Love, LOVE! Doesn't break me out AND gives a nice glow. Works well as a primer too under makeup. Will buy again

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by quietmaria

I LOVE this stuff- definitely a holy grail product for me. In February I started breaking out and it turned out to be the worst cystic acne known to man. It is actually a very rare form of it-- seriously you have never seen anyones face look like this! I had so much robust inflammation-everywhere. My derm quickly started me on Accutane and told me I needed to use sunscreen or my awful awful awful hyperpigmentation would just get worse. She recommended this and gave me samples. I really believe that this, along with the Accutane and acupuncture has helped me clear up the acne and fade the hyperpigmentation. My skin was always a little hyperpigmented/pink in some areas, but this seems to be making all of that fade. It is ridiculously expensive, but I will continue to buy it. It is really good at evening out my complexion, and that says a great deal since my skin was bright pink for awhile. I highly recommend this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by rachelly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a mineral HG suncreen that I can blend with foundation that is also good for acne-prone skin. I tried this one with disappointing results.

It is a liquid sunscreen that easily mixes with foundation and goes on relatively smoothly. (I can feel a little graininess but not enough to be a concern.) The sunscreen is mineral so it goes on pretty white by itself but if you blend it with foundation you can tailor it to your skin tone. It goes on a bit wet/shiny but dries to a matte finish.

But...

the smell makes me gag. Really. I have never had that happen with a product before and it's so bad it's a deal breaker for me. It's old shoes with desperately-needing-to-be-washed sweat socks - basically the inside of a high school locker room.

I don't even know how SkinCeuticals bottled that smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by LuluBr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

Another hit by SkinCeuticals. I have not tried a sunscreen with SPF50 that it totally invisible before, and this one is perfect. It was suggested by my local pharmacist. I am very pale (NC15) and I was looking for something light + high protection that does not leave any white residue/cast. This fits the bill.

You have to shake the bottle very well and apply the product on face and neck. It completely disappears and looks invisible. As it is silicone based it works also as a primer under the foundation.
Three problems: 1) the price is extortionate; 2) the scent is nasty (luckily it dissipates very quickly); 3) it contains only 50ml

Notwithstanding the three drawbacks mentioned above it is still the best sunscreen I have ever tried. I love SkinCeuticals products and this is one of my favourites. Such a shame it is not cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2013 2:46:00 PM More reviews by LockMorgan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

This is definitely an HG of mine! As pricey as it is, I need it since I have very light skin that burns easily (due to a ginger gene :P)
I got this from my doctor's office as I've been seeing her every few weeks to work through my acne. I asked her about sunscreen and this is what she recommended I get, along with telling me to mix it with foundation when I put it on. I was like, okay....
Putting it on the next morning, I understood why as I noticed the white cast that I got (and that other reviewers talk about) even after mixing it with foundation. I'm now mixing it with a slightly too dark very pigmented liquid concealer which works AWESOME. And for my foundation through the winter, I needed a white something to mix it with as it's ridiculous to find a foundation pale enough for my skin. The white cast isn't even that big of a deal for me since my skin is so light.
It is a tad drying, but that's good for me because I have oily, acne prone skin. The matte-ness doesn't last all day, but that's not a big deal for me. Dry skin, however, should avoid this sunscreen though.
Overall, it's a great product for me. Will definitely be buying for years to come!