November 23, 2014 | 1495 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Goody - Spin Pin

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2014 9:05:00 AM More reviews by MN48225

I didn't think I'd like them so much! I've never been able to put my hair in a top-knot or bun because anytime I start using more than 2 or 4 bobby pins, I'm asking for trouble. (I can't do my own hair to save my life.)

I have both the regular length and the mini ones. I read review that the regular length pins are for longer hair but it didn't work with my layered, medium textured and thin hair. I couldn't hide the pins in my hair. The mini ones worked much better. Can't see them in the bun.

The regular length is easier to find in stores than the minis. I found the minis in Target for about $6.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by valmont32677

These are great!! I had them for awhile not really knowing how to use them until I remembered I had them & saw a couple of YouTube tutorials on how to wear them. Now I will never be without them. I have a long single one w a silver rose on the end & I have a couple of sets of the 2 pins that are sold together. The directions that come w them are useless! Watch a YouTube video or 2 if you want to get the most out of them. You will wonder how you ever lived w/o them but they are something that requires practice just like hair chopsticks did (for me).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2014 3:13:00 AM More reviews by Bclancy

I got one at CVS that has a silver metal flower on the end. I bought it because I thought the flower was cute and it was on clearance for $2. If I can find more of the ones with flowers on the ends I would like one or two more, but they're hard to find. As far as I know, only CVS carried them. Anyway, this holds my hair together very well. I usually use it for a messy bun and just use about 2 hairpins to keep it secure. Without this pin I would use 6 or 7 hairpins. I think it looks quite elegant yet casual enough for every day.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2014 1:38:00 AM More reviews by sunblockobsession

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like these better than any other hair-restraining device (competition includes Ouchless elastics, ugly Scrunchies, and bobby pins) but as many others with thick hair have lamented, these leave much to be desired.

It takes two full-sized pins and three mini pins to coax my hair into a bun (and my hair still slips out). I have long (about 6 inches past my shoulders), thick (5" diameter ponytail- I'm one of those nerds who actually bothered to measure), medium-textured hair. I bought a pair of these about a year ago, so I have had plenty of time to practice. It took me about 8 months to invest in the mini pins.

Pros: No damage, no headaches, if I leave my hair up with these it will be silky soft and frizz-free when I take it down at the end of the day, keeps hair tangle-free, looks more sophisticated than using an elastic, still a million times better than bobby pins, virtually indestructible, unlike hair ties

Cons: Hair slips out, if you have to use more than the two standard pins you run the risk of interlocking the pins and getting them stuck in your hair, not really well suited to finer-textured thick hair.

Obviously, most of my complaints are about how this product is ill-suited to my hair-type, which is not the fault of the product. I will repurchase these if I lose them, and I would recommend them to just about everyone, I would just caution against believing that they will hold very thick hair in an immaculate bun. Adjusting your expectations (as well as investing in a set of mini pins) is key.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2013 11:04:00 PM More reviews by midgeismyname

I love spin pins but they are too expensive! So I decided to do some digging of my own and I found a seller from china who sells the exact same thing for a fraction of the price! I got 30 "spin pins" for 4 dollars including shipping! I love them so much and they make my thick curly hair stay in a bun!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by zeaxkr

This isn't a bad product...but it only work well for specific hair type.

1. No/minimum layering: I have cut my hair to have layer starting at chin line. Since then little bits of stray hair come out from my bun like crazy.

2. Doesn't work well with dense hair: I have a lot of hair. And it's thick. It doesn't do so well when hair is really heavy.

It can be used in combination with other product (ex: hair tie) to make bun...but by itself, it's kinda useless.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2013 10:15:00 PM More reviews by AzureTe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am OBSESSED with these things. I adore them. I now have two or three backup sets just in case. I have a lot of hair that has to be held back for my job...and nothing ever holds this mop back for long. My hair looks at the vast majority of clips and devices out there and cackles with fiendish glee. Knowing this, I quit wasting money on the latest this and that gadget claiming to hold your hair up and just resigned myself to not being able to do buns or any kind of updo. I saw some reviews on the web that led me to believe these could work, and to my total surprise, they actually did. Two will hold a bun for me on a day off, three is better for a work day (I move around a lot at work). I can even manage something like a french twist with three of them and I've never been able to get one of those to stay up for more than about 5-10 minutes prior to this. So I'm really impressed. I don't expect these to break anytime soon and I have backups, so I don't think I will be repurchasing unless I somehow manage to lose a bunch of them. But if that happens you bet I will replace the lost ones ASAP.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2013 11:13:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

I have tried so hard to make these work. It's a no go for me :( Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?!?! probably lol Oh well .... bobby pins it is.
I keep reading that people paid a lot of money for them...They were like $3.00 when I bought them. Thank goodness because if I had paid 20.00 ,or whatever, I would surely be pissed!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by elleee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay, if you don't have these pins - GET THEM.

We can't get them in Australia so I ended up spending $20 on them and they are worth every single penny.

I used to do my buns with hair ties which let's face it, never really look good. These pins not only look 100% better, they take half the time and hold your bun in place!

I'm not going to ramble on. If you are thinking about getting them or if you don't have them, get them. Simple.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2013 10:39:00 PM More reviews by rachelrue

Okay, I have thick hair. And by thick I mean THICK. When you search "thick hair" online the results usually are about 3/4 of the hair I have. On that note, I need to use two regular sized spin pins and three of the mini ones to hold a bun. BUT I still like them because otherwise I have to use like 100 bobby pins to do the same thing. Towards the end of the day my head hurts a little but that is mainly due to the weight of my hair. It takes some practice to be able to use them so to anyone who feels like they're not working keep playing around with it! It took me a several tries over the course of a few weeks to get the hang of it.