August 23, 2014 | 1834 users online

Lipstick - Lime Crime - Airborne Unicorn

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 11:27:00 PM More reviews by lexskyler

never used lime crime before so i thought might give it a try because i have been looking for a really pigmented lipstick and also one that would stay on longer. because all the ones i have they all fade too easily and not pigmented enough for me.

i bought 2 colours, airbourne unicorn and Great Pink Planet

absolutely love them! especially airbourne unicorn, perfect pink/purple shade that i have been looking for for a while, it stays on all day! i only need to re-apply just a tiny bit after drinks and food, not too drying which it is perfect! but recommend lip balm before application!!

price is reasonable so defo a product that i will buy again!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2014 9:18:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Lime Crime is a brand I didn't intend on revisiting due to an initial "meh" first impression in 2011. I hadn't seen much from the brand that interested me and had no reason to really look into their products until 2013 when I found out that the company has continued to have bizarre business practices that spill over into personal lives.

If you get anything out of this review, please let it be to research this company thoroughly. Google can provide you with literally hours of blog posts, reviews, and personal accounts that should be considered. By all means come to your own conclusions, I just feel I wouldn't be posting an honest review without this preface. Many people fall on the extremes with this company, either loving it or hating it, but I just ended up feeling like there are enough alternatives not to bother with it.

So, despite my disinterest in Lime Crime, I ended up with a tube of Airborne Unicorn for my birthday from a friend. I've been looking into purple lipsticks and my friend kindly thought this would suit my preferences not knowing I had tried the brand before. However, upon my first impression opening the tube I was pretty impressed with the color and looked forward to testing it out. Here's my pros and cons:

Pros:
Formula texture seems to be improved on initial application and reminds me of MAC's Amplified lipstick formula. It applies at lot smoother than my tube of Retrofuturist does and feels more like a high end lipstick. This bullet is in it's tube sturdily and doesn't feel like it's going to break off like my Retrofuturist does. I think some of the issues with the formula have been adjusted, but aren't perfected yet.

Cons:
The bad news is that despite applying well at first and feeling moisturizing, after a while the lipstick starts feeling really dry and ends up being patchy a bit because of it. The way the color is presented in online swatches is also pretty darn inaccurate. The neon in your face purple I'm seeing on Lime Crime's website looks nothing like the pinkish-heather purple I have currently swatched on my hand. It's much more subdued and easily dupable with shades offered from Maybelline, NYX, and Milani. If I mix this with a balm and sheer it out a bit, it's workable. It's also worth noting that the back of the bullet of lipstick has turned kind of orange. I don't think it's dangerous to use, but may be a result of temperature changes. A wipe with a tissue took most of it off, but still that's not something that should really be happening. Now that this stuff is $18 dollars a tube I think there's still a lot pretty unacceptable performance issues.

So for now I'm near certain Lime Crime and I aren't going to cross paths again, there are just too many alternatives out there and even the crazier colors like the blues, yellows, and greens now are offered by more companies at a cheaper price. The price point seemed a bit high when I bought my first tube at $12 + shipping, but now at $18 + shipping I'd rather invest in colors from NARS or OCC lip tars. If you don't mind waiting a bit, apparently NYX is coming out with a brights and pastel line later this Spring that appear to have some dead on dupes for Lime Crime shades.

ETA : I now have NYX's Violet and it's wonderful and what I would have expected Airborne Unicorn to look like color and performance wise and it's only $6. Comparison swatches between the two are also in my profile.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2014 5:51:00 AM More reviews by yosieliu

Medium violet tone and highly pigmented. I only need 1 layer when I applied it. The texture is incredibly opaque and it didn't dries up my lips. Usually I combine it with their Poisonberry as the outer line and it turned out beautifully.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 9:17:00 AM More reviews by MissAngelina

Before I purchased this lipstick I done a lot of research (I always do when purchasing new products) and read all the bad stuff about doe and lime crime and while a lot of what I read was not great i just couldn't resist this colour.

The minute I tried it on I fell in love, for me it is an amazing colour, it doesn't bleed or stain my lips and the price was reasonable. I do have to touch up quite often but I have to do this with all other brands I own (revlon, loreal, nyx, face and yes even MAC), maybe I'm just fussy and like perfect coverage all the time. I would definitely re purchase and it is because of this one lipstick that I have purchased 10 other lime crime lipsticks.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 6:50:00 PM More reviews by jojoxc

Although its incredibly expensive, (in my opinion, for a single lipstick) I do have to admit that I am absolutely in love with the color.

It's not exactly creamy, but it is very vibrant, almost a subtle neon lavender on your lips. You will be fine with the formula if you exfoliate and put lip balm on your lips before applying this product, as with most thick, opaque lipsticks. I could care less about the controversy behind Lime Crime, as long as their products are safe and I like it. The packaging is definitely a plus for me as well, it's sparkly and purple with a unicorn on it and I just love carrying it around and applying it in public.

This color is hard to find anywhere, and is very unique. Totally different from the new Nicki lipstick, and I can easily pair it with any lipgloss and I even like to do ombre lips with dark lip pencils like currant and nightmoth from MAC.

Very versatile, very cute, I would recommend to anyone who loves cute makeup.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2013 2:58:00 PM More reviews by twee420

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

I loved this lipstick. The colour is unlike and purple I've ever used before, it is medium violet-lilacy-pink toned shade but with a fluorescent touch. I've been getting compliments on it all week and unlike certain other purple lipsticks, this purple shade completely flatters my transparent white skin tone! It's the perfect shade for those of you who want to make a statement, without being TOO out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2013 8:15:00 AM More reviews by rorygils

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this lipstick! The color is vibrant purple so will definitely get noticed when you wear it. A lot of people asking what I'm wearing when I have this on. It's a fun color so if you feel daring, you should give it a try. The formula is a bit drying hence why it last really long and stained the lips. The packaging though is not that sterdy, the cap is a thin plastic so it cracked easily and the logo also rubbed off easily.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 9:11:00 AM More reviews by missmetal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Cute packaging, cute color & long lasting!!!

Love this lipstick, the color is sooooo vibrant & it's smooth like a lip balm.

Lime crime rules!

4/5 from me!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/5/2012 9:12:00 AM More reviews by loserology

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this lipstick completely knowing the controversy behind the company (Google it if you want to find out) but I wanted to try out the lipstick anyway. However I am extremely disappointed in this lipstick. Some might say I have some bias against the company so my review will be negative and I'm not denying I do, but I'm trying to be as fair as I can be here and I'm reviewing this as if it didn't have the Lime Crime label on it.

Pros
- I find the unicorn tube to be unique and cute, but I understand not everyone will feel this way.

- The colour I got (Airborne Unicorn) is actually a really nice colour (Although I don't think for lips and definitely not with my skintone or hair colour) and it is pretty rare. I couldn't find it in the make-up stores and pharmacies I went into.

- The colour is pigmented and I found I didn't need to swipe much (It wasn't one swipe though, like they once claimed) to get full opacity.

- Vegan

Cons

- The formula is extremely drying and staining, to the point where I cannot wear it for more than 5 minutes before removing it. It is NOT creamy in the slightest, and I have no idea where people get this idea. To test, I swatched it on my hand, removed it after 15 minutes and I still had a stain. Even more baffling, I went to work where I washed dishes 2 or 3 times, came home, showered, went to sleep and woke up with the stain STILL on my hand. It didn't completely disappear until after I came home from work that afternoon. I understand a lip stain, but the staining is just ridiculous.

- Mine actually started to melt as well, something I've never experienced with a lipstick before. Whenever I'd apply it, it would bump the tube and form a dent. Not happy. I'm not applying it too roughly so I'm assuming this is a combination of the climate I live in currently being summer (Australia) and the lipsticks being soft.

If I were just reviewing these as lipsticks from some random company, I don't recommend these unless you are just after unique colours and can put up with bad quality. These have the worst formula I've ever tried. It's made me really question some of the reviews here because they are not moisturising in the slightest. They're extremely drying and I found much superior quality with NYX and other cheaper brands. I certainly wouldn't buy them if the company had such a shady history like Lime Crime does that is also easily accessible. I also wouldn't recommend them at all to people who live in hot climates like me since the only way to avoid them from denting is to refrigerate it, it seems.

TL;DR Save your money

NOTE: I found it necessary to post my review also in Airborne Unicorn because that's the lipstick I bought. continued >>

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2011 4:59:00 AM More reviews by Kristybitmead

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely love this product and colour, after searching for ages to find this colour and even splurging on a purple versace lippie, I finally stumbled across this brand and decided to give it a whirl. It absolutely canes the versace's efforts for a lippie. The colour is opaque and really gorgeous, it glides on easily and like others have said, it's not drying at all. I went on to purchase another one of their lipsticks in a different colour I loved their range of colours so much