John Frieda Smooth Start Shampoo: Hydrating for Extra-Dry Hair

3.4

Water, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, cocamidopropyl bethaine, olea eruopaea (olive) fruit oil, cocamide mea, fragrance sodium chloride, glycol distearate, benzyl alcohol polyquaternium-10, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, silicone quaternium-18, malic acid, sidosium EDTA, sodium xylenesulfonate, trideceth-6, trideceth-12, glycine, bis-methoxypropylamido isodocosane, DMDM hydantoin, methylparaben, propylparaben

on 3/6/2011 6:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Let me just say that I should be happy that I even have hair. A year ago, I straight-permed my hair. Now I straighten my hair often to hide my frizzy roots and I color it frequently.

So, I tried this and the first thing I noticed was the smell. I'm rather fond of it because it isn't fruity like 97% of all the other shampoos. It kind of reminded me of D&G Light Blue.

Throughout the course of using this, I noticed that my hair improved greatly. It was softer, shinier and overall, in better condition. And this was even without the extra leave-in conditioner.

I made the mistake of trying to find a cheaper shampoo. I'm trying to get rid of it now but I will definitely going back to buy it!

on 1/7/2011 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

My hair is coarse, thick and has a tendency to be dry. I also color and heat style, so it takes a beating. I like something that helps my hair maintain color and stay sleek and smooth. I'm reasonably happy with this. The shampoo is kind of opaque - not clear and not really milky - and lathers really well. It smells great - kind of a fresh scent - and rinses pretty clean. I don't feel any buildup or coating after use. I don't think it is moisturizing at all, as it does leave my hair feeling somewhat stripped and lightly tangled. However, after following up with the conditioner, my hair is super smooth and silky, and flat ironing is a breeze. My hair looks shiny and soft. I would not recommend this on extremely dry hair, or for someone who washes daily, but otherwise I think it is just fine. I might repurchase.

on 12/28/2010 1:32:00 PM

I didn't have any issues with this product but did not feel that it was particularly good at cleansing... My hair was really smooth though and easier to style. I liked the smell and did not have any problems w/the packaging.

on 11/19/2010 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This shampoo has an odd texture -- sort of gluey. However, when you lather it into your hair, this isn't a problem. The problem lies in the fact that this is marketed as a hydrating shampoo for extra-dry hair, but it provides no more hydration than any other shampoo yet costs twice as much. (For example - the Herbal Essence Shampoos have 12 ounces versus the 10 ounces in Smooth Start, yet cause several dollars less.) This did not give my curly hair a "Smooth Start". I will finish this tube, but will not repurchase.

on 7/19/2010 10:37:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This did exactly the opposite of what it was supposed to. My hair was poufier like it had some kind of a coating on it and wouldn't lie down flat even after straightening it with a flatiron. The hair strands themselves were not frizzy, but the overall effect was, because my hair would not go vertical. As soon as I resumed using my regular shampoo, the problem went away. I'm using it to wash my hand laundry now.

on 7/14/2010 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I was a huge fan of John Frieda's Luxurious Volume conditioner, but it's been discontinued!!! I tried this conditioner hoping it would be half as good... Boy, was I disappointed! It really doesn't moisturize any better than your average conditioner and IT SMELLS SO BAD! no thanks

I bought this shampoo and conditioner because I really needed some heavy silicone to fill in my chipped cuticles. It was okay, but not anything special. It was moisturizing, but not amazingly so. The main reason I don't really use this anymore is because it smells AWFUL. It smells like watered down men's cologne.

on 6/19/2010 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I have colored hair. This shampoo (along with the conditioner) leave my hair softer THAN ANYTHING I'VE EVER TRIED. It is thick, lathers well and instantly leaves my hair softer. I stopped using it after I ran out to see if this was what made my hair so soft and manageable. My hair went back to it's dry, crispy self. So I used it again and my hair was great again.

on 5/16/2010 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I generally like John Frieda shampoos and conditioners, but this one is just not for me. I have very thick, coarse, curly hair that I usually blow out with a round brush. It's prone to being on the dry side so I like moisturizing products. I didn't find this shampoo particularly moisturizing and it felt more like it coated my hair. In fact, at one point my hair still felt so unclean in the shower that I had to grab my purifying shampoo. I don't find my hair particularly shiny after I've styled it with this shampoo. My favorite shampoos leave my hair clean and fresh without adding too much to weigh it down. I leave the moisturizing agents up to the conditioner since I just add that to the hair from my ears down. I use drugstore and salon products and there are shampoos that are much better and much cheaper than this one. So I will not be repurchasing.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a great hydrating shampoo, the best hydrating shampoo Ive found so far. It has olive oil in it, and it really smooths the hair and calms frizz. Im using it with the conditioner which is also packed with olive oil. my hair loves olive oil. I was using matrix biolage balm but I think I will replace it with this smooth start conditioner.