Revlon Colorsilk in Dark Blonde

4.9

on 5/11/2015 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Deep Dark, Not Sure

This color will lighten hair that is at a minimum a level 7. I would highly suggest pre-bleaching or lightening a few days prior to applying this color. During application the color will appear dark brown, but will lighten to a sandy, dark dirty-ish blonde. To remove the brassiness associated with box dyes and bleaching, I would HIGHLY recommend placing 20 drops of "Ardel Red Cold Corrector plus" when mixing the box dye. To "boost" the box dye, I placed approx. 1/2 cap of Salon Care 40 vol. developer and approx. 2 caps of 20 vol. Wella Cream Developer. Watch the dye to see the color progression, I left it on for approx. 30 minutes. Following the application, I shampooed with Sally's Generic Value Product's Purple Shampoo (Shimmmerlites dupe); 1st wash left on 5 mins, second wash left on 5 mins to remove any remaining brassiness and achieved the perfect color stated above. Great for those who want a blonde in between warm and ash.

on 2/23/2015 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Beautiful color, I normally use light ash brown to get a nice medium ash brown, my color had turned lighter so I decided to work with the lighter color and bought dark blonde to match my roots with the rest of my hair, left it on for 30 minutes and got a nice caramelly-goldy light brown, a little too warm for me but it looks beautiful, the last five minutes it was stinging my scalp, I'm glad I didn't leave it for longer because this color really lifts my virgin hair color, the only thing that I didn't like is that I lost a lot of hair during the wash, that never happens with the light ash brown.

on 1/31/2015 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I can't believe Revlon Colorsilk is only $2.50. I bought the shade Dark Blonde to try to return my dyed light brown hair to its natural color, a mousy blonde. It did it beautifully, lightening my hair just enough to resemble its former color. My hair shoes zero signs of damage, so I will definitely be purchasing this brand again.

on 12/20/2014 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is the best haircolor at any price! I have used several different shades of Colorsilk all the way from the Ultra Blondes to Dark Brown, and I have never had a bad result! Most recently I used "Dark Blonde". I started off with about an inch of my naturally very dark, very ash blonde roots, and light blonde highlights, mixed with a more golden blonde. It was also darker underneath from remnants of a brown color I had used awhile back. Despite the multiple shades, this seemed to tie it all together for a more natural look, but my highlights still show through, so it has pretty dimension. This is definitely on the lighter side of "dark blonde" which I expected given the model on the box also has pretty light hair for a shade that's supposed to be dark blonde. My natural shade is about a level 6, but very drab/ashy and this lightens it and adds some warmth without it being too warm. Also, the more times you color with Colorsilk, the more highlights pop up, it looks better and better! This color smells great and leaves my hair softer. I have medium length hair, and I need 2 boxes, but the price of 2 is less than most brands single box dye, so I'm not complaining! *You may check out my profile pics to view my post-color results.

on 11/4/2014 9:02:00 PM

I actually didn't continue with the dyeing of my hair with this product after the strand test, and yet I'm still giving this product top ratings. I colored my hair for many years, using every box dye out there, but especially the supposed higher-end ones. I then stopped coloring all together, and then in the past few years, started getting my color done professionally. I spend over $100 every 5 weeks or so to get my hair colored, on top of which my hair is now extremely damaged. I was looking for a cheaper and gentler alternative when I came across the reviews for this product. I have to say I was skeptical, mainly because of the price. How good could something be that was $2.97 at Wal-Mart?! My skepticism was unfounded. This product beats every other box I have used and infinitely cheaper and gentler than the salon products. My coloring goal was to blend my very light (too light) lengths with my now grown out several inches roots (a very ashy dark blonde). I colored a large swath of hair on the underside; the color actually came out a beautiful honey/ caramel blonde. And NO damage. And NO bad smelling dye. I was beyond amazed. It just wasn't the color I wanted, which amounts to me not choosing a dark enough shade and no fault of the product. I bought two boxes and plan to enjoy the conditioner. My plan now is to hit the hairdressers' one more time and get the color adjusted so that I can then resort to using a Colorsilk product on a regular basis for maintenance. I am so looking forward to enjoying a healthier coloring experience (and a cheaper one).

on 10/2/2014 9:56:00 AM

Love love love this shade...turned my dark brown hair a nice caramel-y light brown after Feria faded...and you cannot beat the price. The conditioner that comes with smells great!! I wonder if that's available by itself....

on 2/8/2013 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Thank you MUAers for this gem!
In December I went to a new hairdresser (mine had moved) he turned my dark blond with highlights a very dark brown with a black highlights and black around the face. Disaster, tears aplenty ensued. Then I had a colour "correction" done...result was a mish-mash of very brassy roots with ok-ish med blond ends. So my hair was a disaster zone...a very expensive disaster zone.
I turned to MUA and saw the reviews for this and thought "what the hell?" I had spent so much money and my hair looks so cheap and nasty I couldn't look any worse.
The result is wonderful!!!!!
I now have lightest brown/dark blond hair. The brassiness has been toned down dramatically (it is still slightly there but hey) and the ends are tonal too.
The overall effect is, well natural.My hair actually looks like a hair colour made in nature (not a preschoolers painting) and is a very pretty colour.
Very happy!!!!

on 12/16/2012 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Love this color....it comes out on me exactly as the color shown on the model. It's dirt cheap, doesn't dry my hair out and doesn't have that strong odor since it's ammonia free. I buy it at Walmart for under $3!!! Amazing!! :) ... UPDATE: just got a ton of compliments on this at a recent Xmas party :))) ...no one could believe my color was from a box! Everyone kept asking me what salon I go to...tee..hee...hee ;)

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I had colored my hair black last year around May. It's been growing out and fading since then but there was an obvious line where my natural color was and the old black started. A friend told me about a less harsh creme lightener to bleach my hair and it worked pretty well lifting the old black and did my roots a bright yellow. After some searching I decided to buy two boxes of the Dark Blonde color because I didn't want bleach blonde.

It stains white shirts brown and your hair looks like it's going brown during the process, but after washing and blow drying my hair is the most beautiful light auburn, strawberry blonde. This color took away all the brassy orange look and I am in love with my hair now. Plus the price cannot be beat.

The plastic gloves are cheap but I can't complain, that's the only negative.

on 5/2/2012 5:50:00 PM

this is great color!! it's more of a light, almost goldish brown than blonde. I would definitely use this again, but I think I will try a medium blonde next :)