April 19, 2014 | 1741 users online

Cleansers - Soap and Glory - The Fab Pore Hot Cloth Cleanser

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by asian_vixen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I recently went into hot cloth cleansers since i have been reading up on "oily but dehydrated" skin and found that after reading from beautymouth.com (hirons), my skin has become this way in my 30's. Since I am in the US, it is harder to obtain Emma Hardie and other cleansing balms so i decided to try this since it was 10$ at sephora (and a similar formulation to Liz Earle's). I also ordered Ren's purity balm to compare the two. I won't re-iterate the product's description but i must say, it has made my skin really supple on the first try and i am hooked! I LOVE cleansing with it (I use washcloths with hot water and put it on my face then repeat x2 until all of the makeup has been patted off) because it really removes all of my make-up and after using it for a few days, i feel that if i do not cleanse with it, i notice my pores more. It hydrates but does not make me oily and i realize that my skin has become more normal and balanced. I have hormonal acne around my chin area and was starting to creep up on my lower cheeks and it has calmed it down as well. I do double cleanse with a non-foaming cleanser afterwards. Compared to Ren's purity balm, I would repurchase this. Not only for its cost-effectiveness, but i grab this more and i feel that when i use Ren, it does not leave my skin as supple and it feels a bit filmy/oily after. Overall, I am glad i discovered it and I look forward to washing my face at night, which makes me feel like i had a facial spa at home :) Also, this has been discontinued and reformulated into Ultimelt... same ingredients but ultimelt does not have the methylparaben:)

UPDATE: I had a horrible breakout and had to switch to ones without the essential oils as i noticed that when i wash with it, it stings/burns around the corners of my mouth and near my nose... I am so sad because it worked for a whole month! Downgraded the lippies...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 2:10:00 AM More reviews by mog12

I love this! I've been using it for about 6 months now and it is truly amazing. I have combination skin and big pores everywhere! This stuff shrinks them - I realise that when I'm lazy and don't use the cleanser at night that my pores are much more visible. It doesn't make me oily or dry Fab! As an addition it has now been revamped and is called 'Ultimelt' I nearly couldn't find it at the weekend as there's nothing to state that the name has changed! :(

rated 3 of 5 on 8/3/2013 6:55:00 AM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was the first hot cloth cleanser I have used. The tube is almost empty (I'd say it would last me to cleanse my face only one more time), and therefore I believe I have had the opportunity to truly test this product. I don't like to pass on reviews about products that I have tried for short periods of time only, as I believe you only really find out how good or bad a product is after having used it for a while. My rule of thumb is reviewing only when I finish the product.

The Packaging
Brilliantly designed it works well and makes a statement on your bathroom... In the first few days I used it, I loved to look at the tube and read the funny words... Soap and Glory always gets me with the fun and cute packaging and the cheesy but brilliant puns. The cloth that comes with the product, however, is ok but not brilliant. It does the job though.

The scent
One of those you either love or hate, I loved it in the beginning but soon started hoping that my nose didn't have to cope with this strong lavender scent.... Yes, I love lavender but on my face.

The main ingredients
Panthenol is a good one but sweet almond, orange and lavender oils would possibly work better on a body wash than a face wash. This combination has 'irritation' written all over it. It didn't really irritate my skin per se, but it certainly dried it out very badly and made it oilier at the same time. For example, my face feels incredibly soft after cleansing but a few hours later is oily and dehydrated! The effect that no lady with combination skin wants! Furthermore, while I was using this and the SG moisturiser 'for daily youth' I gained these white bumps that are still on my face and broke out quite a few times... Sometimes quite badly on my chin... I only bad breakouts if the skincare routine I a following is not good for me. With the right skin care routine, I will get the monthly breakout only.

The efficacy
In what cleansing is concerned, this does a really good job. And I mean, really good. I don't wear a full face on most days, but this certainly does a very good job at removing foundation, bronzer and dirt off my face very quickly. I do the cotton test every now and again, to check if this really cleansed my face, and I always conclude that yes, my skin is properly clean.

Conclusion:
I am glad the tube is finally over. And that is... a bad sign! I truly like the concept of hot cloth cleansing (will now start using No 7 Hot Cloth Cleanser) but I would not purchase this cleanser again. I am glad I tried it, because this way I found out about the wonders of this method of cleansing but the sweet almond, orange and lavender oils are ingredients that I don't want on my face.... Especially when I am aware that this dries my skin out which makes it produce more oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 10:36:00 AM More reviews by ac21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE this. I have used Liz Earles hot cloth cleanser for years and picked this up as it was on offer and thought it was work giving a go. It's amazing and one of the best high street cleansers I have used. I have oily skin however this was moisturising and took all my makeup off without feeling heavy and actually helped with my skins oillyness which I didn't think possible. Trying to repurchase but can't find it in any of my nearby boots stores!! Try in you won't be disappointed.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2013 2:58:00 PM More reviews by snow7kids

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like the cloth that it came with...I will use it until I run out but won't repurchase. I have oily skin and like my face to feel squeaky clean after I wash (but not tight). This made my skin feel too soft...almost a coated/waxy feeling.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2013 10:03:00 AM More reviews by lauracrua

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is really great. I love balm/oil cleansers and have tried all the major ones. Recently I picked this up in boots for 14 because I couldn't yet afford the Emma Hardie cleansing balm and was surprised by how gentle and effective it was. It also comes with an included muslin cloth which i think is a nice touch although i still prefer to use a flannel. I'm on to my second tube of this and I will continue to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by zoomusicgrrrl

I think this could be my new favourite cleanser. And from 'Soap and Glory' - a brand that I dismissed as merely a fun bath/shower range, and never a 'serious' skincare contender!!!!
I love hot cloth cleansers for p.m. cleansing, and my two favourites (that I've had on rotation now for the past few years) are Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish and Elemis Pro-Radiance.
I tried this version out of mild curiosity when there was a 3-for-2 on at Boots (along with the Sanctuary hot cloth cleanser - which was ineffective at deep cleansing and actually clogged my pores).
It has a remarkably similar ingredients list to that of the Liz Earle version - little more difference other than a higher glycerin content, a different blend of essential oils and the addition of a paraben.
Nevertheless, Soap and Glory has always struck me as a style over substance brand, so I didn't have high hopes.
However, I was soon converted! I found the product left my skin super clean but supple. It even looked and felt slightly firmed and toned. I was a bit afraid that the essential oils would sting my eyes (as warned of on the packaging), but it was nothing a little splash of water didn't fix. It removed full makeup and, by leaving it on for 2 minutes, I felt like my face was undergoing a treatment, too. The cloth is quite abrasive when compared with my usual soft Liz Earle muslins, but it did the job without irritation (unlike the Sanctuary cloth, which merely smeared the product and my makeup over my face). All in all, a wonderful find and I've already repurchased.

Pros: thick paste texture (which is comfortable and non-sticky, and doesn't run); multiple purpose (makeup remover, deep-cleanser, exfoliator when used with the muslin cloth, and treatment mask); quality ingredients, including essential oils that give it a lovely smell; reasonable price (especially when on offer at Boots)

Cons: I suppose the essential oils might sting some eyes (though I'm a contact lens wearer and have suffered no issues); muslin cloth is more abrasive than some (though it softens up after a few washes in the washing machine); obviously won't suit everyone. I'd recommend it to normal/combination/oily skins - the essential oils might make it a bit much for sensitive types; would be easier to use if it had a pump like the Liz Earle and Elemis versions.

FAB PORE INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters, Sorbitan Stearate, Polysorbate 60, Synthetic Beeswax, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Leaf Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Oil, Panthenol, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Caprylyl Glycol, Methylparaben

[NB LIZ EARLE CLEANSE & POLISH INGREDIENTS for comparison purposes: Aqua (water), Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Sorbitan stearate, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Cera alba (beeswax), Propylene glycol, Humulus lupulus (hops) extract, Panthenol, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract, Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) oil, Limonene, Citric acid, Sodium hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dehydroacetic acid, Polyaminopropyl biguanide.]

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2013 9:01:00 AM More reviews by florencesophieallen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am on my second bottle of this now. It's one of those products I wanted to buy again as soon as I'd run out. It's easily the best cleanser I have used, but I don't usually use it as a cleanser, I use it as more of a face mask a few times a week. I prefer cleansers to be a wash where as this is a cream and I don't like creams for removing make up, they get my eyes all sticky. I leave the cleanser on for a few mins and ta da hello much better looking face! Dont really know how it does it but skin looks much smoother, more even and looks like you have had a lot of beauty sleep! The cloth is nice although I think it is a bit unhygienic unless you wash it every time you use it. Otherwise it will just sit there soggy! Ew

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2013 4:29:00 PM More reviews by RuqZy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This cleanser is the best cleanser I have ever used. It made my skin look amazing! My pores look smaller too. I literally received this today and used it for the first time a few hours ago, and I see no signs of a bad reaction (hopefully). I hope this continues to work for me, as its the only cleanser that's been gentle on my skin and has actually made a difference. Any other cleanser I have used (clean&clear mainly) has been rather damaging to my skin and upsets my skin. Oh by the way, I LOVE the smell, reminds me of my childhood.

I have tricky sensitive combination skin, so there may be a chance of a different reaction over the next few days or weeks, possibly negative or MAYBE dramatically positive! I will definitely update this review if it gives me any trouble. If you're looking to buy it, good luck!
UPDATE: This has not affected my skin negatively in any way, and I have very sensitive skin. It has continued to work for me :) you should buy it

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2012 6:20:00 PM More reviews by SarahhBolt

Okay guys, if you struggle with slightly oilier skin (like myself) or just generally have quite a few spots (like I did) then you will know that it makes you feel terrible and are constantly trying to figure out ways to hide them from people. After trying pretty much everything from slightly cheaper companies such as Freederm, Clean and Clear, Clearsel, Simple etc (in which none of them worked) I decided to spend a little bit more money and get a better one. I purchased this product and was actually really excited to try it! All I can say is that it changed my confidence levels and quite literally made me a happier person. Within around two washes my skin was clear! It took such as huge relief of my chest. It's actually helped me so much. I know it may seem expensive but, omg, is it worth it?! YES! Please go buy it and TRUST ME you will not be let down. It has next to no scent (which is always good for sensitive skin) and is lovely to apply. I simply filled my sink with clean warm water, applied the mask kept it on for around two minutes and rinsed with warm water and a flannel. My skin has never felt so good. I finished a full size one very quickly and it is still easily my fave. AMAZING.