April 21, 2014 | 1891 users online

Toners - Boots - Botanics Complexion Refining Toning Lotion

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2013 5:11:00 PM More reviews by Sxiao1

I thought this toner was okay. After trying many of the Botanics brand, I was kinda expecting a little more out of this. It didn't really do much to clear up my acne, which I was hoping. But it did an awesome job absorbing the oil from my face & keeping it partially moisturized. If that is what you're looking for then this is the toner for you. I usually apply this onto a cotton ball and then all over my face twice, in the am and the pm. Works well keeping the sebum in control.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2013 2:15:00 PM More reviews by alexaober

Nothing special about it, I bought 2 of these then never went back.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/8/2013 8:09:00 PM More reviews by Shelbsca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't really like this toner. I usually don't really care about packaging if the product works, but the way this product is packaged really gets in the way. First, don't even think about traveling with it- even when you put it in a bag to protect it, it leaks everywhere, no matter what. Second, I spent $14 for this product for the smallest bottle ever. I used this pretty minimally, just a tiny bit on a cotton pad once per day, and I was finished with the bottle in about 3 months. I repurchased because I was too lazy to find a new toner at the time, and that's when it leaked in my travel bag and it went from being half full to completely no more left. Third, the cap is really hard to twist on and off, which may seem like I'm being picky, but not really- you might thing you put the cap on correctly, and then when you go to use it the next morning, when you shake it to get the clay unstuck from the bottom, the liquid goes everywhere because the cap won't be completely screwed on. Lastly, as I sort of mentioned in the last sentence, the "amazonian clay" that this product claims to refine your complexion always sinks to the bottom and doesn't mix in well with the liquid part of the toner, so every time before you use it, you have to shake it a LOT and sort of hit the bottom with your hands to unhinge the clay. Combine that with a the crappiest packaging ever, and you've got yourself a mess and a huge waste of money.

The main thing this product claims to do is refine complexion with the amazonian clay. Obviously the "amazonian" part is bull, it's probably just normal clay guys, let's be real. Also, it's not like I was expecting any miracles or anything, but since the product claimed to even out skin tone and refine complexion, I expected that to happen somewhat. I did not notice any noticeable differences to my skin, which makes buying this product even more of a waste since it's sort of on the expensive side. My skin is combo/oily, mostly normal but extremely sensitive with redness and little bumps around my nose. No change there at all. It did not break me out or cause any irritation, but it didn't seem to help a lot either. Totally not worth $14. Plus, you can't even find it anywhere, not even online, except Target- and even they rarely have it in stock.

If you're thinking about buying this toner, don't. You'll have to go to extreme measures to find an overpriced toner that doesn't yield any results, has terrible packaging, and lasts only a few months. I would personally recommend Thayer's witch hazel toner with rose petal if you're looking for a good toner.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2012 10:33:00 PM More reviews by LittleMihaela

I really love this toner! :) I haven't used a lot of different kinds of toner in the past. The only other kind I have tried from was Clinique.

After the first few days of using this, I could tell my skin was looking brighter and more evenly toned! I love this product, and I will definitely be buying it again when this runs out. It leaves my skin feeling nice and almost a little moisturized. Not dry at all! There are a lot of nice ingredients in this product.

Definitely recommend. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2011 1:00:00 AM More reviews by Buddyzowie7

Well, I like this toner, but I just bought it, so I'll see if it has any bad adverse reactions on me. I have used most of Botanic's products and they all work wonders for me, so here is to hope. I'll repost in a few weeks about the results, so crossing my fingers that this is my miracle toner. I got tired of making my own toner. I use to use salt water or green tea but I think my skin got use to the two, so it's not very effective anymore. The lady at Target suggested this because of my large pores. Well, here's to hope.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2011 1:35:00 PM More reviews by Espressophia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this toner. I love that it contains natural ingredients and I can really feel it work its magic. My face feels squeaky clean and fresh when I use this-- might be kind of drying, but if you use a good moisturizer afterwards it shouldn't be a problem. I have used many toners in the past, ranging from those with salicylic acid to expensive Clinique formulas to a very basic one by Neutrogena, but this toner is the best I've tried. My acne has cleared and my skin is so soft. Even the packaging is pretty. My only complaint is that some of the ingredients settle to the bottom and stay there, even after shaking the bottle. I've resorted to using a chopstick (clean and unused, obviously) to stir it occasionally. But other than this stuff is great.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/27/2010 3:01:00 PM More reviews by KSoto

bought this on a whim...
made my face red, developed a rash, and my face become swollen the first time I used it :/
took this product back.
however it did help with oil control.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2010 8:57:00 PM More reviews by nevroth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this to complement Botanics Complexion Refining Deep Clean Mousse, and WOW it's wonderful. I haven't used a toner in years, ever since I ran out of a Clinique one and didn't want to spend the $$ to buy another. I was referred to this by the Boots Lady at Target last weekend, and I thought I would give it a go since she said it would balance my oily but drying skin. I have to say that it has! I have no more dry patches, and it has kept the oilies at bay by not breaking me out and I don't feel like a greaseball at the end of the day. It does sting a bit on my face when I use it, but not on my neck or decollete. No redness or breakouts anywhere, and I feel like my complexion is brighter! It has "Amazonian clay" in it, and that'll settle to the bottom, so you do have to shake it up a bit before using. Still, this is really great, and since I'm having no bad reactions I'll continue to use it.

UPDATE: June 20 or 2ish months later. I have about 3 uses left in the bottle, so it's safe to say it lasts about two months. I haven't had major breakouts since I started, and even though summer is coming and my face is getting oilier, this is really helping to combat that. The stinging sensation faded away within a week, only returning if I used a facial scrub prior. I'm trying to go more natural, so in lieu of buying another I'm going to try using green tea as a toner. But I still loved this toner, I'll probably get another anyways, lol.

UPDATE: July 19. I RAN back to this toner. I tried an apple cider vinegar/green tea toner because it's so natural, but it did nothing for my skin- in fact, I think it was breaking me out. Since I stopped using this toner, I broke out terribly within a week. It might have been the really hot weather, it might have been hormones, it might have been the apple cider vinegar, but I was getting a new pimple nearly everyday- and the kind that eventually scabs over- NOOO!! WHY!?!? My usual benzoyl peroxide cream wasn't working either. Finally after a month of suffering, I gave in and bought the toner, thinking "Well, since I was using this before, it's worth a shot again."

Lemme tell you, using this day and night and 2 DAYS LATER, I'm pimple free. Also the ones that I had have mostly faded, and the ones I could feel coming never showed up. Granted, I also used the Botanics Clay mask 2 days ago also, so it might have helped. I'm still using the same Complexing Refining Cleansing Mousse and I'm never never EVER going to stop using this toner again! My face is looking SO MUCH better, and I FEEL better too :0)

UPDATE: April 9, 2011- just about a year later. Still using this product with great results. It's one of those things that makes you FORGET you have skin problems until you stop using it. Again, I tried to switch to Witch Hazel as a toner, but though it worked good in the beginning, after a few weeks it started breaking me out. Not as much as the ACV, but a pimple here and there, and even on my chest (whaaa, I haven't had those since highschool). Back to this toner and all's well again. You'd think I learn, but thankfully this product is forgiving. I'm sad to read that there might be a bad reaction for some people :( But I'll be glad to take it off your hands ;)

I keep this bottle on it's side, so it's easier to shake up the clay and goodies. I've noticed that some bottles are easier to mix than others for some reason, but as long as they work (and they do!) Also using the Day Lotion, still love the clay mask and mousse too (although sometimes I use another cleanser with success as well), and again, this toner is a keeper.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No