September 2, 2014 | 1977 users online

Gels/Soaps - Kirk's Original Coco Castile Soap

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2014 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Douglass

I chose Kirks due to it being fragrance free, upon it's first use on my face the rich lather was evident however the burning sensation was too much for me so I stopped using it on my face. I believe this is due to the Lye ingredient it may contain, I will continue to use the bars I purchased on the body as I feel it cleans off the deodorant soap I use normally. Rather inexpensive for a fragrance free soap. I will give it 3 stars.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2014 1:24:00 AM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

We love the fragrance free version of this soap, always have it on hand and apparently it is a very popular product as the price has doubled in the last year or so. This is mild, effective no irritating and what soap used to be before the current over scent everything fad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2014 11:40:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

I love this soap as an every day body cleanser, I even use it to shave. I love oil and glycerin based soaps, I feel they moisturize much better than most name brand moisturizing soaps like Dove and Olay, and are more gentle, and can create a good protecting lather to shave. Kirk's is an inexpensive and readily available option that I can get at Walmart for less than 1$ a bar. It is also very basic with no fragrance, which is a plus for me. I really do like this soap, however, I would never use it on my face, and I also use a feminine ph-balanced wash for my lady parts rather than this.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2012 5:52:00 PM More reviews by birdie1027

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used about 4 bars of Krik's Original Coco Castile - fragrance free soap. I have to tell you the lather is so rich and soft, it sucks you in. You feel like you are pampering and cleansing yourself with something natural and special. It really does rinse clean. We also noticed the strange sensation when the suds got around our noses when washing our faces. For lack of a better description, it was like the suds were somehow getting through to our sinus passage. Very strange light suffocating, allergy feeling. So we stopped using it on our faces immediately, and should have discontinued use right then. But again, that lather and clean supple feeling kept us addicted for a while longer.

UNFORTUNATELY, after a trip to my dr's office about 2 weeks ago, I learned that this special, natural soap is the cause of our red, burning skin, My chest, neck, inner thighs, and "bottom." My boyfriend as well - the unmentionables. NOT GOOD - VERY UNCOMFORTABLE!

If you are sensitive to glycerin or vegetable glycerin there is the problem. The formula was modified. There is more vegetable glycerin and less of the coconut oil. We, like others, noticed the order switch in the ingredients on the package. It may be cheaper for companies to make it this way for mass production since it sells. Bummer! Anyway, I had to use a steroidal cream for a bit over a week- three times a day to relieve the constant itch, burn and rash that was associated with using this soap. It spread with scratching. Important: I also learned, through research of my own, that if you have allergies or sensitivity to some or all of the following as I am, then you should avoid this soap and similar products like "the plague:" fragrant plants/flowers, sulfites (like in red wine, some meds.), peanuts, palm or coconut oils. And if you never used like products before you may not know that you had this sensitivity. Check LIVESTRONG for more information on vegetable glycerin sensitivity, etc. I hope this review, while long, was very helpful.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2012 11:13:00 AM More reviews by Gibby95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is by far my favorite soap! I love how it's made with all natural ingredients and contains coconut oil. I use it on my face (twice daily) and sometimes my body. Of all the soaps/cleansers that I try, I always come back to this one! It lathers/rinses very nicely, and leaves my skin feeling clean and soft. It doesn't make me break out and it seems to help keep my skin in balance. Plus, it's only $1! Great stuff. :-)

8/30/12 Update:
I was almost out of this soap so I bought a few more bars. When I washed my face with it, I noticed a different, somewhat unpleasant smell. I looked at the ingredients and compared with my other bar, and they changed their formula! Instead of reading "coconut soap, water, coconut oil, vegetable glycerin..." it read "coconut soap, water, vegetable glycerin, coconut oil..." : [ I haven't really been using it long enough to tell if if makes any difference, but I still wish they would have kept it how it was :\

rated 1 of 5 on 3/12/2012 5:09:00 PM More reviews by FrogPrincess1987

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Some ups and downs with this one, but I like it in general. I have sensitive skin and prefer to use products with all natural ingredients. This soap is a little harsh but it definately gets you clean. I have extremely dry skin and I tend to use a lot of heavy moisturizers that I get a build up from. This definately helps clean my face of the moisturizers but I don't use this as a daily facial soap (more for the rest of my body and ma hoo ha didn't have a problem with it either). I use this for my face every other day or so to keep a build up away and be blemish free. I couldn't find the fragrance free one and the one I have smells like lemons... almost like lemon scented pine-sol. It says its all natural fragrance but it doesn't smell like it. If I could find it in a local store I would buy the fragrance free one because I do not like the scent of the fragrant one. Otherwise its a decent all natural soap :)
**UPDATE**
I can't keep using this soap for my body. I think my skin got sensitized to it. Its way to drying and I've never had a soap burn my skin and make it turn red before. It took a while after I put two layers of lotion on for the burning, redness, and itching to subside. I gave the soap to my boy friend since he has no problem and actually prefers this soap. No thanks for me I'm going to try Cetaphil (has great reviews)

rated 1 of 5 on 11/27/2011 10:34:00 PM More reviews by gona2rul

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used this as well as the liquid formulation when I decided to find a natural soap to use.

The bar soap version left me with very dry skin and a white residue on my hands after showering. I also ran across a bar or two that caused burning in the privates. My skin was also very dry, even in the summer months when I am usually oily. After some research I found out it had a ph of 9. So I decided to try the liquid soap. Though my skin wasn't as dry, the liquid soap left a residue behind (on my legs especially) that caused my skin to itch. I also tried to use it as a facial cleanser because I have oily facial skin, but it was too drying to for me.

After taking a break from it for a month with Clearly Natural Glycerin soap, I went back to it. Now the liquid version is causing the burn in the privates and my skin is so much drier than it was before that it hurts. I will not use this product again and I would not recommend it for people who are prone to dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2011 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Tiltyred

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have about two dozen bars of this soap stashed away because I'm afraid they'll go out of business some day and then what will I do? The lather is so luxurious! I love that there's no scent, and I love how clean I feel when I use it. I also use a net sponge -- just a couple of passes over the sponge makes enough lather for your whole body.

As to washing your lady parts with it -- don't put the bar of soap directly on your skin in that region, and rinse promptly. That has worked for me!

I use this soap in the kitchen as well, for washing hands and dishes and for general cleaning.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2011 8:40:00 PM More reviews by preeti6

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, this is kind of weird, I guess, but I am not a feminine wash-type. i use my regular soap to clean everything in the shower. This soap was fine enough for the body, not that drying, no real smell, since it is fragrance free. What's the problem? I don't know WHAT the heck is in this soap, but it made me sting down there..... Never had that problem with soap, adn I have tried many, both drug store and specialty. While I like using natural-type soaps, because I like my soap to be useful on the whole body, I won't use this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2011 11:27:00 PM More reviews by rebbal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this soap. Basic, natural, clean. I've used about every soap and shower gel in the known universe, but this one wins, hands (and body) down. I have occasionally used it on my face, but only if I have had an excess of sunscreen or oil slick, and followed by my usual cleanser. I wouldn't recommend it as a facial cleanser, but is excellent at keeping skin below the chin squeaky clean and clear. I use it in one of those nylon net soap catchers and it lathers like crazy, even in hard florida water, and lasts a decent amount of time. I like that there is no added scent in this, as it doesn't clash with any of my other lovely potions and lotions. :) An absolute staple. I've attempted others since first trying it, but have finally come to my senses. This is The One. HG.