April 16, 2014 | 868 users online

Styling Products - Alterna - Hemp Seed Straightening Balm

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2012 2:24:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

I work in a salon, so I got this for free. This is just okay, really nothing special. It smells good, but that's about all it did for my hair. I have naturally thick & curly/wavy hair that I always straighten. I've used way better products than this, & for cheaper (& I've tried a lot). I will not ever buy this myself. I really don't understand how so many people think this is top notch quality...it really isn't. You're paying for overpriced soft gel that smells good. That's really all this is. Don't fall for the hype. The Bamboo line from Alterna works much better, but it's also more expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2010 7:55:00 PM More reviews by addiejoy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My HG hair product! I buy this in the 10.1 oz pump bottle, two at a time, on eBay. One of those bottles lasts me a year, and I use quite a bit each day. My hair is thick, and each individual hair is fine. The texture is pretty straight anyway, but I find that this gives it a smoothness, and almost makes my hair feel the way it did BEFORE I started straightening it...kind of like baby hair, hehe! It also makes the brush literally GLIDE through my hair while blow-drying. If I knew how to use a blow-dryer and brush properly, I'm sure this would give me the ultimate blow-out. :) I love it. It smells great, I can find it for an affordable price (just takes a little eBay hunting, that's all!), and it works wonderfully for my hair. I use it along with: Schwarzkopf Sealed Ends, Nexxus Sleek Memory, and Schwarzkopf CQ 10 Leave-In Conditioner. I know...a lot of products. Some days I use less, some days I use them all. I just like to have a lot of product on the ends of my hair, to be between my hair and the flat iron (I'm an addict)...especially since I highlight my hair. Anyway, this is one of my favorite products ever, and I will probably continue using it until the day I die! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2010 4:32:00 PM More reviews by rutabega

This is a great product and did not make me break out--while other straightening products did.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2008 5:40:00 PM More reviews by Julie888

This is a really nice Straightening product. It made blowing out my naturally curly hair so easy. It says that it helps prevents static and it really does! My hair also felt and looked fuller.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2008 2:58:00 AM More reviews by rimazima

Love, love, love! This product is really humidity resistant. I can flat iron my hair at night, sleep on it, and it will still be straight in the morning. Dries my hair fast too. The only thing I wish was that it provided more moisture to my hair. But I use a leave-in conditioner to help with that now. Still by far the best product for straightening my hair!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2008 12:10:00 PM More reviews by toyarosie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this product, it smells amazing and seems to work really well on my uber curly, fine hair. I would sound more excited about the product but I've been using a few great products lately to get my hair in great condition so I can't entirely say that it's this product that made my hair look better straight then it ever has. But certainly its worked well in terms of keeping frizz at a minimum and personally the smell alone would make me buy it again. My hair feels soft, not sticky at all, and looks healthy. I straightened my hair last night with it for the first time, and usually in the AM I have to use my flat iron to re-straighten out the kinks it gets from bedhead, but there was no need to today. Overall I'd say this is a worth a try!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2008 11:22:00 PM More reviews by Sherrytimes5

This was given to me to try, along with a bunch of other products, and it was one of the only ones I actually liked. Most of the other ones were sticky, but this one wasn't. I wouldn't buy it again because I did find other ones that were much better, but it wasn't bad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2008 4:33:00 AM More reviews by blondejunkie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this product and have been using it since 1999!!!! Everytime I have tried something else I did not like it and returned to this. It works good at making sure my hair is straight and stays striaght, even in humidity. It keeps my fly aways to a minimum. It doesn't weigh my super thin hair down. It keeps my hair protected from the heat (I beat my bleached blonde hair up quite a bit).

I am picky about my straightening products, I have religiously used it for the last 9 years. Will not use anything else unless this is discontinued. I have learned my lesson from using other similiar products.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2008 10:39:00 PM More reviews by eqing

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Usually I'm quite definitive with the 'Would you buy this again' part. This product left me a bit inconclusive. I have long dry thick curly coarse hair, that said, yep it straightens well. Its not the heat factor alone, something in there helps out. Scent is nice, fruity. Adds tons of volume, not worried about it weighing hair down despite 2 silicones. The thing is: my hair is left really roughed up, messy, fuzzy straight, no sleekness to be found. Applying it to dry hair after didn't help. I've used products that maybe didn't straighten as well but gave me a nicer finish. So if your up for many products go here, otherwise pass.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/21/2007 12:57:00 PM More reviews by ChillaFreak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I actually really liked this product. It didn't at all seem flyaway after I used the chi over my hair. That is where I usually run into trouble.....it seems fine, then after I straighten it's like static. I used a serum after I used the straightener...(the little chi silk drops) and my hair was soft and smooth. I wash every other day, and my hair was just as pretty as the day before, not greasy like after using other products. All in all, I liked it a lot...a bit expensive, but it works! Will repurchase if it keeps up the good work.
EDIT: I agree with the poster who posted after I did....after using this product I noticed that my hair wasn't very manageable. I need a product that will straighten this well (and keep the flyaways away) at the same time that it leaves a nice "finish" and gloss. Still searching for my HG....