Orly Monroe's Red

4.9

Beautiful retro red, looks beautiful on cool skin but would probably suit any skin tone.

A gorgeous shade of classic red, has a slight shimmer but is mostly 'hidden'- it's visible in direct sunlight but generally cannot be seen in indoors. Translucent (like all creamy reds I've tried so far) but still opaque in one coat. I use 3 coats for longevity. It has a 'crelly' finish: it has the opacity of a cream as well as super-shiny 'squishy' look jelly polishes have.

Orly is my favorite nail polish brand for a reason: its brush, handle, and formula are all fantastic, plus they have a wide range of colors to choose from. It's affordable as well, and you get 0.6 fl oz compared to the average of 0.5. In general, I begin seeing chipping with any nail polish brand after 5 days of application, and this polish is no different.

Monroe's Red is very glamorous, definitely looks like something its namesake Marilyn would have worn! One of my favorite reds in my massive collection, along with Nicole by OPI Deeply in Love and Zoya America (the quintessential red polish on the market in my opinion).

Recommended!

A slightly blue based medium red. Very glossy finish. 2 coats provide an opaque coverage. Dries out quick, lasts a few days.

on 6/7/2013 12:27:00 PM

it is beautiful, classic true red. The ultimative red every girl should have! The only minus for me is that it chippes after 2 days.

on 5/19/2011 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is not a true red, but rather a slightly blue based red that is very subtlety muted. I feel like the name is very appropriate because I do see Monroe wearing this kind of red. I LOVE the finish, its a jelly cream that when topped with a top coat, is so pretty and shiny. My bf said they almost looked fake. The formula is slightly watery, but it goes on very smooth and I have no application troubles. No streaks whatsoever and with two coats, the finish is not completely opaque but in a nice way and even despite my sub-par application. I have warm NC30 skintone and this still works on me but I would imagine this would really shine on someone with cool skintone.

on 10/28/2010 3:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is the red color i'm looking for! :D It has tiny shimmers, it's very glossy, it's really RED but not too much red. Just the perfect Red nail polish. :)

on 4/17/2010 12:24:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Perfect Red. That is all. It's just the most perfect looks-like-a-cream-but-then-in-the-sunlight-with-a-microscope-you-can-see-a-very-slight-tonal-shimmer *true* red. Application is similarly perfect -- if pressed, I can leave the house with one coat; second coat just adds a bit more depth. The wear is very good, and I nabbed it during a Sally's buy 2 get 1 sale so the price was excellent. I'm totally smitten, and would definitely repurchase.

Popular Polishes