April 19, 2014 | 1046 users online

Sunscreen - E.L.F. - SPF 45 Sunscreen

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Once again, I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of an ELF product! This high SPF powder comes in a generous-sized, chic, square black container that looks like it would cost $50 and come from the MAC store. If applied with the powder puff provided, this provides coverage like a powder foundation. This first time I used it, that's how I applied it and I did not need any foundation. If you use a fluffy brush, the application is sheerer and gives coverage more akin to a setting powder. This is a lovely product- it provides a matte finish without looking chalky and doesn't make my skin look or feel dry. Additionally, the color works perfectly for my uber-fair skin. I would say that this powder has a slight rose-apricot tint to it. But it looks great on my skin! Actually provides a little warmth and color... particularly if I apply it over the whitening Coppertone Waterbabies that I typically use. I am going to buy a back-up immediately. This isn't sold in stores, but you can get from drugstore.com or the ELF website. I've been so happy with the products that I have tried from ELF that I plan on trying a bunch more soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2013 4:44:00 PM More reviews by BeFineFilipina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

The packaging is the same as the HD powder, so I knew not to open the plastic all the way so that all the powder wouldn't sift out into one huge mess. Overall, I'm really liking this! It's cheap, works great on my tan skin and I love getting everyday SPF protection when I don't want to break out my uber expensive JM argan sunscreen face lotion.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by tori497

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

First off, I have not road tested this in harsh conditions. I will update my review to speak more of the SPF aspect of this product later. What I already know I like, and why I will continue to use, is the cost to benefits ratio. This stuff is super cheap compared to other powder SPF's and most others are white, creating a cast on my skin. This does have a tint to it but unless you are really caking it on, it is unnoticeable on my light/medium, cool skin tone. I can see for those with more yellow undertones, this may look a little strange. But again, I find it to be sheer enough to not color my skin.

The packaging could be better. I left the sticker over the sifter and lift up from one side each time I use it. I am sure in time, the sticker will come off completely and make a mess. I use a powder brush with this, not the enclosed puff, so I cannot comment on that aspect of the product/packaging. There are really no directions about how MUCH of this to use to achieve the desired SPF level indicated by the product description. It mattes my skin, but does not make it cakey, and doesn't feel like I have anything on at all.

I use a moderate dusting on top of all my other makeup and call it a day. If you are looking for something portable, unless you have a big purse, this is not the best. Perhaps at one point they will have a combined jar and brush delivery system to use on the go. I will update once I have used for its sun protection to the fullest, but for now I am pleased. I am not breaking out and did not go broke buying this product.

UPDATE 7/9/2013: I wore this while touring botanical gardens out in the sun from 2-6pm. I brushed an even layer on top of my (SPF 20) moisturizer and makeup. It set my makeup beautifully and kept my t-zone shine-free AND I did not get ONE freckle from being out for four hours!! As an SPF, this stuff is AWESOME!!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2012 2:58:00 PM More reviews by redlipstick47

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wish I could have made a go of this, but I could not. It makes such a cast on my skin that it is unwearable as is. Maybe if there were a lower SPF, I might be able to use it easier. I am medium-dark, African American and I had to mix dark mineral makeup with this just to make me not look like a ghost.I have this problem with a couple of so-called colorless sunscreens. Physicians Formula was a fail as well on this front.The only powdered sunscreen I have been able to use with success is by Colorescience, which makes one in in my skin tone AND the clear one is actually clear.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2012 1:56:00 PM More reviews by smsine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this! Yet another ELF win. This is the only sunscreen that I have seen in powder form. I recommend this to anyone and everyone!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by APassionateObsession

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have become a strong advocate of sunscreen. Sunscreen prevents age spots and uneven skin tone, discoloration and melanoma.

However during the mornings when your running 15 minutes late as usual... waiting for yet another layer of liquid to settle into your skin is a few seconds too much to spare. Not to mention most sunscreens leave a white cast or make your skin appear oily.

I discovered this E.L.F Sunscreen almost 2 years ago. After booking my ticket to Costa Rica I knew I would need layers upon layers of sunscreen. I marched over to the E.L.F. website and ordered myself one of these bad boys.

I do not know of many brands that offer a powder sunscreen and since this was the most memorable to me I wanted to give it another try.

I used it every single day in Costa Rica and came back almost no tan whatsoever. (I did use a liquid sunscreen under this.)

What sold me on this sunscreen was it's powder form. I love that I can just buff this in over my foundation and it both sets my foundation as well as gives me the SPF I need!

The ELF one comes with a puff. I normally tap some into the cap and buff it in with a kabuki brush.

The site says there is no color but if you wipe your face, the sunscreen will come off in a foundation like tint. It doesn't have any coverage, I would say it is very sheer on your skin.

There is one downside to this product. When I do buff this in, I notice my skin appears pink compared to my neck and chest. Having yellow skin town it is a bit weird to have such a pink face. I would like to say that my face is naturally darker and less yellow than my neck and chest but with this on it is more obvious. I am also very fair so that might make the pink more pronounced.

It retails for $6, however I think it is only available off their website. I haven't seen it at Target. Their $7 shipping fee is steep.... I would wait for a coupon code if your interested in this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2012 10:19:00 PM More reviews by Sierra0001

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's a good product to put on after moisturizer and before foundation. Since my skin is dark, it looked kind of chalky but went away after I put on my foundation. I HATE the packaging though. It's huge and bulky and annoying... It can't even fit in my makeup bag and I hate that. I had to buy a separate sifter from sephora so I could carry it around with me. I didn't use the puff it came with to apply it either, I decided to apply it with a kabuki bush instead and save the puff for another use. Other than that, I guess I'd buy it again, but I wouldn't be running to the store to go get one.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2012 3:41:00 PM More reviews by stashdiphi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My remarks are in agreement with some of the other reviewers: the powder gets everywhere if you open it too quickly, and it's bulky, making it not ideal for travel. However, I love this powder. I'm an NW35, so the tint is no problem for me. I don't care too much about the spf factor, either, since if I need sun protection, I wear ss. So why do I love this powder? Because it really does provide a lovely matte finish to my look, which makes it easier for me to wear less products, in particular, concealers. I can look polished in considerably less time than it takes to spot conceal, which is fine by me.
I don't use the puff thing that it comes with, however. I have more control if I use a powder brush instead.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by iamlizlemon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Works great but is not "sheer" so paler ladies, stay away. I have very dry skin and this product sets my makeup but does not make me look cakey or overly dry. If I'm going to apply moisturizer, foundation, and set it with a powder, why not use products that each have SPF in it? This happens to be a good, cheap, & high SPF powder but only if you have a darker skintone or can stand the "sheer" color it puts on.
---------------------
SUN PROTECTION: I'm not sure about the reviewer who claims it does not protect against UVA rays because the packaging clearly states "UVA/UVB Protection". Perhaps they have reformulated it or something but it has both Titanium Dioxide (21.25%) and Zinc Oxide (17%) in fairly large quantities.
---------------------
COLOR: My MAJOR problem with this powder is that it is NOT translucent. I used it in the summer when I was a bit darker and even then, it noticeably added a pink/orange tone to my skin (NC20). My head definitely looked like it was separate from my neck--oompa loompa indeed!. For me, it was like a bronzing powder even when I applied a sheer layer.
---------------------
TEXTURE: I think the powder itself is nicely milled & did not leave my face powdery or cakey looking. I even feel like it left a slight sheen, not shimmers or glitters, but definitely not a flat powder. I really liked that about this powder because I could set my makeup & get SPF protection all without a flat matte look.
---------------------
CONCLUSION: Overall, I think this product is a good setting powder with an added perk of giving you decent SPF if you have a darker skintone.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2011 11:18:00 AM More reviews by zomgstina

I absolutely LOVE this product. I have rather oily skin as well as large pores so this product help matte-ify my face and fill in the pores. I can't complain about the tone because it does fit my shade and I'm rather orange toned to begin with. It also claims to have UVA/UVB protection which is a plus too! Definitely purchasing again.