November 26, 2014 | 1698 users online

Eyeliner - Tarte - EmphasEYES Aqua-Gel Eyeliner

rated 1 of 5 on 9/30/2014 11:46:00 PM More reviews by antiguru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got this free in a clearance palette, thank you beauty gods. At least I didn't pay full price for this crumbly disaster. The stick was not "stuck" and was loose when I opened it but I attempted to use it anyway out of spite. If the actual product did make it to my eyeball, it skipped and removed about ten good years of youth from my eye area before crumbling and falling pitifully into my bathroom sink. Aqua, my arse. There wasn't anything aqua about this pencil. As for the water proof factor, I suppose it was waterproof, as long as you didn't mind looking like a toddler used a dried up sharpie on your undereye area.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2014 9:01:00 PM More reviews by ilyjen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Do not buy this. I wouldn't use it even if it was given to me. I can't even put it on because the stick just crumbles off as soon as it touches my eye so I'm left with chunks of product stuck to my eyelid. It also does not retract, causing 50% of the product to just break off the first time I used it. I also tried using a smudge brush to even it out. nope. It doesn't blend. Crappy 99 cent drugstore eyeliner performs better than this.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/7/2014 5:57:00 PM More reviews by Caxap

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't know how this got past Tarte's testing stages. It is HORRIBLE!!!!! Should have never been released into the market! It is very soft, and will crumble and break off as you're putting it on. Impossible to work with. Impossible to get a thin line. I've tried it over the course of several months and have finally given up. The longevity is fine, assuming you get past the application phase (good luck with that). Luckily I didn't pay for this.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2013 7:34:00 PM More reviews by reddbone

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this eyeliner as a freebie with a pallet I ordered from Tarte. I was really excited to try this out because I thought it was going to be really long lasting. I applied this to my waterline of my left eye and within seconds it was all over my contact lens. Then the whole white of my eye turned brown because the eye liner just ran into my eye. My eye started burning so bad. I had to take my lense out and clean it, Then clean my eye out with cotton swaps so I wouldn't mess up my carefully applied eye makeup. I really don't like this product because it is pretty expensive and is crap. It was like putting liquid liner on my water line. Another thing I noticed is that, I had a swatch of this on the back of my hand, and when I went to go run an apple under water, the eyeliner came off. I didn't rub my hand or use soap or anything. I just ran it quickly underwater. Also a piece broke off while I was applying it. I really don't recommend this at all and it would be better to get the Maybelline master drama for a great liner. It didn't feel very creamy and almost wet when I applied it so that may be where the name aqua comes in. But besides that it is GARBAGE!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2013 12:15:00 PM More reviews by misanders

This is not a great product. I have this in a teal color ( the name isn't on it). What I do like is that it is a thin twist up eye liner...that's about it on the positives. The negatives are...I tried this on my water line and it stung like crazy. My eyes were watering until all traces of this were gone from there. I tried using this just under my eyes and the formula was dry and tugged. I also put it on my hand next to a MUFE in a similar color, waited 5 minutes. When I rubbed this came off immediately and the MUFE one didn't budge. So I wouldn't say this is long-wearing like the packaging claims. I have sensitive eyes so I won't be purchasing anymore of these.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2013 11:57:00 AM More reviews by JayCollins

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got this on sale at Sephora, and am reminded One More Time to read the reviews on MUA before buying something. Even something as tempting as eyeliner.

I have a major in black eyeliner with a minor in black mascara. I have been wearing black eyeliner for ten thousand years, and have been around the eyeliner block, so to speak.

This is black, make no mistake. A very tempting, dark black. But it slid, slipped, slopped and skipped all over my eyelids until I gave up and attempted to fix it with another product. I powdered it to set it in place, and it smeared all over the poof and, subsequently, the rest of my eye.

Boo! Hiss! Cry! Whimper! I shall console myself by buying more makeup. This will go onto the "bad makeup choices" pile as a reminder to all who travel this path. Which is no one, really, I'm just being dramatic. That's how I feel about black eyeliner.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this in a Sephora 500 point bonus pack and am pretty pleased with it. The one I have is a green that goes on a dark forest green with a hint of green shimmer that is really pretty. The formula is very smooth and creamy but doesn't smear or wear off. Would recommend overall.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 6:47:00 PM More reviews by VegetaFanGirl

I will never have a clear comprehension of why this product was made. It is extremely cumbersome and stubborn to work with! When I first bought it, it looked like your regular twist-top pencil eyeliner. I have the purple one, by the way, which is actually a nice color. I tried applying it several times and it just came out like, as someone else below me said, butter in a stick. It tends to break A LOT, so don't dispense much. It also looks very watered down and is not very pigmented. What you can do, though, is apply it in small clumps and redistribute them with a liner brush. Also, apply two layers. It won't make the eyeliner any less stubborn, but it can make it look less horrible. Since it breaks a lot, you probably won't have it for long- or you'll throw it away instead. I have had flaking issues with it too. Either way. It is pretty pricey, around $19, which you should not give up for an 11.5cm liner!!! What is good about it is the staying power- waterproof indeed. Still, I would absolutely not recommend this eyeliner! Save yourself a good $20!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 9:52:00 PM More reviews by MissBrittanyM

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an EXACT duplicate of Avon's LiquiGlide eyeliner ( or that is a dupe of this). The big difference is the price, since you can buy half a dozen from Avon for the price of 1 from Tarte. Anyhow, this is essentially a gel eyeliner in pencil form... very soft and very wet. It does take a bit of learning to use but the color pay off is incredible. Very little product in the tube so go for Avon's.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/3/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by Decobalgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product is a joke. It is not, and I mean NOT NOT NOT an eyeliner. It's called an eyeliner. It's packaged as an eyeliner. It's marketed and sold to the unwitting masses as eyeliner. But the one thing it cannot do to save its life is line the eyes. Or "line" anything, for that matter.

What it is: lovely, creamy, soft, pigmented runny melted ice cream. How they got it to take the shape of a long thin cylinder/tube inside the packaging is beyond me. Because it doesn't hold its shape if you blow on it, much less try to apply it to your eyes.

Boy, did I learn this the hard, painful, blinding way. Straight out of the tube, I tried to apply it to my tightline/upper waterline. It immediately melted into a pool of pudding and ran down my eye. No trace of color on my tightline, but a hazy film of liquidy goo blurred my vision right away, and the pudding puddled somewhere down in the inner corner of my eye. I strained to look through the blurred glaze left on my eye and saw that the entire few millimeters of "liner" I had advanced out of the tube to line my eyes was gone. There was no liner or pigment on my upper lid or tightlight, but I did have a puddle of goo in the corner of my eye and a thin, blurring glaze over my iris/pupil to show for it.

Shame on you, Tarte. I'm crazy about Tarte and own just about everything they put out. Yes, companies can make products that are a miss and are soon discontinued. But what makes this shameful is that when I complained to Tarte about it, they had the unaccountable gall to tell me "yeah, it's supposed to be soft". Really? So soft that the slightest pressure will collapse the tip down on itself, make it ooze out from all sides and settle into a melted puddle in the one place makeup is never intended to go, namely, in your eye????

I own lip gloss out of a squeeze tube with more body and firmness than these aqua-liners. Run, run for your lives.