October 20, 2014 | 1570 users online

Lipstick - Black Opal - Vitamin-Rich Lipstick - #44 Chocolate Raspberry

rated 4.0(1 review)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2010 10:38:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This lipstick turned out to be an good mistake.
Yesterday at the drugstore as I thought I was purchasing 'Sheer Plum' (I love sheer lipsticks) I inadvertently bought 'Chocolate Raspberry' - the display was disorganized & I didn't bother to check the color label since the color of the lipstick through the transparent top looked quite attractive like it would be a lovely sheer plum w/some iridescence.
On the train ride home I removed the plastic wrapper & tested it on my hand - medium-sheer in 1 swipe, no shimmer, no frost, & it's creamy but MATTE. Hmm I'm not a fan of matte but it's sheer so I figured I could work with it. On my hand it looked like a brown-raspberry shade. The iridescence I mentioned before was super-fine & imperceptible upon application, though you can perceive it in the stick itself. Very subtle. That's what gave this lipstick its ability to be matte but not look FLAT.
Alas I didn't get the lipstick I was expecting, but least this wasn't a total loss of $6 - upon applying this color gently to my lips (over some moist lip balm) the color payoff is rich & visible yet sheer & natural looking. A light applicaiton looks like a lipstain & I can always gloss it up if I want shine. Because the formula is quite firm yet creamy, it was easy to apply within my lipline & looks very neat & professional.
The color on my medium-beige complexion is quite reddish-raspberry-delicately-wine-ish. Chocolate Raspberry is the perfect name for this color. I know Black Opal is geared toward darker skintones but I'm a fiend for anything sheer, & I love great color.
The packaging is great - any lipstick in a petite container is a winner with me. Small black plastic oval-shape lipstick case, full lipstick product amount. Why doesn't every makeup company do this with their lipsticks? This one has a transparent top so you can see the product inside.
Although this lipstick purchase was a mistake, I would surely buy it again. The understated reddish color works great for my more 'dressy' makeup occasions. It doesn't look overly done. A winner.