October 24, 2014 | 1546 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Dark Mahogany Brown

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 2:15:00 AM More reviews by spiritedastray

I started using this because I wanted to tone my hair down from solid black to a softer, but still dark color. My natural hair is auburn, so I went for the dark auburn red on the cover of this hair color. I've always bought Revlon Colorsilk, so this was a shot in the dark. Luckily, it turned out great. It is a dark, rich auburn. It appears darker in low light, but really pops in the sun.

Colorsilk is my favorite because the price is a steal. The cheap gloves they give you are useless, but the product itself is great, and so is the after-color conditioner packet they give you (although it's not really big enough.) What you get from this is what you want: Good quality hair dye that looks like the color on the box and lasts a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2010 2:12:00 PM More reviews by minnieVT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this product.Just wanted to add that the colour does not come out darker on my hair.My undyed hair is dark brown, with dark auburn highlights,and this makes my hair slightly lighter.I would call it a med-dark.It does not fade at all,and I only redo when my roots show too much,about every10-12 weeks.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2010 9:34:00 PM More reviews by JenJenofAz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I use this color and the Dark Brown/Black the most. This goes on kinda dark, like a dark reddish brown/black , but then it does fade to a medium reddish brown, on me anyway! And when it fades, it matches my own natural medium golden brown hair, but with the gray. So, I really don't have to color all that often when using this shade, since I really don't mind the gray showing. It is a drying hair color, but I condition my hair anyway; and besides, it's SO thin, I really don't mind a little of the dryness as it makes it appear to have some kind of body!
Anyway, I find that the color shades are spot on, for me anyway. I have tried the reds as well, and my hair has always turned out as the shade on the box. LUCKY, I guess. Always had luck with this brand.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2010 5:25:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Revlon's Colorsilk is one of the better at-home color kits on the market. There are pro's and con's, so I will list the ones I'm aware of, and you can make your decision:

Pro's:
1. Very inexpensive. Retails between $2.50 and $4.00, depending on where you find it.
2. Ammonia-free. Definitely better for the hair than most colorants out there.
3. Minimal chemical smell. Some of the brands out there will literally send my husband running out of the room (and have me wishing I could go with him), but this one isn't bad at all.
4. Color lasts quite well. I use Dark Mahogany Brown, and it was darker than I anticipated. It HELD in my hair for the whole month with no fading. I only re-colored because I had roots coming in, not because of fading.
5. Leaves hair shiny and soft. Always a big, big plus!!!

Con's
1. Packaging is flimsy. The gloves are the cheap, flimsy, baggy-style. I recommend you invest in a box of latex gloves from Sally's or somewhere so you don't have to deal with them.
2. Solution is runny. This makes it a little harder to work with. It drips easily and soaks into the hair so quickly that it's a little harder to distribute than the thicker, creamier formulations out there.
3. The actual color you get is going to be darker than the color on the box. My Dark Mahogany looked like a nice, rich, dark brown on the box...in reality, it was more of a natural black with a hint of brown. Not so much what I was looking for.
4. Conditioner comes in a pouch rather than a tube. Messy and difficult to save for later.

Despite the con's, I plan to continue using this product in the future due to the lack of ammonia and the condition in which it leaves my hair. I have very damaged hair from color-treating it every month, and I really need an ammonia-free, yet permanent, color. This one fits the bill. I plan to try to gradually go a bit lighter with the color (to my aforementioned plan of a rich, deep brown), but overall I'm happy with the product itself. Be aware that the color will be darker than that on the box and make allowances for that, buy some decent gloves (you can get a box of 100 at Sally's for about $3), and plan to use your own conditioner. Even with those extra expenses, this is still a steal, and better for your hair than most at-home colors, to boot!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No