July 24, 2014 | 1288 users online

Styling Products - SAMY - Ultra-lightweight Conditioning Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2012 9:53:00 PM More reviews by Bylaw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I honestly cannot live without this product. CANNOT.

If SAMY discontinued it, I am sure I would cry myself to sleep for a week. This is not hyperbole. Devastation is not the word.

I have experimented extensively, and by extensively I mean my bathroom overfloweth with products both cheap and pricey. I am an unapologetic hair product junkie, and own stuff from Abba - Wella. I shop at all stores without discrimination.

There are plenty of other products that my incredibly thick, ropy 2B white girl hair needs every day, but I recently decided to skip using my SAMY lightweight conditioning serum for a week while playing around with several other products.

The result: A frizzy, sticky, greasy mess, head hanging in shame over the recycle bin fishing frantically for my store receipt.

I realized that the problem was that I had been skipping the SAMY serum, so after my shower I gleefully rubbed my usual large puddle into my hair along with my Tresemme curl moisturizer and some SAMY curl constructor and curl mousse.

The result: Tears of joy! My naturally beachy waves are back and are defined, smooth, soft, and as close to perfect as a girl gets on this earth. Oh SAMY. Why did I leave you??? I promise I will never do so again.

I don't speak often of HG products because I have so many makeup, hair, and skin products, but SAMY Lightweight Conditioning Serum is most definately a holy-grail product that my life would truly suck without. And by truly suck I mean I would probably just shave off my long enviable waves that other women stop me to ask about and go back to a completely-unsuitable-for-my-face-shape pixie and be done with it, because without the SAMY lightweight conditioning serum, trying to do my bra-strap-length-waves into a head of lovely, smooth, soft definition is an exercise in frustration, futility, and constant bad-hair days. Not gonna happen. It doesn't happen without the SAMY serum. It just doesn't.

Thank you, SAMY. Please don't ever stop making this serum. Please please please. I beg of you. I hope someone at SAMY reads this. I will buy stock in your company if it means I get my serum. Whatever it takes.

I ****NEED**** MY SAMY SERUM. NEED. IT. If it means selling crack to get it I would probably do it.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2012 1:22:00 AM More reviews by Loushes

I have curly dry over processed hair, and serum is an essential part of my hair routine. I have used many different brands and this one is the worst for my hair. There are serums that can make hair too greasy, and this is not good for sure, but at least they give moisture. Well, this is not that case with Samy Ultra weight serum!
Why i don't like it:
- makes my hair even drier (unbelievable, but true!)
- makes my hair hard to detangle
- does not in any way smooth frizzies
- squirts out unexpectedly - impossible to take small amounts of it.

I think this product will be good for people with healthy hair who just need a really light serum.
But if you have dry hair, please don't.
I actually use Gosh Rescue Me Serum - i wonder why there are no reviews about it here - it is a miracle serum. It is just perfect - not too light, not too greasy. It is the only serum that works for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2011 2:17:00 PM More reviews by AQuestionofLust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I picked this up on a whim when Samy products were on sale at my local drugstore. I seldom get along with drugstore hair care, but this product almost immediately established itself as a holy grail in my beauty routine.

This serum comes in a generous 4-oz locking pump(convenient for travel!! It actually does stay locked!) bottle with directions to use on damp hair. I was using it on my freshly blow-dried hair previous to my stylist pointing out the directions on the back, so I didn't get the full benefits of this product for awhile. Ever since my stylist used it on my damp hair that once, I've been hooked. I get hair so glossy that I get compliments every time its freshly washed.

Samy conditioning serum works for whatever style I feel like wearing and yields consistent results with no build up or added weight. I just get soft, shiny hair every time. Even when I let my hair air-dry into its natural curls :) It stands up well to flat iron heat, as well(perhaps it provides a barrier for my hair?). Thankfully, this product also has a very neutral-agreeable, light scent.

I have a lot of dark, fine hair that's halfway down my shoulder blades and use a pump and a half on my damp hair, and an extra drop on my ends once my hair is dry. My first bottle has lasted me 6 months(and counting!). My skin is sensitive and I react to all sorts of products, but Samy's serum has stuck with me without negative reaction, thank goodness!

I've gone through several iffy dye jobs and some mild flat iron damage and Samy conditioning serum STILL makes my hair look wonderful. I love this so much that when Walgreens discontinued carrying it and put it on clearance, I bought the last 5 bottles. I can't imagine ever being without this. I feign annoyance when my best friend(who has fine, stick straight blonde hair and also likes this product) borrows this, but honestly, my bottle has lasted so long, I can manage to let her get away with it.

I highly recommend this product if you can find it. It's really a diamond in the rough. Even at full price, it's only $5USD give or take. As an added bonus, when used to "refresh" next-day hair as directed on the bottle, it does a great job at doing just that. Great for extending a blow out without using dry shampoo.

The only "negative" thing I can say is that I wouldn't say that this product is "conditioning". It calms frizz, adds gloss, and doesn't build-up or add weight to hair, but I can't say my hair feels any softer after use. Other than that, it's a miracle in a purple pump!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2010 3:02:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I saw this at Ulta and decided to try it. I love serums for my hair and was excited to try this since I love the line's deep treatment. It has a slight fruity aroma and makes my hair soft. My hair was less frizzy which was nice, but I didn't notice much in the shine department. It doesn't weigh down my hair or feel greasy which is a major plus for me since I don't want to pull out my curls. It was also very affordable. I put a quarter size on damp hair and let it air-dry when I wear my hair curly. I haven't tried it when I flat-iron my hair and will update when I get a chance to do that. So far, so good.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2010 2:21:00 PM More reviews by rockyxlover

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I started using this a week ago and I love it. I have really frizzy hair and since I got this I haven't had any problems with frizz at all. I've tried a few different kinds of anti-frizz serums and shampoo/conditioners, but this was the only one that has worked so well. After a shower I towel dry my hair, use one pump of this and Aussie's hair insurance, and blow dry. I love the way my hair looks now. It's a lot softer and looks amazing. This is a must-have for me. It smells great and does awesome things for my hair. And, it's pretty inexpensive. :]

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2010 5:11:00 PM More reviews by alittlep11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this product when I decided to find less expensive alternatives for my pricey habits. It was to replace all my Redken and Paul Mitchell serums. I have been happy with it so far! It smells great and helps tame my frizzies really well. I have long and fine hair and I feel this product doesn't weigh my hair down.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2010 1:48:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This really controled my frizzies. I used four pumps on my long damp hair and twisted it up in a bun. The next morning: smooth glossy waves. It's not sticky or weird smelling, but regular coconut oil works better. I picked this up at Rite Aid for 2/$4 last week.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2010 12:11:00 PM More reviews by Meritorious

OK. I'm on my fourth bottle of this, so I feel pretty confident recommending it. I have shoulder-length curly hair of medium thickness. I don't do well with silicones because my skin breaks out from them, so I'm always checking styling products to make sure they have very few (if any) 'cones. I think it's kind of dumb to solve one beauty issue while creating another. Anyway, this serum (purple pump bottle, 4 oz.) has amodimethicone as the 7th ingredient so it doesn't bother me much at all.
But it has to work, right? I really love this stuff because 1) it does what it says and 2) can be used in a lot of ways.
I mix this with a leave-in when my hair is wet and it really does tame frizz. I even put it on after my hair is dry to smooth ends or form a curl in a particular way. I do think it conditions but not in a very deep way. It does not weigh down my hair or stretch out my curls. I don't straighten my hair, so I can't comment on how it works for that.

This serum mixes well with other products, gel, leave-ins, creams. I haven't had a mad mixture yet. There is a little hold to this but not a lot. It is fabulous for freshening up my curls. If I'm heading out after work, I can just scrunch and twirl a couple of squirts of this in and it will bring life back into my style. A little diffusing to dry it and it's as good as first thing in the morning. I can get 2nd day weekend hair by running a little more through and diffusing dry.

The smell is a *tiny* bit fruity but it doesn't bother me at all. Others will probably smell flowers or medicine or whatever, so it's kind of nondescript.
The last thing is that I wish this came in a bigger bottle. 4 oz. is OK but I go through it in about a week and a half because I'm using it in so many ways. It would be nice to have the option of a bottle double the size, though, like a spray gel bottle or something.

I'm giving this 5 lippies because the product itself works so well and is so universal.