September 1, 2014 | 1999 users online

Treatments - Sally Hansen - 14 day Nail Shield

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2014 12:38:00 AM More reviews by sweetsparade

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very flimsy, soft nails which peel and rip easily. When I first heard about these I was very eager to try them (after all, they are a nail SHIELD).

Application was fussy but not impossible. It took a lot of placing them on the nail then reattaching trying to get the angle right so it could cover the nail bed complete, because even for all the shapes and sizes they have, none were really a perfect fit.

I found the best application method was to choose one larger than my nail bed, then using something fine and pointed (like the pointed scraper end of a cuticle pusher) to push it into the edge where nail meets skin; then using the exterior side of a cuticle trimmer, carefully run along the same edge to cut off the excess which could be pulled away with tweezers. It was practically like trying to lay carpet on my nails (Nail carpeting? Nail upholstery?).

Finally they were on! They looked okay, for the most part no different than a few coats of nail polish. They did help stabilize my nails and prevent them from splitting or tearing which was wonderful... until about Day 4 of wear.

I noticed not only that some of the nail shields were beginning to lift off from the nail (which I placed a bit of clear nail polish on, stuck it down again then sealed it with a bit more clear polish), but that there were these fine cracks appearing on the shield. I believe this was caused by the movement and use of my hands (and my nails taking the brunt) which created very fine cracks in the shield for dirt to stay trapped. It was a very ugly look.

By Day 5 I thought it was rather pointless. There was a lot more lifting and peeling and the cracks were just unpleasant to look at, so I figured it was time to remove.

Removal was the pits. Not only did it take a lot of polish remover and rubbing, but it kept leaving a sticky residue on my nails so it meant even more work to get that off.

Overall, the supposed '14 Day Protection' perhaps would only apply to girls who do absolutely nothing with their hands including never washing them. Otherwise, that should really be made emphatically clear that it could be UP TO 14 days wear ability.

To be honest, I've decided to cut my losses and move straight to traditional wraps. Sure, it's more work; but considering the cost of the SH Nail Shield, the wraps are more worth it in the long run. I definitely wouldn't buy the Nail Shield again.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/8/2013 1:15:00 PM More reviews by Azaelia11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

i generally didn't mind these on the first day. actually putting them on was the worst i kept getting them stuck to my fingers and trimming them was a huge pain in the butt, so like an hour later i was pleased to say my nails actually looked great :) they felt really nice too, yet the next day my nails looked yellow, it was gross. But my nails do feel quite nice and i don't mind it at all, so give em a try, everyone has a different opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2012 4:51:00 AM More reviews by Novvy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought 2 packs of these as they seemed like a good idea. I'm not supposed to wear nail polish at my work place but my nails needed a chance to grow. I tried them on my left hand for one day and they are a teeny bit fiddly to peel off not rocket science but managed it. Did all the nail prep, it all went smoothly. Went to work came home and examined hand, they were fine so I decided to put the remainder on my right hand but I did them in haste on a morning before I started work and by the end of the day they had all peeled off my right hand but the left hand was 100% intact. I redid all my nails together and they are still intact 5 days later. I doubt if they would last 14 days but I'm more than happy if I get a weeks wear out of these as my nails have grown and feel stronger with the shields on. I'd recommend them. I'd just say nail prep and a quite room with no time constraints is the key to applying them. as for the sizing, the smallest ones in each pack were too small for me and the largest ones can always be trimmed to fit with a pair of nail scissors. I'd deffo use these again as they are such a good idea, polished and strengthened nails without waiting for them to dry :0)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2012 1:57:00 PM More reviews by terrortwigg

I wasn't super excited about purchasing these, they were just cheap and I figured I'd give them a shot. My nails split and peel terribly and I tend to peel off polish which rips layers from the nail, which I'm trying to stop doing. These weren't a dream to apply, but I got the hang of it fairly quickly. I really really wish the nail strips were numbered, I got really frustrated when I kept losing track of which sizes were for which nails. I liked them when I finished putting them on, it just looked and felt like a really nice, shiny topcoat. Next day my nails were incredibly yellow(I think I got the shade shell nude or something?). My nails actually look like I've been smoking for 30 years, so disgusting. I can't wait to take them off. Maybe in a pinker shade I would like them, but they're really not a great product. I got them on sale for $3 or something but I would absolutely not pay the full 6 or 7 dollars for them.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2011 8:26:00 AM More reviews by WendyW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Does it take a bit of patience and practice to put these on? Yes. But ladies, give them a chance. I was applying the Salon Effects, but the designs were a little much for me, so I gave these a try. I bought Sheer Shell, although I think it's the most pink of the choices and not beige as the box states.

The trick to applying these is make sure your fingertails are warm, dry, and free of any oil or dirt whatsoever. File your clean polish-free nails with the darker pink side of the enclosed file. Buff your nails with the white side. Then use rubbing alcohol on each nail to make sure they are clean of any oil or residue. Then blowdry your nails on hot. Yes, before you apply. Make sure your hands (nails) are warm. Make sure you peel off the upper clean plastic strip and then peel the nail strip. You may want to size up your nails before you get started so you're not fumbling around during this process. Remember, you have either end of the strip to choose from depending on the size of your nail and your curticle shape. Line-up at the cuticle area first, press and hold, and then work up the nail. Pull slightly over your tip until the sheet breaks. Curve it around nail tip as your pull. Press all around the nail and then blowdry your nails on hot again. Use the side of the curticle stick to rub out any bubbles or ridges.

Then use the pale pink side of the file to remove excess. The friction cause heat too so the strips fuse even more around the nail edges. If you really need to, use the darker pink file to get off stubborn pieces. Voila! You have perfectly protected and shiny nails. No chemicals, no peeling nail polish that takes the first layer of actual nail off with it. A nice protective layer that lasts a lot longer than any nail polish I've ever tried.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2011 8:44:00 PM More reviews by Devoncats

Followed the directions, prepped my nails properly, but the product came off within hours. Don't throw your money away on this product!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2011 7:50:00 PM More reviews by VersaillesVixen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Should've come to MakeupAlley first and read the reviews! I didn't, and made the mistake of trying this worthless product. Applied them on Monday, and here on Wednesday half have already peeled or chipped off. My nails are not any more protected than with regular polish. They applied just fine, and seemed quite "stuck" on (I've used Salon Effects and LOVE those) but by the end of the day, one had already lifted and peeled away. Almost every hour today another piece had snagged and pulled away on the other nails. Save your money and stay far away from these things.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:51:00 AM More reviews by ChloeJane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is so bad it prompted me to write my first review. I use and love the Salon Effects, so I thought the Nail Shield would be similar. Nope. First, the sizes are way off. They come with more HUGE sizes than medium or small. I mean jolly green giant sizes. The backing was a pain to get off and tended to tear the sticker, leaving that end useless. The film just would not stick to my nails. I tried soap and water clean and nailpolish-remover clean and nothing.I just could not get them to stick.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/15/2010 7:22:00 PM More reviews by jenaralee

Ugh...chalk this one up to experience. They sounded like a good idea at the time. I keep some sort of polish on my nails at all time and I thought this would buy me some extra time between mani's (I do my own.) Nope! After one flub on my thumb I had the hang of applying them. There were a couple tiny wrinkles but I would have let that go. There were some slight tears around the tips of my nails that quickly turned themselves into LARGE tears and chips. These only lasted two days before I removed them...which was like trying to get gum out of your hair. They turned into a gummy mess. Instead of buying a couple packages of these buy a decent natural polish.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2010 10:45:00 PM More reviews by annastefanL

Maybe I'm utterly incompetent but I couldn't get thesr to stick for a minute, let alone 14 days. They are just not sticky enough, I pushed, I pressed and it came right off. Utter waste of $5 :( Just buy a clear coat instead.