October 25, 2014 | 1824 users online

Lipstick - Chanel - Hydrabase Lipstick - Perplex

rated 2 of 5 on 1/24/2013 5:03:00 AM More reviews by veryvintage

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The most boring, aging red ever. The smell is completely nausea-inducing. Terrible, slightly frosty texture. I got this as a gift and totally hate it. I've given it away. For reference I'm NC40.

I've given it a 2 because I think on a very very pale cool-toned person, scent and texture aside it could potentially look good.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2006 4:08:00 PM More reviews by venezia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Definitely the best "my lips but better" color that I've found from ANY brand, Perplex (Hydrabase #24) is a lovely, creamy bronzy-plum. In the tube it looks darker and more metallic than it really is. It does have a rose-y scent that may bother some, but I don't mind the scent, and it doesn't irritate my very dry, sensitive skin. I apply with a lip brush to get more out of the tube, since it is so expensive (approx $24 US; ridiculous price for a lippie, to be sure, but drugstore lippie prices are not far behind!!) The Chanel SA applied Pagoda Glossimer over the Perplex, and the two colors (and formulas) work well together if one wanted the staying power of a regular lippie paired with a gloss for additional shine and/or comfort. I will re-purchase the Perplex when necessary; the Pagoda glossimer is on my wishlist for a future purchase!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2006 5:08:00 PM More reviews by ziebam

I was pleasantly surprised by this lippie. I normally dont like the strong rose scent of Chanel lippies, but I didnt notice it as much with this lippie. I dont know if its because it was a mini or if it was just old, but its actually nice without the scent. Sephora.com lists this as:
"Moisturizing formula imparts broad range of fashion-forward colours with long-lasting satiny finish and medium coverage. Vitamin E and chamomile protect and soothe lips. Soft, creamy formula won't fade, smudge or feather."

I thought it was quite moisturizing and lasts a few hours without eating. IT looks like a scary vampy burgandy shimmer in the tube, but its actually quite sheer on the lips. A pretty reddish brown shade. Very flattering with my NC30 skintone. I really love it. Retails for $23.50 which is a little pricey for a lipstick.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2005 1:04:00 AM More reviews by Lori_W

I can't add much more than what's already been said. It's a rich color that I thought might be too dark, but it's a wonderful warm brownish berry shade.

I would definitely purchase this again for evening wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2004 7:40:00 PM More reviews by evergreenmakeupluver

This is my first Chanel lippie and it's wonderful. Amazing staying power and color versitility. Can't say that I love the smell...but I'm sure I will get used to it. Will definitely buy again.

Update: I have noticed lately that this lippie makes my teeth look whiter - and (after using half the lippie) love the rose smell/taste now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2004 2:35:00 PM More reviews by tiara98

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the complexity and uniqueness of Chanel lipstick shades, and the wear time and color payoff are also exceptional!

Perplex is a beautiful plum/berry shade with a metallic sheen to it. Depending on what liner you wear with it, you can pull berry, rose, burgundy, brown, gold, or copper tones.

It's a perfect power color for day with neutral eyes or sexy at night with a smoky eye look. My favorite nail lacquer with Perplex is Le Vernis in Vertigo. HINT: If this shade is a bit too deep for you, try Vibrant, which is a lighter version.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2004 10:30:00 PM More reviews by RachelDKT

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been looking for a deep red and this is it. Looks fabulous on me, and I like the gold flecks for night time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2004 12:40:00 PM More reviews by AliceinWonderland

Perplex is another one of those decieving colours. It looks maroon in the tube, but goes on a beautiful plummy rose colour. Very good for fall.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2004 11:42:00 PM More reviews by kookykitty

The Chanel MA put this directly on my very deeply pigmented naturally bright pink lips(to give you an idea of how pink..the MA for my wedding put concealer on my lips to tone down the pink). On my lips, it is a berryish red. It looked like a pretty maroonish red in the tube and both the MA and I were surprised at how much berry and pink we saw! But, we decided that it actually looked really good and we left it the way it was. It turned a bit more berry by the end of the day, but it looked fantastic against my MMM Stila D/E yellow undertoned skin. Normally red lip colors that turn pinker or more berry like on me, look awful and end up looking fuchsia. This was not so with Chanel Perplex. So, those ladies w/ super pinky pigmented lips who are afraid of reds turning fuchsia, try Perplex. I'm glad I did and DH *loves* it on me! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2003 9:11:00 PM More reviews by LisaCosmo

WOW what a color! The name perplex suits this shade. It is a rich deep smoky mauve with a hint of brown, maybe a pinch of berry and incredible glamorous gold flecks. PERPLEX is in one word INCREDIBLE! I can't imagine that this wouldn't look great on everyone, it is FABULOUS. Yet another great color from Chanel. This just might be my HG and I never thought I would say that! You won't be dissapointed. After reading all of the great reviews here, I had to see for myself. It is definately worth the trip to check it out.