Avene Very High Protection Emulsion SPF50+ (2010 FORMULA)

Avene aqua, octocrylene, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, diisopropyl adipate, methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol cyclomethicone, aqua, titanium dioxide, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, potassium cetyl phosphate, PVP/eicosene copolymer, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, cucurbita pepo seed oil, decyl glucoside, dimethiconol, disodium EDTA, parfum, glyceryl behenate, glyceryl dibehenate, hydroxyethyl acrylate/sodium acryloyldimethyl taurate copolymer, isohexadecane, polysorbate 60, propylene glycol, silica, sorbic acid, sorbitan isostearate, stearyl alcohol, tocopheryl glucoside, tribehenin, xanthan gum.

on 5/16/2015 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is a really great facial sunscreen. As someone with very fair, sensitive, acne-prone but dryish skin, facial sunscreens are really tough for me to find. For year I used Ti-Silc 60 SPF per doctor's orders - then to my horror it was suddenly discontinued! I immediately thought of Avene because once when I was in Paris, I bought a super high cream SPF made by this brand on a very sunny day and it stopped me burning. I've since re-bought the cream version of this but I much prefer the emulsion. I wear it daily, cloud or sun, and it doesn't bother my combo, oily t-zone skin at all. It seems to balance out the dry and oily areas of my face and it doesn't break me out. Nor does it allow me to burn. No detectable white cast, either. It's expensive and the pump tube is very annoying, but I've paid a lot more for sunscreens that are half as good. It's a keeper!

on 3/20/2014 2:48:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I used this sunscreen for a year and then I began trying new stuff but then I returned to this one when I had to go to a dermatologist to fix my breakouts and acne scars and he recommended this ss as I'm using AHA. But it left that stupid white cast that I looked like a ghost I hated how my face looked but then I tried mixing it with my moisturizer and voila it worked: No white cast and it blended well, also left my skin looking good. so definitely will keep using it. Plus I love the packaging it's not messy and easy to be applied.

on 2/2/2014 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

It's non- sticky and has no white cast.

on 8/15/2013 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Neutral

I've been using this sunscreen for the last weeks, therefore I am still a bit cautious with praise. But so far, I like it a lot.
The packaging is excellent, it does not leave a ridiculous white cast if you fail to rubbing it in _very_ carefully (La Roche Posay Gel-Creme SPF 50+, I am looking at you).
So far, my sensitive skin tolerated it quite well, only gave me two small bumps. But they can easily derive from something else, since I am quite prone to them.
In regards of the _matte_-effect: well... Compared to the above mentioned LRP Gel-Creme: not so much. At first I had difficulties with stickiness I don't have any longer. I assume, this is related to the weather, if it is too hot, it doesn't absorb that well. But maybe that's just me.

I have the version without perfume.

Another note: Obviously, Avene loves to play with our sanity and therefore changes the ingredients quite often. When I was searching for the currently available formula, I stumbled about at least five to ten different ones. All of them claimed to be up-to-date. And they, in part, even appeared on the different Avene websites which didn't really make the research easier.
So, either the sunscreen has different formulas all over Europe alone, or somebody messed up.

Anyway, here are the ingredients I found on my package:
AVENE AQUA. C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE. METHYLENE BIS-BENZOTRIAZOLYL TETRAMETHYLBUTYLPHENOL. WATER (AQUA). CETEARYL ISONONANOATE. DIISOPROPYL ADIPATE. ISODECYL NEOPENTANOATE. BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE. DIETHYLHEXYL BUTAMIDO TRIAZONE. ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE. BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE. POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE. DECYL GLUCOSIDE. ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER. BENZOIC ACID. CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE. CAPRYLYL GLYCOL. DISODIUM EDTA. GLYCERYL BEHENATE. GLYCERYL DIBEHENATE. GLYCERYL LAURATE. HYDROGENATED PALM GLYCERIDES. HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL GLYCERIDES.PROPYLENE GLYCOL. SILICA. SODIUM HYDROXIDE. TOCOPHERYL GLUCOSIDE. TRIBEHENIN. XANTHAN GUM.

on 3/17/2013 6:45:00 PM

I have no idea how anyone abive an NC5 skin tone can wear this as an everyday sunscreen - I am on the fair side (neutral 20 in MAC parlance) and even on me it leaves me looking like a ghost. The recommended amount is 7 pumps. 7! My skin is in good shape - not perfect but pretty good - but if I use this at the 7 pumps I have to wear so much powder to cover it up that I might as well be wearing a mask. It does feel lovely & smooth, not sticky at all. I just can't get beyond the kabuki mask effect it gives.

In addition, it gets stuck in the pores on my nose in a way thats beyond unflattering. And weird as I don't have this issue with other SS or makeup.

Having said that it is excellent for a day spent outside in the sun - which is what it was made for, a day at the beach. But for everyday, not a chance.

on 11/7/2012 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Tried it today and had to write about it! It's great I'm definately a picker when it comes to sunscreen(I read almost every review online to be clear) and ı loved it.I have oily fair skin which after 5 minutes of sun exposure gets spots and I tried bioderma and lrp but this is the best.It spreads easily, doesn't leave a white cast if you wait a few minutes and leaves you with a glow.Since my skin is very pale I loved it.Yeah it did get a little oily in the middle of the day but I didn't mind because it made my skin look so healthy.It' a keeper!

on 6/1/2012 10:52:00 AM

Even though I have a oily forehead, this sunscreen doesn't make it look even oilier so thumbs up for that! It gives an instant glow that I love and it also eliminates sallowness in the skin. However, I gave it only 4 out of 5 stars because the texture is rather difficult to apply. It comes in a cream form but it is quite......dry? Its sort of hard to blend but I don't really mind since it does has its benefits.

on 5/26/2012 4:57:00 PM

This is by far the best sunscreen I've ever used in my life. I was on Bioderma Photoderm Lait for years and it was just horrible greasy, but I had to stick with it for its high SPF.
I'm on Retin-A and this Avene Emulsion is just perfect for skin, it doesn't clog pores, very light texture and has the best protection, my skin is very sensitive to sunlight and I almost always get sunburnt with every other sunscreen, but this protects me very well.
The only con is that it leaves a horrible white cast, I look like a ghost if I don't apply a bronze blusher over it.

My morning routine:
-Wash face with Dove Beauty Bar.
-Moisturize with L'Oreal Hydrafresh AquaGel.
-Apply Avene Emulsion SPF50.
-Apply bronze powder blusher to cover the white cast.

Midday routine:
-Dove Beauty Bar.
-Apply Bioderma Sebium Pore refiner.
-L'Oreal Hydrafresh AquaGel.

Night routine:
-Dove Beauty Bar.
-Retin-A.

on 5/15/2012 5:22:00 PM

Pros:
-Great protection
-Good water resistance

Cons
-leaves a white cast
-difficult to spread and to work with: no matter how I apply it, I always end up with white streaks and small flakes on my face
- very difficult to re-apply
- after a couple of hours my skin looks very greasy (like I just rubbed oil all over it)
- comedogenic

Update 27/05/12: I tried again (this time only my forehead) and still gave me small whiteheads (I am very acne-prone).
Yes, it's lighter than Bioderma's sunscreens (they feel like a mask on my face)...but this does not feel light at all!

on 10/4/2011 4:21:00 PM

I remember searching Makeupalley for sunscreen recommendations for my combination skin a while ago, which led me to try Vichy Capital Soleil Micro fluid Mat spf 50. I was quite happy with that but it ran out this weekend during a heatwave and I was desperate for an easy replacement so I bought this. I forgot why I didn't choose to buy this the first time around......
Despite being stated that it's an emulsion and suitable for normal to combination skin with a matte finish and sebum regulating ingredients, I didn't find this at all. The product appears more of a cream, much thicker than an emulsion (Vichy's product is very liquid and easy to spread) and this does not finish matte on my skin even when it's clean and dry before applying. It remains sticky throughout the day and leaves a considerable white cast that makes me look like I'm ill! I do dust over this with mattifying powder but it does not last long. I find that the product is not what it promises, and therefore is considerably expensive for what it is when I can find another comparable product that performs much better (I couldn't get the Vichy as quickly as I needed as I have to order this online). HIghly recommend the Vichy to anyone with oily/combination skin - still can get a bit sticky but at least does finish fairly matte and is a much thinner consistency. And almost no white cast!