September 17, 2014 | 2136 users online

Eye Primer - Mavala - Eye Base

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2012 2:14:00 AM More reviews by alinva

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I always used Lumene shadow base, but the consultant offered Mavala this time. Will never buy again - maybe it helps for several hours, but at the end of the day it is the same as nothing was worn... Won't buy and won't offer anyone

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2005 5:46:00 PM More reviews by belle2216

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used this product several times now and I can honestly say that I'm completely underwhelmed by it. It's better than nothing (that's why it got 2 lippies)... but my e/s is creased within a few hours. I much prefer my MAC Bare Canvas paint.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2005 9:41:00 PM More reviews by lovelyliisa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Normally this product is pretty pricey for the amount you get, but when I saw it on sale at my local SDM for four bucks I snatched it up. I;m kind of on the fence about it though. It applies smoothly and does help shadow last longer on my oily lids. It doesn't give me all day wear though and I experienced a tiny bit of creasing, but nothing a little blotting couldn't fix. I'm not totally loving it though so I don't think I'd buy again. I'm sure there are better eye makeup bases out there.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/1/2003 11:08:00 PM More reviews by atshai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I would say this product works ONLY if you had not put any eye cream before applying the Eye Base. I found that when I apply it solely, it does trap eyeshadow pigments and make them lasts longer. Do not try to mix it with any eye cream since it will create creases. The price is not that cheap considering it's a small tube.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2002 11:17:00 PM More reviews by elaina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This isn't cheap, about $15 CDN, but since L'Oreal De-Crease is nowhere to be found here, I thought I'd give it a shot. It claims to "maintain the skin's elasticity" and "stop make-up [from] sliding into wrinkles." Additionally, it's supposed to "help eye make-up last longer and accentuate the brightness of the shades." It comes in a small squeeze tube. You rub it onto the eyelids and let it absorb before applying your eye makeup. (It does not contain any fragrance or colouring, which is good.)

Did the product perform? It's hard to say. It's sort of awkward rubbing this onto your eyelids, because it doesn't spread very smoothly, as it's sort of thick. One wonders if one is actually causing more damage to the eye area with all this pulling and rubbing, instead of working to "protect the delicate skin of the eye contour," as the package insert says. After a bit of experimentation, I find the Eye Base to work better if I apply it to bare skin, don't rub it in too much, and don't set it with any foundation or powder. I do think the colour goes on more evenly and brightly (in a good way) with this as a base, but I don't know that any foundation/powder base wouldn't do the same thing. I did still notice some creasing at the end of the day, but not as much as before. And my eyeshadow stayed on somewhat longer than before. Still, I'm not completely sold on this. I will use it up, but I don't think I'll repurchase. continued >>