April 20, 2014 | 1409 users online

Polishes - MAC - Abalone Shell

rated 2 of 5 on 4/25/2010 1:51:00 AM More reviews by wandabee

My mom bought this polish for her and I to share. Any time she's tried it, it's been streaky and truly unnatural looking. After giving it a go myself, I can see why she's had so many difficulties! The application looks good MAYBE after three coats, and even then, it can appear patchy. The packaging is fairly decent; although the cap is a BIT cumbersome, it's not overly hard to handle. The brush is fairly good too; what really holds this polish back is the consistency of the polish itself!

In addition, the color is kind of interesting, but looks somewhat... wrong with my skin tone. Never before have I encountered a nude that's made me go "eech?" (Question mark included!)

Not impressed with this foray into MAC polishes! I'm really more of an OPI girl, all the way!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 2:06:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

I'm on a nude manicure kick currently, and I swiped the last of these at my MAC counter when I heard it might just be the perfect nude. I was amused in that the nail polish bottle looks like a miniature foundation bottle, not too far from my NC25 coloring. While I like it enough, I'm not jumping over tables for this; it's not quite the holy grail I'd thought it would be. Good thing, too, as it was a limited edition.

First, the formula. I don't have an extensive MAC nail polish collection, but of the ones I've had, with the exception of Overlaquer, the formula has left me wanting. Abalone Shell isn't unlike my other experiences; it goes on streaky and somewhat thick, making application is a nuisance. I'm getting better at applying, especially on my right hand, but man, this stuff can be trying. I reach opacity with this color after three coats, but after three coats, I'm also just about reaching lunacy. When you have ten minutes to yourself a day, you'd hate to waste all ten minutes applying, removing, and reapplying nude polish - it's supposed to be easier than color, after all!

So on to the color, then. The color's quite nice. I'm hoping the reviewer below me is right, and that this will soon be duped. For now I've not yet found anything really that similar. As I mentioned it's quite nice; it's a soft nude that against my golden NC25 skin has a very, very slight peach undertone. No gray in this for me. My nails look very elegant and clean.

So, no, not my HG nude, and wouldn't purchase again even if it was made permanent. While there are no exact color dupes that I know of yet, I'm willing to sacrifice this color for one that's slightly different and boasts a better formula.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2010 9:43:00 PM More reviews by sushiomelette

This color came out with the Spring Colour 4 Forecast (the amber collection). It's a nice nude color, kinda taupe-y. Comes out as a cream with a shiny finish. Dried fast, hasn't chipped yet (2nd day). An all right color, I'm sure it'l dupable.