November 28, 2014 | 1252 users online

Makeup Brushes - Sigma - F80 Flat Top Synthetic Kabuki (was SS197)

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2014 4:18:00 AM More reviews by mka87

Urgh. I SO wanted to love this, but unfortunately I just didn't. I'm not sure whether it was the foundation formulation or the brush itself but both in conjunction really highlighted my dry patches (which is unusual as I have combo/oily skin). As the day wore on, the dryness disappeared somewhat - likely because I have a reasonably oily t-zone, but this isn't ideal when you look like 'Flakey McFlakerson' after using the product first thing in the morning. I also found that, come 5pm (end of my working day) my foundation was rather patchy on my nose which is a problem I have never encountered when using a beauty blender-type sponge (my usual method). Strange.

On a positive note - regardless of the dryness and patchiness, the brush allowed for a truly airbrushed finish which you have to give it credit for. I actually enjoyed using it until the dry patches came through. I also *love* the design and look of the brush, nothing colourful or cheap-looking (Sorry, Real Techniques) but instead what I would describe as 'monochrome chicness'. Lovely. For an everyday look, I still prefer a damp beauty-blender sponge. For a heavier look, I go to my standard paddle brush. It all depends on the coverage I am aiming for. That said however, I'm going to keep working with the F80 brush because it was reasonably expensive and I'm *determined* to find a way to get it to work for me personally.

**See review on the Real Techniques Buffing Brush to back up this post - both brushes have similarities on liquid foundation application. More in-depth analysis there**

rated 1 of 5 on 11/8/2014 3:50:00 PM More reviews by moddy1988

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought the F80 flat top kabuki brush and I noticed that the bristles are starting to fall out but only a few actually do. It no longer looks flat it's the shape of a bowl when you look at the brush. I'm very disappointed with my purchase because I've bought drugstore brand brushes at a cheaper price and this hasn't happened to them. This brush should be better quality for the price I paid!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2014 4:47:00 AM More reviews by CatherineElizabeth90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

As has it's name, the brushes have recently been edited and improved upon so I wouldn't let any of the older more negative change your opinion of this brush. It's handle have been improved upon considerably and synthetic bristles are amazing. It is also surprisingly easy to clean any excess makeup off. Exceptional quality for price. Would pay at least double for this brush than I already do. Of all my favourite products, this is the one I love the most.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2014 10:36:00 AM More reviews by zee140

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i love love love love this.. it is kind of pricey yes.. but its going to last forever n its very high quality.. it doesn't leave any strokes its gives an airbrush effect.. its so soft and its just perfect. works mostly on liquid foundations

rated 3 of 5 on 10/20/2014 3:16:00 PM More reviews by ambercriedwolf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like the F80, I really do. I like the price and how good it was good at applying my makeup but today, after no more than six months of use, mine fell apart. I was in the middle of washing it when it suddenly started shedding like crazy, little hairs popping out here and there. I thought, "oh well, they all shed, no big deal," and as I was rinsing the brush out, the head of bristles completely fell off of the brush into my sink. So disappointing. This is the first brush i've ever had that's completely fallen apart, except for an ELF eye shadow brush.
Would I buy again? yes. But only after i shop around to make sure there isn't anything better for around the same price.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2014 4:05:00 AM More reviews by Arinabee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

AMAZING brush for foundation. I have both the round top and flat and before i got them i thought i was enjoy the round top more but i was wrong. I definitely reach for the f80 much more. It has soft, dense bristles and just applies foundation like a dream.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2014 11:40:00 AM More reviews by MegE

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The F80 Flat Kabuki was my first Sigma brush and sadly, it's my last. After having it less than a year, with daily use and proper cleansing, the entire brush head detached from the ferrule while washing it one morning. I was horrified. This has NEVER happened with any of my brushes! Strange as this sounds, this brush was a game changer for me. It improved the look and wear of my foundation and the F80 was a joy to use everyday...I looked forward to it! I've read stories that Sigma brushes aren't the best quality, shed, and eventually fall apart, but I couldn't imagine it would happen to MY beloved F80! And yes, it was shedding after I had it for ~6 months, but I ignored this little inconvenience because I loved it so much. Never again, Sigma!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2014 5:08:00 PM More reviews by PlanetAmour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I use this brush all the time. It's great for foundation! It's really nice quality, I have owned it for 2 years with no problems at all. I would definitely replace if it is lost and like it more than my MAC brush!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2014 4:57:00 PM More reviews by blairXwitch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my second Sigma brush, and I only bought it because I had bought the domed one first and it's my HG, so I wanted to have this flat one as well.
I bought it on eBay, so in all fairness it may be a fake, although after emailing the seller she kept insisting they were approved distributors of Sigma. It's definitely made in a different place than my domed one, assumingly China? It doesn't say "USA" on its handle after the name, like the domed one does.

So on to the brush, the bristles are not as dense as I had heard, or as dense as the domed brush, and they feel too soft and flimsy. I feel like they don't really have the power to push the foundation into the skin, it just kind of sits on top. While the domed brush gives me airbrushed effortless coverage, this one needs lots of work to buff the foundation in seamlessly, and I feel like the foundation stays tacky.

The worst part though is that it sheds terribly. I always have to pick hairs off my face, which is gross, inconvenient and ruins the whole experience. And my vanity is covered in hairs too. I haven't washed it yet, but I wonder what's going to be left of this brush after washing.

Too bad, since the other brush I have from Sigma is my HG, I had totally expected to love this one too.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2014 6:29:00 AM More reviews by Steelhead242

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Best brush ever.... Blends effortlessly, I'd be lost without it! Easy to clean, takes 24 hrs to dry. Worth every dime, I paid $24 for it and have bought a few as gifts for my friends!!