L'Oreal Brass Banisher

3.3

This product does contain a low-level of peroxide.

on 3/29/2015 1:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

this is an awesome toner! I use it regularly to keep my colour looking nice, and I found I visit the hairdresser a lot less and end up saving a lot of money. I do find, however that I need to keep it on for longer than the recommended time, 30-40 minutes does the trick

on 2/5/2015 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

OMG this is a great product! Was freaked out after using Feria light to med Blonde hair color, used it all thru my hair yesterday and it was awful my hair was brassy and red and I was desperate to find something to fix this disaster! After some research found this product at Walmart and just used it on my hair and it looks so much better its actually the color I wanted to begin with. So worth the $$ I will buy another box just to have on hand. I left it on for longer 30 minutes like other users said to do and it came out perfect :)

on 1/23/2015 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

After reading reviews,, I was a bit nervous as most of the reviewers had colored or processed hair. I am a natural blonde and was worried it would not 'take''. Well I left it on for just over 10 minutes and BAM! all golden/brassiness was out. My hair was a bit darker - more ash tones and not all one color as I feared, but the yellow was gone and there were still some natural highlights/lowlights. I will definitely use this again, I feel my hair looks more natural and the conditioner is fantastic.

on 12/9/2014 1:11:00 PM

I didn't do much for the yellowness, but it removes some of the orange/gold, so it was not a complete loss. I left it for 10 minutes, i should have waited at least 20.
My hair is between a level 8 and 9 with highlights (frost and glow for blondes) and blonde permanent dye (L'Oreal les blondissimes extra light ash blonde), lots of brassy tones from lightening, and my natural color is a dark ash blonde. Overall, not very impressed. I will buy the Wella T14 and a 20 developer next time...I read awesome reviews about the T14 and T18.

After bleaching my hair and it fading to am orange brassy color I re bleached it using kyldocolors purple bleach and then toned it with wella T18 toner mad loved the outcome. But even with purple shampoo my very blonde hair was turning a little yellow. Enter brass banisher. I left it on for 20 min and just kept an eye on it to make sure it didn't go green or anything. I rinsed it out and didn't shampoo as the instructions say it's not needed, and WOW! Yes it's a little darker but it's much cooler, which is what I was looking for. I am so glad I took a chance on this stuff. I love it!

on 9/30/2014 7:56:00 PM

So I got bored the other day and did a bleach bath on my hair. It took my level 7 hair to an incredibly orange color. I went to the salon and they put full bright blonde highlights through my hair and toned the rest with a blue toner, but it still looked very very orange. I picked up brass banisher hoping to no longer look like a carrot. At least my hair before looked good in dim lighting. Now it looks horrendous in both daylight or dim light. It took my blonde down to a light brown orange color with green tints. I'm about to cry. I tried to do the right thing and went to a salon, but my hair just isn't turning out right at all, and now it's orange and green. It was healthy and now it feels dry and horrible. I hope hope hope this washes out soon.

My hair is white, it had gotten this ugly yellow cast on it from well water. I saw this product and thought why not give it a try. It is wonderful. it did just what it said it would do. I certainly will buy and use it again. Thank you L'OREAL.

so happy with the results! ! did exactly what it said it would.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

First off: I have lond dark brown naturally curly hair that I normally get professionally highlighted. I am saving $ so cutting back on the salon, my highlights are a warm golden/honey brown but over time lean quite orange.

This product costs $10 at Ulta (I looked all over for it and Ulta is the only place I could find it)

The formula is just like a regular box hair dye, you put on the gloves, mix developer with the toner, shake and apply. The product coats the hair with a white cream, so very easy to see if you saturated the right areas and no mess or drips, also this product left no color on my skin/clothes/sink. There is a slight smell, just like a regular box hair dye, so if that is a huge issue for you keep that in mind.

I read reviews and decided to leave this product on my hair for about 20 minutes, the box recommends 5-10. Honestly I could have done another 10 or 20.

Overall I am very happy with the results. My color looks great, I would say it actually lightened up my hair, the orange/red brown is now more a cooler brown with lots of dimension.

The only thing I wish is that this product was a bit smaller, I only use about 1/2 a bottle and at $10 each I'm not gonna do this every month but it is still way cheaper than a salon.

I am excited to use this again in the future, for brunettes definately leave this on longer than 10 minutes.

I wouldnt say my brassiness is "banished" but most definately is reduced and the overall look/color is nice.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I recently used ColorFix to remove a dark brown-almost black with violet red highlights color job out of my hair. ColorFix is amazing but it almost always leaves one with a lot of brassiness, especially at the roots since it leaves you with the color that permanent hair color lifted your natural hair to. I have a lot of brassiness overall and it is especially brassy at the roots.

I remembered this product and picked it up at Meijer for $10. More than I wanted to pay for a toning product but I decided I would give it one shot and see if it did anything.

Application is like mixing and applying a regular box hair color. The instructions says leave on for 5 minutes or up to 10. After reading the reviews here I opted to leave it on for about 20 minutes since my hair is still brown with a lot of brassiness, I wasn't really afraid of it going overboard.

My hair is damaged and I really didn't like the idea of using another peroxide based formula on it to try to get out the brassiness so I decided this would be my one and only attempt to do so.

It is not like Ardell Un Red or Red Gold Color Corrector with a deep base to couteract reds and golds so while it was on I kind of wondered if it was doing anything at all. I got a little nervous because it seemed like my roots were getting a bit more lighter and yellowish looking while it was on. I rinsed it from my hair, shampooed, used the accompanying conditioner, rinsed again and towel dried my hair. Upon exiting the shower I immediately checked my roots, alas... they were still showing signs of brassiness. Initial thought: I wasted my time and money.

One blow dried I was able to see the full extent of what this product did and didn't do. Overall I would say it toned down the brassiness in my hair 40-50%. While not acceptable I suppose it is better than nothing. I actually do think it managed to lighten my hair a little bit which surely didn't help in counteracting the brass issue, due to the peroxide base I'm assuming, this product is indeed probably much much better suited for blondes. My hair is a bit more even overall without the need to add a permanent dye over top which is what I was hoping to avoid but I think I could have had better or similar results using a conditioning treatment with some Ardell UnRed or Red Gold Corrector in it. It was probably completely unnecessary to use a chemical process to attempt to achieve what I wanted to do and what this actually did.

It is quite interesting that so many people have different experiences with this product. That is one of the reasons I tried it in spite of the reviews because it seems that it is a product that will work for other people and do absolutey nothing or worse for others. It's kind of impossible to know if this will suit your needs without giving it a try although I have a feeling it will work better for blondes wishing to remove yellowish tones from their hair the best.