October 21, 2014 | 1946 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Brass Banisher

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2014 12:14:00 PM More reviews by britsnpieces909

After bleaching my hair and it fading to am orange brassy color I re bleached it using kyldocolors purple bleach and then toned it with wella T18 toner mad loved the outcome. But even with purple shampoo my very blonde hair was turning a little yellow. Enter brass banisher. I left it on for 20 min and just kept an eye on it to make sure it didn't go green or anything. I rinsed it out and didn't shampoo as the instructions say it's not needed, and WOW! Yes it's a little darker but it's much cooler, which is what I was looking for. I am so glad I took a chance on this stuff. I love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/30/2014 7:56:00 PM More reviews by ellejay1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I got bored the other day and did a bleach bath on my hair. It took my level 7 hair to an incredibly orange color. I went to the salon and they put full bright blonde highlights through my hair and toned the rest with a blue toner, but it still looked very very orange. I picked up brass banisher hoping to no longer look like a carrot. At least my hair before looked good in dim lighting. Now it looks horrendous in both daylight or dim light. It took my blonde down to a light brown orange color with green tints. I'm about to cry. I tried to do the right thing and went to a salon, but my hair just isn't turning out right at all, and now it's orange and green. It was healthy and now it feels dry and horrible. I hope hope hope this washes out soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by SassyPants4Ever

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My hair is white, it had gotten this ugly yellow cast on it from well water. I saw this product and thought why not give it a try. It is wonderful. it did just what it said it would do. I certainly will buy and use it again. Thank you L'OREAL.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2014 9:27:00 AM More reviews by sundevilblonde

so happy with the results! ! did exactly what it said it would.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2014 9:24:00 PM More reviews by misscynthia06

First off: I have lond dark brown naturally curly hair that I normally get professionally highlighted. I am saving $ so cutting back on the salon, my highlights are a warm golden/honey brown but over time lean quite orange.

This product costs $10 at Ulta (I looked all over for it and Ulta is the only place I could find it)

The formula is just like a regular box hair dye, you put on the gloves, mix developer with the toner, shake and apply. The product coats the hair with a white cream, so very easy to see if you saturated the right areas and no mess or drips, also this product left no color on my skin/clothes/sink. There is a slight smell, just like a regular box hair dye, so if that is a huge issue for you keep that in mind.

I read reviews and decided to leave this product on my hair for about 20 minutes, the box recommends 5-10. Honestly I could have done another 10 or 20.

Overall I am very happy with the results. My color looks great, I would say it actually lightened up my hair, the orange/red brown is now more a cooler brown with lots of dimension.

The only thing I wish is that this product was a bit smaller, I only use about 1/2 a bottle and at $10 each I'm not gonna do this every month but it is still way cheaper than a salon.

I am excited to use this again in the future, for brunettes definately leave this on longer than 10 minutes.

I wouldnt say my brassiness is "banished" but most definately is reduced and the overall look/color is nice.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2014 4:19:00 PM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I recently used ColorFix to remove a dark brown-almost black with violet red highlights color job out of my hair. ColorFix is amazing but it almost always leaves one with a lot of brassiness, especially at the roots since it leaves you with the color that permanent hair color lifted your natural hair to. I have a lot of brassiness overall and it is especially brassy at the roots.

I remembered this product and picked it up at Meijer for $10. More than I wanted to pay for a toning product but I decided I would give it one shot and see if it did anything.

Application is like mixing and applying a regular box hair color. The instructions says leave on for 5 minutes or up to 10. After reading the reviews here I opted to leave it on for about 20 minutes since my hair is still brown with a lot of brassiness, I wasn't really afraid of it going overboard.

My hair is damaged and I really didn't like the idea of using another peroxide based formula on it to try to get out the brassiness so I decided this would be my one and only attempt to do so.

It is not like Ardell Un Red or Red Gold Color Corrector with a deep base to couteract reds and golds so while it was on I kind of wondered if it was doing anything at all. I got a little nervous because it seemed like my roots were getting a bit more lighter and yellowish looking while it was on. I rinsed it from my hair, shampooed, used the accompanying conditioner, rinsed again and towel dried my hair. Upon exiting the shower I immediately checked my roots, alas... they were still showing signs of brassiness. Initial thought: I wasted my time and money.

One blow dried I was able to see the full extent of what this product did and didn't do. Overall I would say it toned down the brassiness in my hair 40-50%. While not acceptable I suppose it is better than nothing. I actually do think it managed to lighten my hair a little bit which surely didn't help in counteracting the brass issue, due to the peroxide base I'm assuming, this product is indeed probably much much better suited for blondes. My hair is a bit more even overall without the need to add a permanent dye over top which is what I was hoping to avoid but I think I could have had better or similar results using a conditioning treatment with some Ardell UnRed or Red Gold Corrector in it. It was probably completely unnecessary to use a chemical process to attempt to achieve what I wanted to do and what this actually did.

It is quite interesting that so many people have different experiences with this product. That is one of the reasons I tried it in spite of the reviews because it seems that it is a product that will work for other people and do absolutey nothing or worse for others. It's kind of impossible to know if this will suit your needs without giving it a try although I have a feeling it will work better for blondes wishing to remove yellowish tones from their hair the best.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by katiecat12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been coloring my hair for years, both at home and at the stylist. While my stylist gives me the best results for what I'm looking for (a pure, brass free blond), the time and torture in the chair (for foil, toner, etc.) plus price (over $300) make me prefer a trip to the dentist over a trip to the salon.
I've been using a lightest ash blonde at home, and with some sunshine, the results have been good - A nice spectrum of blond shades with highlights. My stylist has even been surprised at how good it's looked.
My hair is naturally medium brown with a lot of red. Without the sun, that red is really hard to break through, so usually this time of year, I head to the salon to drop a ton of money.
I decided to try Brass Banisher because of the reviews, and because it seems to be a hot seller at the store.
The price is more than reasonable. The smell is way better than the toner at the salon. It's gentle. I used it the day after coloring and with conditioner, my dry, naturally curly hair felt and looked soft and healthy.
The only reason I don't love this product is the color results. It does help tame some of the brass, but it also darkened my hair. It seems to have lifted the color in some ways, but the blue/purpleish tones have taken me to more of a regular ash blond as opposed to the bright blond seen on the box. I don't have as much depth of color, so the results are not as natural looking. Its more of a box blond look at the moment.
I left the product on for about 20 minutes. In the future, I will leave it on longer as other reviewers have to see what the results are. It's certainly gentle enough to try. For now, I'm waiting to see how things look when I've shampooed out the blue. Hopefully it doesn't take too long!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by rosieoberry

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just used this on my hair, and while I was skeptical due to other reviews, I'm incredibly satisfied with the results.

Before applying, my hair was a bright orange/salmon colour. I left the product on for probably about 40 minutes, and now my hair is Monroe-blonde, if not incredibly close.

Unlike Colour Oops, this stuff smells great as well, which is a plus. It doesn't seem to have fried my hair more than it already is, and the deep conditioner has made my hair nice and shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2013 10:31:00 AM More reviews by terebina786

I never, ever write reviews but I felt this required one. My hair is naturally black (very, very dark brown Indian hair) and I wanted ombre hair so I went to my hairdresser and she did a mixture of browns and some reds to create a caramel ombre like the pic I showed her. My hair was lightened, then she applied the colour which came out a tad too light, so she applied one more go round and I liked it... UNTIL the next day when it was rough and looked REALLY red and brassy and dry looking - nothing like I wanted.

I couldn't get back to her for 3 days so I picked up Brass Banisher from Shoppers. Ombre was done on Thursday, I used this on Sunday. I LOVED the results. It blended all the ombre into my natural hair colour, made my hair shiny and took ALL the brass out so its the perfect dark caramel colour I asked for! The box says leave on for a max 10 minutes, I left it on for 25 because my hair is darker. Worked perfect for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2013 7:46:00 AM More reviews by WhiteCareBear

I had my medium brown hair highlighted light blonde with a medium/dark blonde base color a couple weeks ago. The blonde highlights were bright but brassy yellow and the darker base was pretty much orangy light brown, especially at the roots. I gave it a couple weeks to settle but felt like carrot top!

In comes L'Oreal Brass Banisher. Unfortunately It removed the nice brightness from my hair color (the only positive thing I had going), leaving it a slightly more uniform (not the desired effect) mousier/darker version of orangy base and yellow highlights, and giving me dried out locks to add insult to injury. :-(

As for the conditioner, I know people rave about it but it's not any better or worse than any good professional conditioner out there...

Hopefully it works like any ol' toner and washes out within the next couple weeks.