September 19, 2014 | 931 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Brass Banisher

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by SassyPants4Ever

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My hair is white, it had gotten this ugly yellow cast on it from well water. I saw this product and thought why not give it a try. It is wonderful. it did just what it said it would do. I certainly will buy and use it again. Thank you L'OREAL.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2014 9:27:00 AM More reviews by sundevilblonde

so happy with the results! ! did exactly what it said it would.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2014 9:24:00 PM More reviews by misscynthia06

First off: I have lond dark brown naturally curly hair that I normally get professionally highlighted. I am saving $ so cutting back on the salon, my highlights are a warm golden/honey brown but over time lean quite orange.

This product costs $10 at Ulta (I looked all over for it and Ulta is the only place I could find it)

The formula is just like a regular box hair dye, you put on the gloves, mix developer with the toner, shake and apply. The product coats the hair with a white cream, so very easy to see if you saturated the right areas and no mess or drips, also this product left no color on my skin/clothes/sink. There is a slight smell, just like a regular box hair dye, so if that is a huge issue for you keep that in mind.

I read reviews and decided to leave this product on my hair for about 20 minutes, the box recommends 5-10. Honestly I could have done another 10 or 20.

Overall I am very happy with the results. My color looks great, I would say it actually lightened up my hair, the orange/red brown is now more a cooler brown with lots of dimension.

The only thing I wish is that this product was a bit smaller, I only use about 1/2 a bottle and at $10 each I'm not gonna do this every month but it is still way cheaper than a salon.

I am excited to use this again in the future, for brunettes definately leave this on longer than 10 minutes.

I wouldnt say my brassiness is "banished" but most definately is reduced and the overall look/color is nice.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2014 4:19:00 PM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I recently used ColorFix to remove a dark brown-almost black with violet red highlights color job out of my hair. ColorFix is amazing but it almost always leaves one with a lot of brassiness, especially at the roots since it leaves you with the color that permanent hair color lifted your natural hair to. I have a lot of brassiness overall and it is especially brassy at the roots.

I remembered this product and picked it up at Meijer for $10. More than I wanted to pay for a toning product but I decided I would give it one shot and see if it did anything.

Application is like mixing and applying a regular box hair color. The instructions says leave on for 5 minutes or up to 10. After reading the reviews here I opted to leave it on for about 20 minutes since my hair is still brown with a lot of brassiness, I wasn't really afraid of it going overboard.

My hair is damaged and I really didn't like the idea of using another peroxide based formula on it to try to get out the brassiness so I decided this would be my one and only attempt to do so.

It is not like Ardell Un Red or Red Gold Color Corrector with a deep base to couteract reds and golds so while it was on I kind of wondered if it was doing anything at all. I got a little nervous because it seemed like my roots were getting a bit more lighter and yellowish looking while it was on. I rinsed it from my hair, shampooed, used the accompanying conditioner, rinsed again and towel dried my hair. Upon exiting the shower I immediately checked my roots, alas... they were still showing signs of brassiness. Initial thought: I wasted my time and money.

One blow dried I was able to see the full extent of what this product did and didn't do. Overall I would say it toned down the brassiness in my hair 40-50%. While not acceptable I suppose it is better than nothing. I actually do think it managed to lighten my hair a little bit which surely didn't help in counteracting the brass issue, due to the peroxide base I'm assuming, this product is indeed probably much much better suited for blondes. My hair is a bit more even overall without the need to add a permanent dye over top which is what I was hoping to avoid but I think I could have had better or similar results using a conditioning treatment with some Ardell UnRed or Red Gold Corrector in it. It was probably completely unnecessary to use a chemical process to attempt to achieve what I wanted to do and what this actually did.

It is quite interesting that so many people have different experiences with this product. That is one of the reasons I tried it in spite of the reviews because it seems that it is a product that will work for other people and do absolutey nothing or worse for others. It's kind of impossible to know if this will suit your needs without giving it a try although I have a feeling it will work better for blondes wishing to remove yellowish tones from their hair the best.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by katiecat12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been coloring my hair for years, both at home and at the stylist. While my stylist gives me the best results for what I'm looking for (a pure, brass free blond), the time and torture in the chair (for foil, toner, etc.) plus price (over $300) make me prefer a trip to the dentist over a trip to the salon.
I've been using a lightest ash blonde at home, and with some sunshine, the results have been good - A nice spectrum of blond shades with highlights. My stylist has even been surprised at how good it's looked.
My hair is naturally medium brown with a lot of red. Without the sun, that red is really hard to break through, so usually this time of year, I head to the salon to drop a ton of money.
I decided to try Brass Banisher because of the reviews, and because it seems to be a hot seller at the store.
The price is more than reasonable. The smell is way better than the toner at the salon. It's gentle. I used it the day after coloring and with conditioner, my dry, naturally curly hair felt and looked soft and healthy.
The only reason I don't love this product is the color results. It does help tame some of the brass, but it also darkened my hair. It seems to have lifted the color in some ways, but the blue/purpleish tones have taken me to more of a regular ash blond as opposed to the bright blond seen on the box. I don't have as much depth of color, so the results are not as natural looking. Its more of a box blond look at the moment.
I left the product on for about 20 minutes. In the future, I will leave it on longer as other reviewers have to see what the results are. It's certainly gentle enough to try. For now, I'm waiting to see how things look when I've shampooed out the blue. Hopefully it doesn't take too long!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by rosieoberry

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just used this on my hair, and while I was skeptical due to other reviews, I'm incredibly satisfied with the results.

Before applying, my hair was a bright orange/salmon colour. I left the product on for probably about 40 minutes, and now my hair is Monroe-blonde, if not incredibly close.

Unlike Colour Oops, this stuff smells great as well, which is a plus. It doesn't seem to have fried my hair more than it already is, and the deep conditioner has made my hair nice and shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2013 10:31:00 AM More reviews by terebina786

I never, ever write reviews but I felt this required one. My hair is naturally black (very, very dark brown Indian hair) and I wanted ombre hair so I went to my hairdresser and she did a mixture of browns and some reds to create a caramel ombre like the pic I showed her. My hair was lightened, then she applied the colour which came out a tad too light, so she applied one more go round and I liked it... UNTIL the next day when it was rough and looked REALLY red and brassy and dry looking - nothing like I wanted.

I couldn't get back to her for 3 days so I picked up Brass Banisher from Shoppers. Ombre was done on Thursday, I used this on Sunday. I LOVED the results. It blended all the ombre into my natural hair colour, made my hair shiny and took ALL the brass out so its the perfect dark caramel colour I asked for! The box says leave on for a max 10 minutes, I left it on for 25 because my hair is darker. Worked perfect for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2013 7:46:00 AM More reviews by WhiteCareBear

I had my medium brown hair highlighted light blonde with a medium/dark blonde base color a couple weeks ago. The blonde highlights were bright but brassy yellow and the darker base was pretty much orangy light brown, especially at the roots. I gave it a couple weeks to settle but felt like carrot top!

In comes L'Oreal Brass Banisher. Unfortunately It removed the nice brightness from my hair color (the only positive thing I had going), leaving it a slightly more uniform (not the desired effect) mousier/darker version of orangy base and yellow highlights, and giving me dried out locks to add insult to injury. :-(

As for the conditioner, I know people rave about it but it's not any better or worse than any good professional conditioner out there...

Hopefully it works like any ol' toner and washes out within the next couple weeks.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/8/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by Yuna4554

I tried this to get rid of the orange in my hair, and it did absolutely nothing, it smelled and was a complete waste of money. I would not recommend this to anyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by ElizaW

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm a new reviewer at MUA. Seemed every time I googled beauty products looking for reviews, MUA always pulled in results, but of course unless your a member you can only view the first page of reviews. I finally decided that I really needed to join, glad I did.

My hair is 70% gray and I stopped coloring years ago to let it grow out to see what I had to work with. My hair is more silver than gray and I decided to get highlights at the salon. After spending 110.00 (including tip) I wasn't keen on the results. I specifically asked that the highlights be silver and of course like so many others, I came out with yellow highlights. My stylist was at a loss as to what to do. Tried a second time with the same results so I started using a brand that I bought at wallmart (L'Oreal Frost and Glow Platinum). For around $10.00 (maybe less) I got the same results as the $110.00 salon trip. But the same yellow would occur at the crown.

With the good reviews for the Brass Banisher I thought why not give it try. I had just highlighted my hair the day before. I applied as directed and left it on for the 10 minutes.

The results were good but there are still a couple of areas (on the crown area) that are still holding onto the yellow. I'm sure my shampoo can take care of that. Overall I am pleased with the product though next time I may leave it in a bit longer or apply it to the crown first and wait the 10 minutes or so before putting through the rest of the hair. The condition was great and my hair is super soft and really shiny.

At least I found something that does work to a degree and it's price is reasonable verses the salon. It's far better than what my hairdresser could do as she was mystified as to what to do to correct the yellowing.