April 17, 2014 | 1800 users online

Pressed Powders - Revlon - PhotoReady Powder - Fair/Light

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2013 11:44:00 PM More reviews by 4nonymousaurus

You're walking on eggshells, Revlon. I literally just got done writing a review on your "reformulated" colorstay foundation. I looked up reviews on this powder to see if anyone else had the same horrible results that I did, and it reminded me how much I hate the new revlon colorstay foundation formula.

Anyway, onto the photoready powder: I bought this quite a few months ago, and when I used it, I had terrible results. I stowed this atrocity away in my caboodle until just a week ago. I found it hiding the the darkest recesses of my makeup collection, totally forgetting why I stopped using it in the first place. I should have tossed it in the trash, but I decided I'd remind myself why I didn't like it to begin with.

Before I delve too deep in negativity on this product, I'd like to discuss the few good qualities I found it to have : It's coverage is alright, and the lightest shade is extremely pale to match my skin tone. That's all.

Negativity... BEGIN:

- SPARKLES. Freaking. Sparkles. WHO THOUGHT IT'D BE A GOOD IDEA TO ADD SPARKLES TO THIS POWDER. If I wanted my face to be sparkly, I'd get glitter and smear it on my face. I should have expected sparkles, judging from the photoready liquid foundation, so I won't complain much more about it, and I won't give a bad review based on such a trivial thing. Besides, when done right, slight shimmer added in a face product can look gorgeous!

- I noticed this powder applied in terribly cakey patches when I used my powder brush, so I tried using a sponge applicator to put it on. It fixed the patchiness, but not the cakiness! Ugh.

- It seeped into creases on my face I didn't even know I HAD. I looked like a cakey, wrinkly mess after I applied this. I'm 21. NOT 40--the age I looked after applying this powder. I looked so OLD and gross with this on.

- This powder only kept my combination skin oil-free for 2 hours tops. But that's okay, I don't think this product ever claimed to keep me shine-free.

- When I tried to reapply to the oily bits of my face, it looked even cakier than it did initially! So awful! Also, this powder made my foundation crease around my nose in a weird way that it has never done before. The powder is so cakey, I can't even correct around my nose with concealer or it merges with it and makes a strange putty patch.

Even after encountering all these problems, I STILL tried giving the product a chance. I thought that maybe it was my foundation that was causing the powder to act up like this. So, I dedicated this entire week to trying the revlon photoready powder with EVERY foundation I own. Same results. Every time.

And here I sit--cakey, oily face and all--after a 7th day of an embarrasingly-nasty-face for 9 hours at work. This powder sucks, and I hate it. With a passion. I gave this powder several chances--maybe too many--to prove itself a decent product. It failed every time.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by Xxcassx

I was so excited to buy this. I saw lots of youtubers say it's a good powder. I paid $21 for it which isn't worth it. It's good for a few hours then it looks cakey

rated 2 of 5 on 10/13/2013 4:29:00 PM More reviews by sailornibiru

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was really disappointing for the price. I like the packaging and the brush, although, I usually use my own brush anyway. The powder itself is cakey and settles into fine lines. I'm only 25 and I feel like I look older wearing it. The coverage is alright but it's definitely apparent you're wearing powder. It's very sparkly as well. I wish I'd read reviews before buying it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by Ambam032

This seems to be one of the better drugstore pressed powders that I've tried in recent years. I mainly use it to set my makeup around my eyes. I like that it isn't really chalky. It has a more natural finish. The packaging is pretty cheap, the hinge broke within a few weeks. The brush is a throw-away.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 10:29:00 AM More reviews by Muriel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I loved the finish and the shade was great for me...but something in this caused my skin to feel 'itchy'. Bummer.
Just as well as I've been on the fence with Revlon lately - they can't seem to give me a straight-forward answer on their animal-testing policy and I've decided to forgo all Revlon products due to that.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2013 11:56:00 AM More reviews by BeautifulConverse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like this product. I'm not saying its a miracle product, but it gets the job done. I usually only wear a light/medium coverage powder and concealer in places where I need coverage because I hate the feeling of wearing foundation everyday. My skin isn't perfect but isn't horrible either. I have redness, the occasional pimples, and I usually get cakey around my nose area because that's where most of my redness is. I use this to lightly even out my complexion, it works fairly well. Although there is shimmer, its not detectable on the skin. When I wear glasses, it makes my nose feel oily after a few hours. As for the color match, it matches fairly well. In the winter, I'm as white as it gets to be honest, so finding a light enough powder for me can be hard. It's pretty pricey for a drugstore powder and I've used better drugstore powders for a cheaper price. The packaging isn't bad, the little brush that comes with it is so useless but I use my own brush anyway. I don't think I'd repurchase this but it isn't a bad product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2013 5:14:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Excellent portable setting powder. I can't see the shimmers when I use this on over a traditional foundation so I don't have a problem with any shine. I have dry skin and this sets whatever makeup I'm using whether that be a traditional liquid or cream foundation or just my sunscreen plus it adds just a bit of coverage. I do not use this over the Photoready liquid foundation that I have because that would then be double duty of shimmers and I have seen that effect and I don't like it. The finish reminds me of the Guerlain Meteorite balls in Mythic that I used up a couple of years ago. This is a fraction of that cost and just as effective in my opinion. I don't carry this with me as a touch up powder so I can't really attest to its use for that. Simple, cheap and effective for the dry skinned ladies as a setting powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2013 9:27:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Revlon's PHOTOREADY powder seems to melt seamlessly into my skin, with a colour that matches my fair skintone. The powder applies evenly, and it is easy to build up the product for a light/medium natural looking coverage; the finished look is mostly matt, but it still seems to have a slight glow to it. The coverage is so good that I don't need foundation under this, just a little dab of concealer on any blemishes.

The PHOTOREADY powder is meant to contain the same reflective pigments that the foundation does, but, unlike the foundation, I can't see any hints of the 'sparkle'. PHOTOREADY powder feels so lightweight; I feel like I'm not wearing any make up. I do have very dry and sensitive skin, but I've not experienced any dry patches or caking, I've also not experienced that tightness and itchy feeling, which a lot of other products have given me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2013 1:49:00 PM More reviews by joanieisverynice

I like this powder very much. I dust some lightly over my liquid foundation to set it and take away the shine, which is what I believe it was meant for. in this respect it works beautifully. I can't even tell I am wearing powder, it feels so light and looks so translucent. there is a little sparkle in the pan, but it is nowhere near as "glittery" or chunky as other reviewers have claimed. it's just a very slight shimmer, and honestly it doesn't even show up on my skin. it just gives me a matte, natural finish.
I don't understand why there is so much fierce negativity about this powder. I think the problem people have is that they either cake it on or are simply using too much. it is meant to finish off your foundation, it isn't meant to cover flaws and be ground into your skin. remember to use a light touch, and that less is always more when it comes to foundation/powder. if you are looking for something heavier, then this powder is not for you. but for a light, natural powder to take away shine and set your makeup, this is a wonderful product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 12:41:00 AM More reviews by SymmieC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love barely begins to describe my feelings about this product. I have exceedingly fair skin. There is no point in fighting it. I have litterally been asked by children if my skin glitters in the sun. In all seriousness though, the quest for good products on truly fair skin is a nightmare. I am lucky in the respect that I have a fairly "flawless" complextion. I am unlucky in the fact that it is balanced out by dark undereye circles which are genetic. So I have three options at the start of my day, sunglasses, full makeup, or spend the day recieving well wishes and hopes for my quick recovery from whatever illness is making me look aweful. So it is safe to assume that I have spent alot of money and time in the search for the perfect fair skin products. I finally stumbled across this little gem and I could not be happier. I use PR foundation in Vanilla (perfect match to my skin). I then use covergirl fresh complextion concealer (I have a long term relationship with that product). I use PR in fair/light to set it. This is the only combination of products I have used ever that completely matches my skin, provides flawless coverage, does not settle into fine lines, wears all day with no touch up, does not oxidate (turn orange). I love, love, love it. However the brush it comes with is aweful, don't even bother. I use a Kabuki brush. Though I do save the brush it comes with because I have found it works well to sweep away falldown from applying eyeshadow! Works great for that purpose actually! The product does have a light sparkle however I hardly ever notice it, there is no way it is even close to "glitter". I will be honest though I don't think this is a good choice for people who have very oily or acne prone skin as it does nothing to control oil, nor does it provide good coverage for acne. Other then that it is awesome, and stays true to color which is hard to find in fair makeup! :) I stock up with this like the apocolypse is coming. <3 it and will use it until they stop making it.