December 20, 2014 | 1621 users online

Mascara - Essence - Black Mania Carbon Black Volume Mascara

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2011 10:52:00 PM More reviews by roseroach

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is good mascara. It has a good brush and long wand. Good price for 3 buck at H.E.B. But at the end of the day my lashes werent as full when i first applied it.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2011 1:12:00 PM More reviews by ana7mac

Not a good mascara, in my opinion. The product doesn't stick well on the lashes, and it falls all over my eye contour area. By the end of the day, it looks like I have terrible dark circles. Essence has much better mascaras.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2011 3:38:00 PM More reviews by J3zzica

READ ALL THE WAY THROUGH!! THANK YOU!!

Over all I really prefer this brand when it comes to mascaras. I've tried both the; Black Mania Carbon Black Volume Mascara and Maximum Definition Volume Mascara :)

First let me start off by saying; I LOVE THESE MASCARAS!! I have used both off and on for a few months now and I don't think I'll ever go back to anything else (other then just to try something new, you need a little excitement in your life)

THE REVIEW:

1.) The packaging is pretty awesome! Every mascara has a different name, color, shape of wand, formula, texture and size.
a.) The Black Mania Carbon Black Volume Mascara is soft black with shinny silver scribbles on it (very bold)
b.) The Maximum Definition Volume Mascara is an electric orange with sharp black detailing (really wild)

2.) They both worked pretty expressively! PLUS given the fact they are more on the cheap side, not only will you never run out but they do what they clam!! What a concept right? :)

Although the Black Mania Carbon Black Volume Mascara didn't make my lashes look thinker (NO fly legs), the formula was light weight and held a curl beautifully leaving my lashes looking like falsies (which I LOVE)

The Maximum Definition Volume Mascara didn't give my lashes much volume, but it did however give them strong length! (without the spider leg effect) This isn't the blackest formula but it is alot more so then most, and it separates so wonderfully giving my lashes a fan like appearance.

I WOULD SUGGEST THIS MASCARA for so many reasons!! :)

- They didn't clump my lashes
- Didn't leave a mess or give me too much product
- Doesn't dry out
- VERY cheap, but reliable
- Holds a curl nicely
- Doesn't flake
- Isn't too sensitive to moist weather and isn't hard to take off (warm water)
- LOVE the unique packaging

WHEN USED TOGETHER = PERFECT MASCARA HANDS DOWN!!

Thank You.

- J3zzica

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by ROFLsmacker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Very basic mascara. It didn't do any volume, but my lashes were actually a little bit lengthened and very black indeed. The brush could actually dispose mascara onto my bottom lashes, which is kind of a miracle for me to find. It did smudge, though. As it wasn't very dramatic, and my eyes are the place on my face I like to draw most attention, I wouldn't buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2011 8:23:00 AM More reviews by iramasson

It has a very thin formula so it doesn't thicken the lashes at all but it does make them look longer. It also doesn't clump at all and never falls out on me. The colour is very rich and black. I would say it is a good daily mascara for me when I dont need too much drama. The price is great.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2011 6:23:00 PM More reviews by TipTopTap

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This mascara is better than the Multi effect one, but still not remarkable. It's a little more expensive but a lot less gloppy. However, it's really only good for a natural look with a little length, no thickening whatsoever. It's really smudgy however, so I will not be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2011 2:23:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really love this stuff. This is my go-to mascara, to use every day. It's better than all that expensive and hyped-up stuff like Voluminous or Bourjois or whatever, and it's cheaper than anything. Ladies, all the reviews here aren't wrong. I love that the wand comes out without globs so you don't have to clean it off first. It isn't clumpy, makes my lashes noticeable which is so important when you have inexistent Asian lashes. I only use one coat because I'm lazy and always in a hurry, and just one coat makes these inexistent lashes look decent, so I can't imagine what 2, 3 or 4 coats could do for me! Maybe I won't ever buy another brand of mascara again, all other brands were so disappointing compared to this one. Although on the other hand I always get bored using the same products all the time.........

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2011 12:55:00 PM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

I agree with the user who said that these mascaras aren't sealed; it made me a little leery of buying the product. I honestly opened up a tube slightly to make sure that there weren't any smudges around the opening before I bought it. I feel that the company could add a little something for sanitary measures, even if it's just a little sticker tab between the cap and tube. Thus, I gave a low rating for the packaging.

Anyway, I can say that I LOVE this mascara. Even more so than the cult-favorite L'Oreal Voluminous. While the packaging is lacking in the sanitation area, the best part of the packaging is its narrow opening. Because of it, you don't end up with too much mascara on the wand and you don't really have to wipe it off on a towel. The brush is also very dense, and it coats each lash easily. The mascara did well in lengthening, volumizing, and separating my lashes while adding a nice dark black coat. The end result isn't the most dramatic I've seen, but also not entirely subtle...just somewhere in between. Amazing stuff for $3!

EDIT:
Bumping this down to a four. I always apply my mascara before curling my lashes. With this one, I noticed that the mascara would come off in the areas that I curled them. The end result looks like an uneven coating of mascara; the base of my lashes would end up with no product at all. I'm sure other people won't notice it, but it's easily a pet peeve for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2010 10:26:00 AM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

First, the reason I put a 1 for the packaging quality is because none of this brand's mascaras come wrapped/sealed. For sanitary reasons, this skeeves me out a bit. But, I wanted to try this. I also want to try the other Volumizing Mania one that has a silver cap and a huge brush - kinda reminds me of DiorShow.

The hype around this is largely due to the low price - at $3, you can take a little gamble on this. I find that it does a good job of volumizing, lengthening, and separating. I would love something to add curl, but am having a tough time finding the perfect thing.

The color is a dark black, but not the darkest I've ever seen in a mascara.

I can't speak to the flaking or smudging, yet. But so far, I do like the effect that the mascara gives my lashes.

No funky scents here, either - I'm always very sensitive to the scent that mascaras give off.

I purchased this at ULTA. To my knowledge, that is the only place you can purchase them (I could be wrong - check out their website!).

EDIT: It does transfer/smudge from my top lashes to my undereye area. :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2010 11:00:00 AM More reviews by barnycat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

You've got to be kidding, right?! $2.99 for mascara that works? Self confessed product junkie, particularly mascara. My all time HG is YSL Faux Cils, but I've tried everything. I cannot get over the length and volume this provided without looking clumpy or weird. It gave length and that "feathery" look. Lush, feathery and natural. For a three bucks, try it, how can you go wrong? Buying extras, just in case,