As a sufferer of hyper pigmentation, I thought I would try this product after hearing so many positive things about it. The lady who served me at the Clinique counter pointed out that even though I was 24 (and live in the UK) my skin was somehow suffering from sun damage and this product would help to repair my skin.
I was recommended to use the product once in the morning alongside SPF sun cream and once before I go to bed. After working my way through 2 bottles, I was amazed with the results. My sun damaged patches seemed to reduce and become less obvious and dark spot scarring on my face appeared to fade. I think the key is that you need to use a high SPF during the day with this product in order for it to work effectively.
I have since stopped using this product as I can't afford it at a pricey £42 for 30ml. However, I haven't noticed any regression in terms of dark spots returning so I would say that the product does work well for me. If I had the money I would definitely continue to use it.
I have dark acne prone skin, and i decieded to buy this based on the what it said it dies on the website. I have never been a clinique fan, but since i was looking to get rid of post acne marks i made the decision to purchase. I used up 2 bottles but no change. Even added the cleansing bar and the clarifying lotion. I do not know if this works well for dark skin, but it did nothing for me. The only good thing is that it didnt break me out.
Being reluctant (stupid to be accurate) to use UV filters while sunbathing, left me with terrible dark brown patches on my cheeks and forehead. After reading 100's of reviews of different products I decided to go with Clinique Even Better Dark Spot Corrector. The leaflet states that one 30ml bottle will provide 6 weeks of treatment. It lasted me 6 months used 2 a day for the first 3 and then only once in the morning followed by the spf40 cream from the same range (which BTW is just awesome). So I did not see any improvement for the first 2 months and I started feeling rather disappointed but decided to use the rest of the product before starting another search for sth that would actually work. But then, I started noticing a slight improvement and eventually, 3 months later I realised all of the discolouration was completely gone. I wish I have taken pictures at the beginning of the treatment to show you how bad the discolouration was and how my skin looks now. Clinique consultants all say you must use this for a while to see improvements and at first I thought it is simply to make people buy more and more of this stuff but this actually is a key to get the desired results. They also say that most of people dump this serum when they don't see any change in 6 weeks and that is what I was about to do. Thanks God I didn't. Give it a go and don't forget about using high SPF after.
I've been using this product for a while because of acne scars and let me tell you it does work! The most important thing you can do before using this product is to read the instructions in the packaging!!! It's crucial to use a facial sunscreen that is at least SPF 30. Before following with foundation or it will not work as well.
This product really does work for me! I started seeing results within a week or 2 of using it. It's faded most of my dark spots and has made my skin feel smoother. I use this in conjunction with cliniques 3 step system (oily/oily combination). I use as instructed, 2 pumps twice a day
It was good for sensitive skin but I didn't notice a difference with lightening any pigmentation.
I'll preface this review by saying that this is my first review on MUA and there is a reason why. I bought this serum in hopes of getting rid of my very pigmented dark spots/hyperpigmentation post-acne. Then I searched reviews for it, to see how others use it and of course, their thoughts on the product itself. I know, it should have probably been the other way around, research first then buy the product, but I was out shopping with my mom and it was kind of a spontaneous splurge moment.
Anyway, I was disappointed in the reviews I've read about this product, not only on here but also on the other websites that carry this item. I think it's either a big hit or a big miss for people. For me, it was a big hit! Allow me to explain why (in no particular order):
1. The packaging is great. There is a pump which everyone seems to love, because it's sanitary. One pump allows the perfect amount for the whole face, but since I only have scarring on my cheeks, I don't pump all the way, just enough to cover both of my cheeks and I rub the remaining on my forehead, chin, etc.
2. There is no chemical smell, or any foul smells in general. The consistency is thin and extremely soothing on the skin. If it didn't lighten my scars, I'm sure I would have still given it at least 3 stars for how soft it has made my skin over time. I love how light the formula is, I can wear it even under makeup which is great.
3. It didn't break me out whatsoever. Now I don't have sensitive skin, but I am prone to acne. And those acne marks always leave a dark spot, even if I don't pick at it!
4. IT WORKS. It actually lightened my scars, some of the smaller/lighter ones are completely gone. I was amazed, I didn't really expect much but I started seeing results within at least a month. At first I wasn't too consistent, because I got this on vacation, but after coming back home I applied this product religiously day and night, ALWAYS with sunscreen during the day and moisturizer for day/night. It's important to use sunscreen! (in case anyone was wondering, I use La Roche-Posay Sunscreen Milk SPF 45; it's really light so it goes well with the serum especially under makeup.) You probably will see minimal to no results if you don't use sunscreen with this product.
5. I can use this daily. I am impatient and like to see quick results. With other products like Nadinola, I can't use it daily because of the 3% hydroquinone which is the strongest OTC skin lightening and it can also turn your skin permanently grey if you use it too much. Even though Nadinola also works, it gave my skin a while to get used to the product unlike Even Better. And ladies and gents, strongest % doesn't always mean the most effective! Since my skin isn't sensitive I've tried harsh products like undiluted apple cider vinegar to lighten my scars and the most effective product has been the Clinique Even Better, even though it's the most soothing/least harsh spot reducer I've used.
6. I don't have to spot treat, it won't lighten the pigment of my skin but rather just the scars which is pretty incredible. To bring up Nadinola again, I only have to spot treat with that because I read that it can bleach the skin around the scars if you are not spot treating with that product. Sometimes I apply Even Better all over my cheeks then spot treat with Nadinola on the darker spots. This combo has never been too harsh for my skin.
To further describe my skin care routine:
MORNING- Exfoliate, then pat dry. apply Even Better serum on problem areas, then remaining product elsewhere. Wait for it to seep into my skin for about 5-10 minutes. Then pat sunscreen all over face (pat, not rub. Patting ensures that the serum doesn't move around too much and I've noticed that rubbing creates little flakes sometimes), then wait 5-10 minutes for moisturizer (you can rub this in, but don't massage too hard). after that I wait at least 15 minutes to start applying makeup.
NIGHT- Wash off makeup with foam cleanser, then exfoliate. Pat dry, then apply Even Better. Then massage in moisturizer, really massaging the face to get blood circulation going. Then sometimes I spot treat last with Nadinola fade cream.
Thanks for taking your time to read this long review! I really wanted to get my opinion out there in hopes to give hope to someone out there suffering from post-acne hyperpigmentation like I am. This product has definitely become a staple in my daily skin care routine. My scars have lightened drastically and whenever I'm ever "spot treating", I'm actually spot treating, whereas before I pretty much had to cover my whole cheek because I had so many visible scars.
I'm starting to love my skin again. I can now wear less makeup, and I get compliments all the time about the smoothness of my complexion. And I work at a skin care store! I finally feel like I have the youthful skin that I should have always had (I'm 19) because before, I had really dull, rough skin that just did not look very flattering. Thank you Clinique!
I tried using this product and frankly I have to say it really didn't work after a couple of weeks, I still had dry skin not to mention the acne and dull complexion that I've been so eager to get rid of! I think the promises these brands make are so convincing that you get duped into spending loads of money for next to nothing. Anyways I have to say I'm using something completely difference for my skin now as I've been looking it up, my friend has been using this product biocorrex for her acne and she noticed real changes in the texture of her skin. I saw it at first but was a little bit expensive, but honestly this stuff has made my skin look smooth and my spots have gone down! Also the dark circles under my eyes have disappear, and can't believe the results! I think it takes time to find products that work for skin, but I suppose these things are trial and error. I don't think I'll be changing my skincare regime anytime soon now I'm using something else!
This product is the holy grail of dark spot fading products. Ever since I started getting acne, my problem was always over pigmentation. I tried a few products like proactive's dark spot corrector, but it simply does not compare to this one.. I just wish it weren't so pricy or else I would buy it again. It definitely does fade dark spots and the makeup that goes further in fading the dark spots is AMAZING also. I'm not sure how long it took until I started seeing results, but I guess I noticed when I realized I could use less and less makeup. It's an awesome feeling when you're not ashamed of your skin tone and your real skin tone shows..
I have uneven skin mostly in the form of redness and acne scarring. I bought this after reading positive reviews online, but after using the product until it ran out (took over a month) I noticed basically no improvement in my skin tone.
The texture is lovely and smooth, gliding on the skin and leaving it feeling silky and smooth. However this was about the only benefit. I won't be buying it again.