April 24, 2014 | 2053 users online

Eye Shadow - Alison Raffaele - Soft Shadow (all)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2010 11:13:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

I got three of these, Taupe, Butter and Moonlight. First off, the casing is beautiful and amazingly elaborate. The eyeshadow comes in a flat, round, metallic purple metal case with some Celtic-style relief on top. When you open it up (for some reason, this is a little difficult sometimes if you just put on lotion or have slippery hands), there's a small mirror and a large, circular swatch of eyeshadow. I love pulling these little beauties out of my makeup bag, they're so much prettier (casing-wise) than any of my other eyeshadows.

TAUPE - It's a light toffee color that makes for a fantastic all-over-your-lid wash, especially if you want to look pretty awithout the "I'm wearing lots of makeup" sort of look. This shadow is well pigmented but not overly so, so it's very easy to blend and you can create a very natural, faintly smokey look.

MOONLIGHT - It's kind of a shimmery ivory color, but it's not very pigmented so you can use it as a natural looking highlighter as well. I don't use this shadow too much because I tend to favor my matte shadows, but it's still quite pretty.

BUTTER - This is a matte, creamy yellow color. Since I'm Asian (very beige), this eyeshadow disappears entirely on my lid and makes for a very nice base. I can't get it to do anything beyond that since it matches my skin tone THAT well, but it does neutralize the annoying redness I have around my eyes in the morning. However, because it is more of a soft yellow color, I don't think this would look very good on fair or very dark skin. I'd recommend it for people with olive or beige skin.

I do have to nitpick about the 'buttery' aspect of the eyeshadow (or rather, how it's marketed) since I find these shadows to be silky and powdery. In comparison, LORAC eyeshadows tend to have more of a 'buttery' feel and are (slightly) more pigmented.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2010 3:36:00 PM More reviews by Sarasotagirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

These shadows are "soft" in both senses of the word: The pigmentation is subtle and they are among the most buttery -- but also among the most crumbly -- shadows I've tried. Try these only if you're looking for very subtle looks and don't feel you have the skills or time for serious blending.

I bought six of these during HauteLook's sale for less than $5 each, particularly nice because they're the 36 mm pan size like Ulta or Chantecaille shadows:
Bittersweet: Not a dark chocolate, but a near-black with an undertone that is almost blue-green
Warm Grey: A matte putty color, more gray than tan.
Taupe: A medium matte warm brown, akin to Bobbi Brown Taupe.
Butter: A matte yellow ochre, more golden even than MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre. Really warm-toned.
Blossom: A peach pink with very subtle shimmer. My second favorite.
Moonlight: A neutral champagne color with very subtle shimmer. My favorite.

The shimmer colors are very subtle, like some of Chantecaille's shadows, so they're friendly to mature or crepey eyelids. The pigmentation is also, as I said, subtle, which means that these are washes or crease colors you barely need to blend -- it's just about impossible to get a dark, defined line with any except maybe Bittersweet.

But here's my biggest disappointment: These broke and crumbled during depotting more than any brand I've come near. The pans themselves are easy to get out of the pots with alcohol or mild heating with a flat iron. That isn't the issue. But shifting or prying or otherwise pushing on the pan cracked the three colors I did depot before I quit. I was able to re-press Butter with some success; Moonlight keeps re-cracking.

And yet another downside: These are scented rose, strongly enough that they gave me a headache. It took many days of leaving the shadows open before the scent dissipated enough that I could use them.

This might all be moot; Alison Raffaele's products are getting harder to find, so I have no idea what the plans for the company or these shadows are. If you can get these at a good price, want subtle shadows and don't intend to depot, they're very lovely in texture. But if you're looking for matte colors in the 36mm pans, try La Femme ($3) or Ben Nye (~ $6) first. And if you're looking for elegant shimmers, look to Chantecaille pans ($21 for pan only) or LORAC (the standard MAC size, but only $5 on clearance on LORAC's website). I think you'll be happier overall.