July 24, 2014 | 1231 users online

Top/Base Coats - European Secrets - Rock Top Coat

rated 2 of 5 on 6/18/2014 5:35:00 PM More reviews by Koolkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Bottom Line: It never cured for me. I tried it with different base coats and different brands of nail polish, thick and thin layers. And chipped pretty quickly.

I had given up on nail polish years ago because I had no patience for drying or chipping. Fast forward about five years and there is so much more out there. I read such amazing things about Rock Top Coat and that it was HG for many people. I will say that I have a history of top coats and all in one polishes not curing, no matter how I apply it. SH Complete Salon Manicures will never ever cure for me, for example.

It became smudge proof within minutes (but not as quick as other quick dry brands) but was dentable well into the night. I tried my UV lamp, different polished, etc. I did not get sheet marks the next day so that's a big plus. Within 24 hours it hardened considerably but I could easily scrap it off with a fingernail, it wasn't rock hard like some other top coats (essie). It chipped within 24 hours as well. It is also such a thin formula it didn't leave my nails very glossy.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2014 8:55:00 AM More reviews by PolishedSalon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hm. I was so excited to buy this. At the local Sally Supply in Canada is was about $8 (so not that cheap). I finally did my manicure yesterday and I'm a little disappointed.
I used Revlon Color Stay base (my all time favourite since it came out) and Rescue Beauty Lounge polish in Catherine (I don't use RBL much). First of all I found RBL slow drying, so maybe that's one of the issues but I applied 2 full coats like I usually do with all polishes (my fav is Vinylux) and after 2 minutes I applied Rock Top Coat and Vinylux Top Coat, every second nail for a better test.
I dried the nails under UV for 4 minutes and the Rock Top Coat nails were still dent-able.
I went out for dinner later and an 1 to 1:30 later I smudged the ends a little- ONLY 3 of the nails I used Rock Top Coat on. I managed to smooth them out but they still look like they have a tip wear :(
Bummer!
I will report back how the polish wears.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2013 11:12:00 PM More reviews by ebaker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I dont even know how a bottle of this got to my hands by my Sache had ran out and the found this one along with the others i have (OPI, China glaze, etc) OMG!!this top coat is wonderful, i went the next day to sallys and got another one on sale. Ill actually go back and get more.. IT goes on easily and dries faster than sache.. I abosolutely love this and recommend it...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by clandestineyou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

HG topcoat!!! It looks like shellac nails when it has dried. And such long lasting power as well! I just love, love, love this TC. Will never stray from it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 1:33:00 AM More reviews by naurlind

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Just bought it @Sally's a few weeks ago because it was on sale and HOLY MOTHER OF CAKE it is awesome. I like this TC better than my OPI and my Seche, it is completely amazing. I wore it for 8 days before my nails started chipping and for me that is a process. I work in a theme park and I have to take down chains, clean and take out trash frequently. I also wash dishes by hand at home so for this to power through the week I am very happy with it. Definitely recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 2:09:00 AM More reviews by michee3333

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I am very active and have trouble keeping my polish looking decent. This goes on easily, dries fast and helps my polish stay put. Love it so far will do a follow up in a few days.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2012 5:44:00 AM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I generally don't use this on freshly painted nails. I do cure it with a UV light, when I did not I noticed little stress marks. I have been using the gelish mini uv light... but now I have a new 45 watt uv light that I am excited to try with this top coat.
I usually use seche on freshly painted nails and then do Rock over it a couple days later... I LOVE the shine with Rock. It is sooo much shinier than seche ... ok it's shinier than any other TC I have used honestly.
This is the best top coat to use with glitters makes them so pretty and sparkle like crazy. I've noticed subtle shimmers and glass flecks in polishes just gleaming. Now that I have the high watt uv light I will have to test it on it's own without using seche first.
I have it over ChG Knotty right now and the shimmers in this polish are so pretty.
This is not as thick as seche so it does not hide imperfections like seche does but the upside with this is it does work over dried manis and does not get thick like seche does.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2011 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Glitterpink

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Ok so I've tried loads of top coats, from Sally Hansen to seche vite but rock top coat beats them all! It's formula is ultra glossy, fixes smudges, and keeps from chipping even at the tips (I work as a vet tech, wrestling dogs causes a lot of wear!). I have only found this in store at a bed bath and beyond and need to stock up I love it so much.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2011 3:13:00 AM More reviews by maryamaz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The only top coat I'll use. I don't feel like this technically qualifies as quick-dry. It is dry to the touch within a few minutes, but your polish will be very vulnerable to bumps and scratches. I usually do my nails an hour before bedtime, by which time my nails are dry enough not to get marks from my sheets, and when I wake up my nails are hard as... a rock? I do think that sunshine helps further harden the top coat.

I'm very active and use my hands a lot, and I get at least four days without chipping or tip-wear (this is a miracle). The shine is good and has decent staying power. Doesn't get thick and goopy over time!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2010 9:56:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I haven't used this very much (already have many other brands & this 1 is new for me) but the couple of times I've used it so far I really like it.

It dries very fast, leaves my nails harder & best of all very durably shiny - the glossy shine is tough & it lasts, it doesn't scratch up easily or dull quickly like a number of other topcoats I've tried.

It costs about $7-$8 @ Sally's & other websites, but it was worth trying. Seche Vite (approx same price) was a disappointment in the shrinkage dept (other than that it's perfection in a bottle, despite containing toluene). Rock is much better (though I will continue to mix it up & use other topcoats as well). I think Rock does shrink just a little bit, but extremely minimally, not at all as obviously as Seche Vite does.

Would certainly repurchase this topcoat again. (I also bought European Secrets Rock Hard hardener but have yet to really test it out.)

UPDT 2/7/12 -
I forgot about this topcoat for a long time - I just had it sitting in a box w/my other seldom-used bottles. Last night I used it as a refresher to shine up my dulled manicure (since SV can't be used as a refresher) - the shine, the brilliance & the hardness are magnificent! Why did I ever stop using this topcoat?? (...I think it was the very thin consistency & the strong odor that I really didn't like.) But now I really love this product & will use/buy again. It hasn't even evaporated or thickened at all in the last 1.5 yrs in storage! Good stuff.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No