July 22, 2014 | 2063 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock spf 70

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 7:02:00 AM More reviews by dora9213

this is amazing!! its not greasy at all!! and i use it before my makeup .just no problem. i got it from a supermarket and only about $9 ! i think i will repurchase it!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2014 5:05:00 PM More reviews by HWL

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is what it says it is-ultra sheer and light. It has no white cast. I ran this through the BASF sunscreen simulator and it got a PPD of 9 and it has some antioxidants, which is great, it's about as effective a chemical sunscreen as you get in the US. This is the lightest sunscreen I have ever tired. You can't feel it or see it. It's great under makeup. It does have a light summery fragrance, that does not fade. I took a point off for that and the Retinyl Palmitate and oxybenzone. However, it does not have alcohol and has ascorbic acid.

I am dry/combo skin, but can break out, especially from mineral spfs. This felt drying, but I expected that with Ultra Sheer. I used Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer, which helped. It didn't add enough moisture, but the combo was compatible and it did not make this ball up or flake. It feels tight as I am used to spf moisturizers, but I got this to be less greasy, so I take nothing off for that. I do prefer the feel of Coppertone Oil Free Faces SPF 30 (PPD 7) which is unscented and less drying, though still very light. But this is less shiny and has a matte finish and more spf.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 11:49:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

I have had backups of this saved just in case it was discontinued....and I can't believe I ever went away from using it! I have been trying sunscreens from different brands forgetting that this was the original one and also my favorite.

Out of curiosity I ran this through the BASF Sunscreen Simulator and it has a pretty good PPD of 11 (Japanese PA+++) compared to my current fave Estee Lauder Daywear SPF50 which has a PPD of about a 7 or 8.

Without a doubt this is the best sunscreen that I have ever bought. For years I have been searching for a high SPF sunscreen for my face which was light and didn't leave me a greasy mess. This is that product. I apply this after washing my face (no other products on top, no moisturizer or anything like that) and after 10 minutes it has completely sunk into my skin leaving a perfect base for makeup.

I bought this for about $12 from Target and I have already stocked up on several backups in case this is discontinued. Living in Florida and being very fair I need a high SPF and this does the job perfectly. My skin is dry on the cheeks and forehead but oily on my nose and this sunscreen does not leave my face looking shiny. Highly recommended.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 4:11:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I deleted my old review of this stuff because after 2 years they have apparently reformulated it---I would update the ingredients to reflect this but at this point, the only new ingredient list I can find online is at Neutrogena's site and it's not copyable. It seems to have more antioxidants now or perhaps just a higher concentration of them. To be more specific, ascorbic acid is now listed as the 3rd ingredient rather than the 3rd to last (or whatever it was before), but unfortunately, I think this stuff feels just as bad on my skin as before--maybe even worse. It still makes my skin itch throughout the day--like I'll keep finding that I'm trying to scrape my nails against my face even though, due to years of acne, I am one of those people who NEVER touches their face!

In my old review I also stated that I felt like this stuff actually ages my skin and I gotta say, more antioxidants or not, I still feel like it does this! I am no chemist nor do I aspire to be one, but I would honestly question whether this stuff was actually stable or not cause it seems like every time I buy a bottle (seriously, I've tried to use this crap so many times!) the first couple times I try it, it doesn't seem so bad; just drying, but after a week or two (even if i haven't worn it every day) I always start to feel like it's damaging my skin. At this point not only did it seem to highlight every flaw when I put makeup over it (no matter what kind of moisturizer I tried to wear it with) but it makes my skin all inflamed and dry--and if I smile, I can see all these horrible wrinkles and crinkles everywhere and that's just NOT how my skin normally looks! I honestly feel like if I used it every day I'd probably gain permanent wrinkles from it. I have combo skin and use good am and pm moisturizers btw, so it's not like I was trying to wear this alone.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2013 5:52:00 PM More reviews by cboylove

I like it sometimes, I have to use it alone or else it balls up with moisturizers. Alone it dries to a matte finish if I use it over a moisturizer it leaves a greasy finish if it doesn't ball up. It makes a good makeup base since it last so long. I never burn or tan while wearing this. I'd give this a 3.5 if I could.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 10:47:00 PM More reviews by MoodySunshine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this stuff! Its so light and not at all greasy. It completely disappears underneath your foundation. I'm very fair skinned so I burn extremely easy, and this stuff keeps me from getting burnt while I still have nice looking makeup! I personally would suggest this to anyone looking for a makeup friendly sunblock. :)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by indiekicks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't know what it is about this stuff, but it irritates the HELL out of my eyes every time I've tried it. I end up having to wash off all the makeup around my eyes to rinse them out and they'll still be burning. Like, an hour later once I'm outside my eye is still irritated... wtf? I'd say my eyes are somewhat sensitive since they tend to tear up like crazy when trying to apply lashes and sometimes eyeliner, but they've never reacted this negatively to a product. Oh, and it made me greasy too.

I'm going to move on to try Japanese sunscreens like I had originally planned to. I've heard they've got the "invisible fluid consistency" game on-lock, and hopefully they won't try to murder my eyes!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by monkeyr159

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's not the worst sunscreen for the face, but no where near the best.
I have really oily skin and have heard some great things about this sunscreen, so I thought I'd go ahead and try it.
Claims to be oil free, have a weightless liquid formula, and layer invisibly under makeup. While it is oil free, it gave my face a really oily/greay effect right after I applied it. I thought it'd "evaporate" or dry to a matte finish, but 10 minutes later I still had a greasy face :( I continued to put on my foundation, concealer, powder like normal and noticed 2 hours later my face was a grease-ball and normally with the products I use I can go about 4-5 hours before getting oily. So... I'm not impressed, and won't be using this under makeup.
Also I couldn't stand the smell. I use the regular Ultra Sheer sunscreen for my body and that scent doesn't bother me that much, but this one had a super sunscreen-y smell that just wouldn't go away. Plus it's kind of expensive at $12 plus tax; I'd rather wait for when CVS has a good sale on the "La Roche Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid" which I love!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by carrie79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great sunscreen - disappears under makeup and feels nice and light. The package makes it easy to appy and to use it all up. I've had a lot of trouble with other sunscreens, including several from Neutrogena, being too thick and not working with my foundation/bb cream. This soaks in super fast, though I do take a few minutes to get dressed before applying bb cream. All in all, fantastic product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Livn2large

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I hate sunscreen (or rather, my skin hates sunscreen). I have adult acne, rosacea, atopic dermatitis and am hypersensitive to many skincare ingredients. I have trouble finding any products to use, let alone sun protection. And yet, I work outdoors some of the day, so sun protection is a must. And my hair never met a hat it could tolerate.

I've tried dozens of sunscreens, physical and chemical, all of which have left me with some kind of reaction -- from severe dermatitis to large, painful cysts. Yet I continue to try new ones in hopes that I can find that magic formula that will be the ONE. Enter Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock SPF 70. I actually bought this one for my husband, but in a fit of experimentation one day, I used it myself. To my complete surprise, at the end of the day, I didn't have a face full of zits or red irritation bumps. I wore it again the next day. One or two little irritation bumps, but nothing more. Over weeks, I continued to apply it (not every day), and my results remained consistent. My skin isn't crazy about avobenzone-based sunscreens (they do sting a little on application and my eyes so react for a while), but overall this one is a winner.

This liquid IS ultra sheer. It's a light as a feather. After application, there's only a slight sheen. Makeup or other face products apply like a dream over it. The real downside is that it's not water or sweat-proof, so reapplication is a must.

This chemical sunscreen does contain oxybenzone, which I would prefer not to use for health reasons. However, by wearing it I'm getting some protection which I thought I'd never find. So, you'll have to pry this sunscreen from my cold, dead hands before I'll give this one up.