April 24, 2014 | 1843 users online

Crème - Merle Norman - Luxiva Ultra Foundation with HC-12

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by purpldy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

At first, I was a little iffy on the formula of this one. This is almost as creamy
and moist as Clinique's Supermoisture, without the glitter. I was a little worried, as
although Supermoisture saved my super dry, sensitive skin last year, I have got my
sensitive and dry problems under control to the point I needed a new foundation. I'm
actually more combination now, thank the gawds for a good change in my skincare routine!
Hence my trip to my local Merle Norman for a new foundation that didn't use chemical
sunscreens nor a lot of alcohol in the formula as both make my skin go a bit crazy.
I met the lovely owner, she suggested I was a dry combination, not oily combination and
that this formula should work nicely for me as it doesn't have any chemical sunscreen,
and only titanium dioxide. This one does not have an SPF rating, but it does provide
some SPF protection, just do not rely on it for your sole sunscreen.
If applied right after your SPF or moisturizer, you will get a dewy foundation, light to
medium coverage, good for dry to normal skin. So I liked it, great color match with
"Ivory" for my VERY pink NW20 skin, but a little too much like the Clinique Supermoisture
I was using - meaning too dewy for my more "normal" skin. Tried it again with a silicone
Vit. C based moisturizer (kind of like Smashbox) and it was very very nice! A little dewy
and moist, but not shiny at all. My final test was with Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting
Touch. Another winner for me! The Clarins was nice and comfortable, not too oily, not
too dry, and only blotted my forehead once during the day.
In conclusion, I find this a true winner for me as I can wear it on weekends for some nice
moisture and even toned skin, use it for work and be polished but not a grease pit, and I can glam
it up with a heavier application and heavier primer and have perfect skin for special
events. Worse part of this product is the packaging. They should put it in a tube (just like they have for the testers at the stores). Price is mid range, around the price of Clinique or Shiseido, so a lower range Department Store. I always top with a dusting of powder, a loose mineral works well for me, heavier on oily areas, light on dry.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2011 5:02:00 PM More reviews by Peepsie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After reading reviews for this foundation, I went to Merle Norman. I asked if they had samples of the foundation. I was promptly told no. They offered a "mini" make over. I only wanted 1/2 my face done. The SA applied the concealer and then the foundation. SA applied it with a brush.

This foundation was thick. I was thinking it was because the SA applied it. I might be able to live with this foundation if I could do it myself.

When I left the store, I looked in the mirror and saw how it made the lines under my eyes DEEPER than they actually were. Coverage was very full. Four hours later, this foundation settled into every pore and line on my face.

This is why I wanted a sample- To see what it would look like at the end of the day. I am so thankful I did not purchase this foundation.
I will try another Merle Norman foundation. This one is not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by luvbeauty27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is not suppose to be for acne prone skin but most make for acne is awful and sometimes breaks me out worse .normally i use lancome make up which i still like but everytime i go to belk to buy it they are either rude or i wait forever and time is money if your about to drop 200 bucks that kinda makes you mad. Sorry ok first i bought merle norman aqua balance make up although it didnt break me out it was cakey and i have scaring not like a few red spots but pitted scars, not a good combo. So i tried this make up and i love it .It really smooths my skin out the older i get the worse my skin gets now some days its oily some days its dry.Dry and acne shouldnt be but they are.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2011 10:31:00 AM More reviews by kdenae88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this foundation a few years back in a small sample size from my aunt. I loved it! So when I used up that I got the normal size. I love the thickness of the foundation, and it lasts a while. Although I did have to use concealer.Course I was having trouble with my face breaking out then, and now I don't but I notice I no longer have to use concealer with a medium coverage foundation, so I would call this light coverage. If I happened to sweat that day it did seam to come off easily. I do not like the dewy finish of this. I did like it, but more recently I've tried other foundations with a matte finish that I like more as I do have oily skin and it keeps my skin looking less shiney. Not to say this made more oil but the dewey-ness did make my face look shiney so I'd say it would work great for those with dry skin. So it's not my favorite any more after learning what kind of make up is best for my particular skin, but all in all I would say this is a good product! If I did not have a problem with it making me look shiney I would keep using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2010 4:36:00 PM More reviews by MILFof3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was really surprised by this foundation. A merle norman opened across the street from my office so I wondered in. This foundation is hydrating, but lasts all day. It gives a dewy finish, but doesn't look sparkly. LOVE it.

I don't really like the packaging. I prefer foundations in a tube or with a pump. I just wash my hands really well before putting them in the jar.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2010 2:03:00 PM More reviews by akaamyg

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have searched and searched for the right foundation that is not too sheer, not too made up. After going back to MN (after being away for YEARS), I tried several different types before settling on this one. This one is pretty close to perfect, but...

First of all, this new "dewy" look is kind of tricky. On the one hand, yes, it makes you look younger. On the other hand, it can get rather shiny and look (at least to me) unappealing. That said, several of my girlfriends were raving about my complexion and asking what makeup I had on because they said I look young and glowing. As I am nearing 50, I must say I did enjoy hearing that! So maybe it's a matter of getting used to the slight shine.

Secondly, as I am menopausal I sweat for no reason at all. It can be 73 degrees with a fan blowing straight at me and I can burst into a hot flash with very little provocation. This makeup does camoflauge that "blush" that comes over me, but I find that by the end of the day my "T" zone (especially my nose and chin) have very little coverage at all. Maybe from sweat or whatnot. I read that the MN Primer was good for keeping the makeup on and as I am currently using EL Idealist as a primer thought to give that a try. I will get back with you on that after a little use.

Overall, I think this is a flattering foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2010 3:36:00 PM More reviews by elianegalle

This is the best foundation I've ever used. It has a matte finish that looks beautiful and lasts all day. It's also very easy to apply and have a tick texture, but goes on perfectly. For $25 dollars this is the best foundation when compared with department store brands. I will definitely buy FOREVER!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2010 3:14:00 AM More reviews by gmoskol

I have been using this product for over a year now. It is by far the best foundation I have found. I was using Mary Kay cream to powder foundation for several years before finding Merle Norman. This foundation matches my skin more closely than any other foundation I have tried. I cannot say it is a 100% perfect match but it is pretty darn close. This foundation does not make me break out, it wears nicely and blends well. It is a little pricey for me ($28.00) but I don't have to use a lot so it lasts me about 6 months. The only real drawbacks are that you cannot purchase Merle Norman online so you have to physically go to a Merle Norman store to buy it. If you make the trip to a Merle Norman store you will find that the employees are gracious, honest and they will give you plenty of samples to try before you buy. The last trip I made to buy my foundation I was given a travel size compact with Luxiva pressed powder, 3 packets of primer, 3 packets of tinted moisturizer and a small container of their loose powder (I tried some at the store and was not sure if I was going to buy it so the gal gave me some to take home to use). So, if you are willing to spend a little more money on foundation then give Merle Norman a shot. If the Luxiva foundation doesn't work for you then they do have other options.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2010 3:36:00 PM More reviews by slc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a really nice foundation for dry skin. I've been using Powder Base, but lately feel like even that starts to dry me out by the end of the day. This is a cool, creamy liquid in a jar and it goes on like silk. I rarely use foundation straight out of the container -- I like a natural look, so I blend it with my sunscreen to make it look like skin only better. This gives me a great look -- hydrated and dewey and really polished without looking like I'm wearing a mask.

If you're new to Merle Norman, note that all the foundations look a lot darker in the jar than they do on your skin. Just use a little bit and it will blend right in.