July 23, 2014 | 2064 users online

Skincare - Body - Coastal Scents - Unrefined Shea Butter

rated 1 of 5 on 2/22/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

I want to agree with others and rave about their Shea butter but honestly I can't. I have dry skin. I need something that is moisturizing. This wasn't it. I've tried various natural Shea butters from Muslim stores in my location, from Nasaab and other popular stores and now from this company. None of them did anything for my skin. They would go on, fuel all creamy and moisturizing for like 5 minutes then fade and leave behind my dry skin. It's bad enough that it smells awful but to not actually do anything too. I used it on my hair. Obviously it was going to touch my scalp. It made my scalp dry, flake and itch. Note that all of these versions I bought were the cream or greysish white Shea butter. This time though out of desperation cars no drug store lotion seemed to be doing jack for my winter extra dry skin I ventured into a black hair supply store and purchased a yellow Shea butter by Kuza. On the front of the tub it says Kuza %100 African Shea butter (chunky not the smooth version). Now THIS version didn't dry my skin out or clog my pores. It's creamier than the tan versions, smells milder and my skin loves it. So being curious as to why this version works for me and the others didn't I ran numerous web searches and discovered that this is either pure Shea butter with herbs/roots added to Give it a bright yellow color or it is from the nut of another tree called the African nut tree that produces a similar butter to Shea. Needless to say my Coastal Scents Shea was thrown away. If you have extra dry skin or acne prone then Coastal Scents, like the terribly fake scents they sell on their website, will not be for you. All Shea is not the same.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2012 9:39:00 PM More reviews by Chellachic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Amazing amazing product! Comes in a plastic bag but I put it into a glass container so it doesn't dry out.

Sooo moisturizing ! Healed my eczema that I've had persistently for three years !!! It moisturizes so well that if I have a dry patch on my skin the next morning the dry patch is gone !! It is extremely oily when you put it on and can be slightly difficult to use, but it is so worth it!!

I would only reccomend using this during the daytime! HG winter mosturizer !!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2012 2:06:00 PM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Really good quality shea butter. I bought a large brick of this stuff about 3 years ago, and have been using it ever since. I still have about half the brick left! I use it on my feet, the ends of my hair before shampooing, my lips, and wherever else I need moisturizing. It works great. You really only need the tiniest amount. My complaints are that the packaging is bad (just 2 plastic baggies), the stuff is just about impossible to spread without a lot of effort to warm it up, and it doesn't smell too great (kind of nutty or smokey). But I will still continue to use it for years to come. I have heard it makes a good eye cream and will try that next.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2012 11:37:00 PM More reviews by JadoreNelle

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love this! I have bought 3 lbs already. If you get chapped winter cheeks, apply this nightly. This is very healing and make your skin feel great. I went to an African store and ask for shea butter... they had some but it was in a food container with a black spot that seemed to be mold, it was also white as a sheet of paper. Shea butter should be off white or a light yellow. Never bright white or bright yellow. Coast Scents has the off white/light yellow shea and I will only buy my shea butter from them. It is so high quality. Smells slightly nutty, its nice and it fades after application. I could not be more pleased with the price. There is a high end skin care brand that sells a 2 oz tin of shea butter for $20.00! If your debating whether or not to get it... trust me and buy it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2012 1:36:00 AM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I kind of understand why some reviewers had a problem with this product. I'm glad I took the time to ask lots of questions on the Skin Board and watch the video on the Coastal Scent's website before purchasing.

The product is in its' mosr raw state, which from what I understand is unrefined. My 1 pound block came double-wrapped in heavy duty plastic. It was pale yellow in color and smelled nutty to my nose. It came as a solid "brick" that I cut into 6 even chunks with a sharp knife.

I mashed the chunks into a 16 ounce plastic jar (from a previous pound of shea butter that I'd just finished up. I was glad I saved it or I'd be dealing with a mess keeping it in the plastic. Anyway, I mashed it all in there and experimented with applying it on my arm.

I think the key is to keep the product in a warm area to help facilitate use. I swiped off about 1/4 teaspoon and just rubbed it between my palms. It liquidated almost immediately and I could rub it into my skin fairly easily.

I may try mixing this with a few drops of Jason's Vitamin E Oil, which I read on the web makes it even more nourishing and easier to spread. I expect the 1 pound to last me about a year, which makes it extremely economical @ $9.00 a pound.

If you are in a hurry to apply your creams and lotions, you may not like this. This is the only draw-back I can think of besides the wrapping. It's super thick, rich and all natural and my skin drinks it up like crazy. I will be so happy when winter comes and this is helping keep my skin protected and healthy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2012 12:41:00 PM More reviews by Kidlike

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I was pleasantly surprised with this product. at first I was unhappy about how difficult it was ti use. I mean the product is like hard butter and spreading it on your skin requires effort. BUT it is absorbed faster then most oils and it really works. my skin feels lovely after I use it and I did replace alot of products with just a chunk of this stuff.

it does wonders for both my feet, hand and cuticals (the last bit came from my manicureist, she insisted on getting the name of my hand cream because the change was so fast and VERY noticeable!)

I got this at around $8 for 1 Lb and it lasted me 4 months!!! the thing does everything all those expensive creams and lotions promise AND more.

my one advice would be to get a jar for it with an air sealing lid as it comes in a plastic zip bag. warm it up by rubbing it in your hands first before using it will go a long way to :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2010 5:31:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

I love this stuff. I agree with the previous post - this is NOT easy to spread, however its easier than the pure cocoa butter, which is completely solid. This is pretty soft so I can sort of pat/melt it into my skin. It feels wonderful on and although it is a little more greasy than the cocoa butter, it sinks in pretty well after a while...not like an oil that would just sit on top. As far as the packaging goes, I am ok with it...it is meant for people using it as a raw ingredient in their own cosmetics so it is sufficiently packed for a bulk product...double sealed in two ziplock bags. I will put it into an old jar for convenience. Overall, great product....I prefer the cocoa butter however I was able to use this on my face and the cocoa butter I couldnt at all (due to the lack of spreadability).

Edit:

I have since found a way to make it spread nicely...warm it up REALLY well in your hands first (takes a good minute or two) and then spread it wherever you want. I am currently using this as my main moisturizer, as it is the only thing that doesn't irritate my skin, and provides the rich moisture I need. I notice that with regular use, my skin is starting to "glow" :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2010 4:30:00 AM More reviews by KatieA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First I will start with the complaints.

1. packaging is just a plastic bag. I bought a jar to put it in.
2. it's very greasy. it gets all over my clothes, sheets, and washing machine. if I use a little, rub it in well, and wear a bathrobe for an hour or so, the problem isn't as bad.

Now to the good parts.

1. 5 POUNDS for about $40. Are you kidding?
2. My stretch marks, keratosis pilaris, dry skin, scars, and overall skin condition improved after about 4 months of consistent once daily use.
3. it can replace many products including body cream, eye cream, stretch mark/scar minimizer, lip balm, cuticle cream, and even hair conditioner.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2010 9:19:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Although I find this unrefined shea butter moisturizing and long-lasting (moisturizes me all day), it is a little hard to apply. Previously I bought unrefined shea butter from agbangakarite.com (see my review) and decided to try Coastal Scents because I had heard good things about it and it was cheaper. When I say it's hard to apply, I mean that it doesn't glide easily on the skin (even after softening between hands) and that makes it harder to spread. I even whipped it up with some jojoba oil and aloe vera gel and the slip that I'm used to with the shea butter from agbangakarite.com just isn't there.
Well, with all of that being said, it isn't a bad product. The color (ivory/cream) is right, the smell is not too strong (has a slightly smoky/nutty scent). It comes packaged in two plastic ziploc bags. I'd buy this as a 2nd choice (if the one from agbangakarite.com is unavailable).