December 21, 2014 | 1653 users online

Cleansers - Panoxyl 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Bar

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2014 11:15:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

I bought this on a whim for random breakouts. It is apparently hard to find, and I found it on the bottom shelf of a random K mart while traveling. I rarely get acne, but when I do I want something that works. I have normal to dry skin and have had no issues with dryness or sensitivity, but I also use a facial oil at night. Some people might feel like they're burning the pimple off of their face because of the 10% benzoyl peroxide, but I also think the lactic acid in it helps to exfoliate gently. I'm curious if the facial wash works even better because it contains glycolic acid.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by MrsTefee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My husband and I use this in the shower (ours is face and body bar). He really likes it because it controls his acne and clears out ingrown hairs from shaving as well. I use this as a cleanser in the shower when I want something with some acne fighting ingredients. Great product to have on-hand.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by Rachel1234

This Bar soap has been a Godsend for my teenage daughter! We have tried almost everything for her skin, and this PanOxyl bar soap has worked better than anything else.

What ended up helping her was the combination of washing each night with (1) DHC Cleansing Oil to remove makeup, then (2) PanOxyl 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Bar soap (purchased at Drugmart). Then each morning washing with (3) Cetaphil Facial Cleanser (a very gentle cleanser is needed because the nightly PanOxyl will dry skin out a lot). This regimen has helped her more than anything to heal her blemishes and clear up her skin. Her skin is looking a whole lot better, due in large part to the PanOxyl Bar soap. I also purchased a gentle rose scented witch hazel toner for her for when she needs/wants to use a toner. And for makeup, Estee Lauder "Double Wear Light" foundation set with Neutrogena Shine Control Pressed Powder. Hope this helps!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2012 9:43:00 PM More reviews by turtlebug

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Not writing this for myself, but for my 15 year old daughter who suddenly developed horrible acne. I took her to a dermatologist and he put her on antibiotics, a cream and Panoxyl bar soap. In just four days, the three together have worked WONDERS!!! We're waiting to see an OB/GYN now because the derm said she isn't a candidate for Accutaine but that he thought she was suffering from PCOD, which I was afraid of. The first two days after using the Panoxyl, she broke out even worse, but now, it's all clearing and drying and her skin looks terrific compared to the past three months. It's working for her back and chest as well. He said the Panoxyl would have an exfoliating effect and her skin is just glowing. It might be a combination of the three things together but whatever, the soap surely hasn't hurt at all. Of course the long term treatment is going to be BCP but she's fine with that and will continue with the Panoxyl even after she's through with the antibiotics and cream. I've spent hundreds of dollars on soaps, creams, Clinique... you name it and the painful cystic acne is almost gone in four days. I won't even mention how much her self confidence has gone up. Great stuff so far.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2012 11:16:00 AM More reviews by Eagleeye123

Since Panoxyl was no longer available my Dermatologist recommended using Joesoef Skin Care Sulfur Soap 10% as an alternative to BP. Sulfur Soap is actually natural with anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti inflammatory, removes dead skin cells and reduces redness. I LOVE THIS SOAP !!! for best results use warm water and work soap into a rich lather, be sure allow 60 second before rinse. This is import to allow the sulfur to penetrate deep into the pores killing all bacterial on contact, and removing dead skin cells on the surface leading to a healthy complexion. It only $9 available online or at dermatologists. Joesoef Skin Care sulfur soap is pound for pound the best acne soap out there ....hope this info helps someone its sure has helped me and my friends....5 STARS

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2012 5:45:00 PM More reviews by cawallace

LOVE this product!! I have tried SO many acne products over the years and this is the only one that really clears my skin. I have not bought it from this site, I usually buy it at my local Walmart but every store I search is out of stock!! Anyway, it is very drying but I just love it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2012 6:00:00 PM More reviews by sarahlen

if you are dealing with persistent acne run do not walk to get this! in the past 4 months I have gone from perfect skin to semi-severe acne. found out I have a hormonal imbalance, def going to correct that . But while I'm waiting to see doctors ect I was looking to at least control my oil and acne with skincare but absolutely nothing that had controlled any of my minor acne in the past was working ( MUAC peels, retina, Acne.org treatment, neutrogena stress control,aspirin mask, sulphur masks). they are all great products but I knew my skin was beyond their help. I bought this on a whim in the U.S. as I had never seen it canada and I am beyond thrilled with it. I hardly write reviews anymore but this is the only thing that has even touched my acne and oil. I also let it sit on my skin for a minute and found this works even better. oh also It took about a week or 2 to see a visible difference. my only gripe is the bar sucks and is messy but I'm too scared to switch to the cream formula. My skin is definitely not back to normal but this is the only thing helping

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2012 8:32:00 PM More reviews by alphame

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I started using benzoyl peroxide to contro my acne a few months ago. I started with a 5% and gradually moved up until I had been using 10% for a couple months. When my Clean and Clear cleanser ran out, I tried Panoxyl 10. The product gave me horrible red bumps and rashes all over my face and neck. I also had dry, peeling places. My skin is naturally fairly oily, so this was very odd. I blamed this on my moisturizer since my skin isn't sensitive to the peroxide and continued use of the cleanser. My skin got worse and worse until I stopped using it all together. The red bumps resembled dermatitis and I stopped using anything on my face for 3 days to help them heal. My boyfriend believes my bad reaction was caused by the chemical that is used to keep the cleanser in bar- form, which is why I had never had the reaction before, I have always used gel and foaming cleansers. I switched back to my Clean & Clear 3 in 1 Cleanser, which is 5% benzoyl peroxide and brought back my Clean & Clear Morning Glow moisturizer and my skin is fine. Definitely would not recommend to anyone with combination, dry, or sensitive skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2012 4:57:00 AM More reviews by mokablak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Well.... it did dry out my acne but what it did to my neck was rediculous... extreme dryness and scaly skin.... not to mention, it burned the skin on my face, and I battle with hyperpigmentation, this made it extremely worse.... I used a 10% sulfur ointment and the first night this dry, dark, dead skin turned grey and after an exfoliating cleanser the darkness was gone! I love my sulfur.... it purges my skin brings all my pimples to a white head, then I put my benzol peroxide cream on it overnight, next morning their all dried up....:)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2012 4:19:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have battled acne for the past twenty plus years. I actually stopped breaking out for a good four years or so, but about two years ago my skin did a complete and utter freak out and my battle started once again. I tried virtually every thing under the sun (Shea butter soap, coconut oil, etc.) but nothing worked - at all! I finally resorted back to ProActiv which did very little.

After reading the reviews here, I decided to give Panoxyl a try because I honestly had nothing to lose. Plus, I was tired of shelling out $90 every three months to ProActiv which wasn't even coming close to delivering the promised results. Panoxyl did in fact clear up my skin but like others have said, it is incredibly drying. I don't have sensitive skin by any means, but this made my skin very dry and flaky. Even after applying moisturizer, my skin still felt tight and ended up flaky by the end of the day. I eventually began using it once a day as a result of the dryness and it still worked relatively well.

However, for whatever reason, this soap simply stopped working for me. My guess is that I built up a tolerance to the benzoyl peroxide. Even after going back to using it twice a day, I just didn't get the same results. After getting more huge, painful zits that took forever and a day to heal, I finally bought another cleanser and chucked this in my drawer. Despite the fact that this stopped working for me, I would recommend Panoxyl to anyone with mild to moderate acne because I do think it helps to a degree. Also the price is such that even if this doesn't work, you won't feel as if you've wasted a truckload full of money on yet another acne treatment.