October 24, 2014 | 1716 users online

Lipstick - Chanel - Rouge Coco in Lune Rousse #36

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2012 7:27:00 PM More reviews by mementomori

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a total dud for me. Gorgeous colour - see my uploaded pic. The other reviewers describe it better than I ever could.

However, the formula is a total nightmare. It feels light, but is actually very greasy. Applied directly from the tube, or even when using a lip brush, it refuses to stay on the inner part of my lower lip, instead of that it collects in skin patches I never knew I had. Maybe if I had the perfect set of lips that don't have any "structure" whatsoever this lipstick might be more wearable.

The best way for me to wear Lune Rousse is to lightly dab it onto my lips, one layer only. Forget layering, it's very much pointless as any brushstroke will destroy the layer underneath. Blotting the lips does create a pretty stain, but I won't be able to achieve a more intense colour that actually survives less than two minutes without migrating. *sigh*

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by milkypop

I'm an obsessive compulsive dark red/burgundy lipstick collector and i have almost tried every one from every brand available in my city. Most brands either make 1 or 2 of such dark colors (except MAC) or even none at all so it's not difficult to track them down. Now i have about over 10 in my drawer ranging from the cheapest NYX line to the more expensive MAC, Bobbi Brown, Chanel, Guerlain, Giorgio Armani, younameitigotit.

Some were too bright, some too dark, some brown/brick, some too purple...Of the dozen that i own, the ones i loved best were MAC's Dubonnet - i was almost ready get a second helping as it was so well-used till about a centimetre was left - and also Bobbi Brown's Scarlet from their new line of lipsticks. Both were amazing, Dubonnet suited just about every occasion and outfit, lasted like crazy and wore so well, Scarlet's hue lit up my face and made my complexion look brighter.

One day on a boring department store trip knowing that i've tried everything i decided to test Chanel's Lune Rousse for fun. I was wearing Dubonnet then and the both were really deadringers that i wasn't compelled particularly to buy a dupe. Then i walked away and asked my boyfriend what he thought of it. He gave the nod and said it was nice. Then i asked him if this was better or the one i was wearing this morning was better. This is usually a difficult type of question for him - there were times i asked if this lip or hair color was better or that, this was better or that and he always says he can't tell. How do you expect men to tell burgundy from scarlet? But he promptly replied, this one you're wearing is nicer. Such a rarity i thought, so i bought it!

At first i couldn't understand why he said this was better, it took about two weeks of wearing before i finally realised - this one is just abit blue-er than Dubonnet. The latter is slightly more browned. I'm an NC30 Chinese with warm yellow undertones, slightly tanned, very prone to muddiness when i wear overly warm lip or blush colors, yet very prone to looking retarded when i do too cool ones. And though i cannot wear overly blue tones as a general rule of thumb, wearing something slightly opposite of your natural tone does help counteract it. In this case, the additional, say 5% of blueness in Lune Rousse chased away some more of my sallow yellow undertones and make me look fairer, brought out the pink flush in my complexion. Bobbi Brown's Scarlet (aforementioned) also does this, but that in my opinion is slightly too overly blue and thus is less versatile than this (not for every outfit).

I know i'm almost being too scientific in describing the colors but it's so crucial in finding your perfect lip color. Months later, i've been wearing Lune Rousse every single day and i haven't gone back to any other lipstick, amazing. It's not too bright, neither too goth dark or for daytime and doesn't age me, yet dark enough to look pulled together and mysterious, wears very well, is very moisturising, has sturdy packaging, goes with my every outfit, goes with any blush i wear.

I really urge ladies who've tried the famous Dubonnet but found it too brown or brick to sample this. Or if you are one of those who have a difficult time finding the right balance between warm and cool dark red lip colors to wear, please try it!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/29/2011 6:36:00 PM More reviews by petroskova

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love the color. made my lips pain after using it so won't repurchasing. the formula is average, i think, really hope it has better formula :(

rated 3 of 5 on 1/21/2011 3:43:00 AM More reviews by tangerinna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I'm actually quite shocked at all the good reviews on this product. Whilst I do agree that it's a simply gorgeous shade of cranberry, it's a disaster to wear because of the formula.

Any color out of the Rouge Coco line I can only wear in winter due to the tremendous greasyness of the lipstick. It's truly ridiculous.

I purchased this months ago when the weather was warm, but the store was very air conditioned. The lipstick went on heavy, so I only did my top lip and blotted down for a perfect cranberry smile. I bought it and wore it out of the store.

About a minute after I left the store, in 80 degree weather, it just started feeling very greasy and when i checked my compact, it was bleeding all over. I needed a lipliner (and I never *need* a lipliner). Terrible! I couldn't believe I wasted money on this when for less, I could've bought a Guerlain lipstick if I liked the color.

Fast Forward to end of January, it's COLD. The lipstick is more solid now and glides on beautifully and lasts quite a while. But for a formula I can only wear between November and February, no thanks! There are many FAR SUPERIOR formulas out there that I don't need to waste time with this line moreso than I have already invested.

Nope, will not buy again... but will use this one in the winter. I give this 3 lippies instead of 2 beacause I really do like the color.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2010 5:47:00 PM More reviews by marie28

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I definitely agree with previous reviewers, this is a cranberry red color l/s. It does lean a little on the cooler/blue based end, but not that much. I consider it to be more neutral in the undertones. It is such a gorgeous color for the fall or to wear with a very neutral/soft e/s. Being of med/tan complexion, I loved how this l/s brightened my face. While it is an eye catching shade of red, it is not OTT to wear during the day/work. As for the texture of the l/s, it is typical RC, very smooth. I just ate some greasy Asian food, and my l/s is still on my lips. This RC is highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2010 3:02:00 PM More reviews by wruw

I love it. Beautiful shade of cranberry red, bright but not flamboyant.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I eagerly anticipated the launch of Rouge Coco and then I found myself in front of a Chanel counter purchasing nothing. The array of colors was stunning, but nothing from the line jumped out at me when I saw it in person.

Strongly centered around variations of red, pink, and coral, the line lacked the deep brownish pinks and plums I normally wear. I'd also recently discovered an HG lipstick in Rouge d'Armani Pink 500, which I use both on its own and as a layer with other colors.

Finding that HG lipstick didn't mean that I wouldn't cheat on it, however. I soon found myself back at Chanel, where I tried and quickly purchased Lune Rousse.

I haven't had a lot of luck with Chanel lipsticks. The colors can be muddy on me and the textures have been dry and difficult to work with. Rouge Coco won me over with the lightness and creaminess of its texture, and Lune Rousse's deep cranberry-fuchsia is just vivid enough without being garish. I tend to bring out fuchsia or cyclamen tones, so these tones might not appear on other users.

The lipstick wears well, but is significantly toned down after half an hour. This is where it loses a point with me. My Armani lipstick stays true for hours and doesn't dull, whereas Rouge Coco does. The color is still apparent, but it appears to have faded enough that it is no longer obvious that I am wearing lipstick.

I recommend this color for those looking for a daytime, non-statement red. It's easy to apply and doesn't need liner or gloss. It passes my test of creating a polished look with no other makeup. That's a tall order to fill, and it does.

ETA: I have knocked this back a lippie. It has committed the cardinal lipstick sin of smearing on my teeth. I take back the praise about consistency. That thin, smooth texture translates into greasy on me, and I had to keep wiping this product off my teeth. That is not chic. You should also know that the lipstick doesn't adhere very well to the lips and that it is trouble to apply near the corners of the lip, where it won't "stick." It also wears off the lip quickly, leaving an outline akin to lipliner. I've ended up layering it with my Armani lipstick. This combination makes for an unusual reddish pink color that ultaimately cost me about $65.00 to create, including tax.

continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2010 2:47:00 AM More reviews by ilookflawless

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Lune Rousse stands in the middle between the reds and dark shades in the Rouge Coco line. It's darker than Paris or Rivoli, but isn't as vampy as Rouge Noir or Ballet Russe. In my eyes it's a warm dark red and reminds me of MAC's Dubonet although it's darker. This is a no-brainer red for me, in that it looks good and it's the kind of shade that I would wear if I wanted to look my age (early 30s) and command respect. Despite current thinking, sometimes looking older is very helpful, especially when dealing with expensive restaurants or snotty sales assistants!

Lune Rousse is very creamy in feel (like Gabrielle) and I prefer to wear it with a lipliner than without (MAC Vino although Chanel's Roux would look good too) just to neaten it up on my lower lipline which can look a bit sloppy in deeper colours like this. It wears really well, fading evenly and leaving a stain. It also applies evenly within the first couple of coats, unlike Rouge Noir and Ballet Rousse which I need to blot and reapply to get a completely opaque seamless application. Lune Rousse would be a great fall shade to whip out when you start to crave heavier deeper colours.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2010 8:46:00 PM More reviews by GPD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my second Rouge Coco. I figured I should branch out of my usual boring MLBB, nude, or peachy pinks. This is an absolutely stunning color. Yes it is scary in the tube, but applied it's the most gorgeous deep blood red, hint of plummy/berries, just bitten lip look. It can be applied more heavily for a much deeper red lip. When applied sheerly, it is more of a deep berry red shade. I must admit though these are a tad drying as compared to the Chanel Rouge Allures and has a very subtle sheen to it. The rouge cocos however have great staying power and does NOT bleed, even without lip liner. Overall I'm very pleased with this color choice. Absolutely fantastic and classy.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2010 4:15:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

After wearing subtle MLBB lipsticks for so long, I'm succumbing again to the deeper, more vivid color I so loved in years past. This one is a beloved addition to my growing Rouge Coco collection.

Lune Rousse is a complex, blue based, brick red shade with a touch of cranberry, as noted below. I wanted a red that subtle and elegant, deep enough for night but also acceptable for day. This one satisfies; the texture is smooth, and it's very lightweight, and it lasts for hours without budging. Best of all, it makes my teeth look SO white! What's not to love?