November 1, 2014 | 750 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Spectrum Face Advanced Sunblock Lotion SPF 100

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2012 1:14:00 PM More reviews by BigBlueEyes32

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This sunscreen is amazing. I have most of the Neutrogena ones but the 100+ spf is what I use in the summers everyday. I put it on after I was my face and let it sit before putting on makeup. Then once I put on my makeup, I just dab a little bit more around my eyes/cheekbones and it gives me this glow. I like that this never makes me break out and doesn't leave white residue. I have combination/oily skin and it seems to do just fine with keeping me blemish free. Definitely recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2012 7:43:00 PM More reviews by mantharay27

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've purchased 3 bottles of this stuff, so I really like it. First of all, I have combination skin (that's pretty much all over the place with oil vs. dry), it's quite sensitive, and I have precancerous cells on my face, so I really really need a good sunscreen.

1) It's SPF 100+. I know that they say it doesn't do much after 50 or so, but I've also heard that if you apply less of the 100 it'll give more protection than if you apply that same amount of 50... anyway, I'm not taking chances.
2) I actually used the body version on my face. I don't know what I was thinking because I know I have sensitive skin, but I guess I was just being cheap or something haha. But it worked! It actually improved the quality of my skin after using it every day for about 3 weeks.
3) The finish isn't the worst or the best. There's no white cast, but it leaves a bit of a greasy finish because of the high spf. It's not a big deal, though, it can definitely be controlled with a good powder.
4) I'm a bit iffy on the price. It has a pretty high price tag, although all sunscreens generally do. You can find it for a bit cheaper at the Christmas Tree Shops, if that helps :) It's about the same price as a bottle of La Roche Posay's Anthelios sunscreen (depending on where you buy it) so for the finish I would probably say go for the Anthelios. Except I'm allergic to that, but that's not the point.
5) It's easy to rub in, meaning I don't have to tug or anything like that. I like my Banana Boat Sport SPF 100 more than this one, but that one is difficult to rub in and I don't really like to tug at my skin too much.

Overall, I would say try it out. If my sensitive skin isn't allergic to the body one, the face one should be alright too. One bottle for my entire body lasted about 3 weeks, and just on the face I think it would last even longer. Maybe not HG, but definitely pretty good.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2012 3:00:00 PM More reviews by gabiinchicago

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Update: omg, after only a few days, I had a bad reaction to this! Chemical SS just don't work with my sensitive skin. My skin was red, welted, and reactive: just putting this on made my skin sting like crazy!

-----------------
I have stayed away from chemical sunscreens because they hadn't addressed the oxidation process that occurs as a result of the chemicals used; however, after reading about the 360 technology, I decided to give this one a try since I need a break from my zinc ss. (I had used their dry touch in the past.)

Tip for Application: rub between your fingers and blot onto the face instead of rubbing around to spread it out. I really like this application better, and it looks good once it dries.

I use retin-a a couple times a week, so my skin is ultra sensitive to chemicals. I've found that this does sting a tiny bit if I've just peeled, but I try to use a light moisturizer before applying this to avoid that...it helps. I haven't used it around my eyes, so I can't address stinging if it gets into the eyes.

Leaves a bit of a dewy sheen after drying, but it doesn't feel overly heavy or greasy to me. I put on a bit of a finishing powder to matte, and I find this also keeps my hair from sticking to my face if the wind is blowing.

Don't like the cap; a pump would be better.

Prone to break-outs, but I haven't experienced anything. I'll post again with progress.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2011 7:04:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love the high SPF in this, you can definitely tell when you put it on, it's heavy, thick and white. Like glue. But it dries down fine. my main problem with this? Thank goodness I only put it on my chest and neck, but it BROKE ME OUT LIKE CRAZY! So far, the only products that have ever broken me out are Neutrogena skin care products, so I do not have sensitive skin but just bad luck with this product and the oil free moisturizer. I mean at least 20 pimples overnight, so ... obviously discontinued use and threw it away.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2011 7:18:00 PM More reviews by skim6926

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My favorite sunscreen ever (and this is coming from a sunscreen addict that won't step out of the house without sunscreen even if it's cloudy and raining). Things I love:

-non greasy: it doesn't make your skin look matte or oily; just as if you have a light layer of regular moisturizer. I wouldn't go outside without powder on top but I also don't look like I have a thick layer of greasy sunscreen

-non irritating to skin: even with the high SPF it doesn't irritate my very sensitive skin. I use tazorac so my skin is normally extremely sensitive to high chemical products.

-non irritating to eyes: I've steered clear of Neutrogena's sunscreen because their other formulations (including their lotion) has irritated my eyes. This one doesn't irritate it at all. It truly is like water.

-effective: usually I'll get somewhat tan even with an SPF of 70. This doesn't seem to let any of the sun's rays penetrate at all. I prefer to stay more fair looking so this has been great for that.

-non whitening: I normally love physical sunscreens like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide but sometimes they do leave a white film. Because this is a chemical sunscreen it doesn't leave any whitish cast which I love. I like the fact that my skin doesn't look like it has a mask on top or dullish in tone

I'll definitely buy this great product again. As a last note, I tried the same formulation in the spray and it's completely different in texture. I would definitely recommend the face product for the face.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2011 11:46:00 AM More reviews by TropicalyFrozen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I thought this product was great, I have been using it for two months now and no problems. I love that it's such a strong spf but yet it doesn't irritate my skin, and my skin is very sensitive. I have had no breakouts from this at all.

It does leave a little bit of a shine when you apply it, but after it soaks in you can barely notice it. Like another person on here said "It gives that dewy look."

Another plus, it doesn't leave that white film over your face like other sunscreens tend to do. I'm going to keep on buying.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2011 1:20:00 PM More reviews by merde111

Neutrogena products are usually great on my skin, but unfortunately this one broke me out, big time. I love the idea of such a high SPF, and it looked fine on...but after getting my third big cystic blemish in a week of using it, it has to go!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 10:58:00 AM More reviews by TraePalmer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I must say that I'm fairly impressed with this sunscreen. Looking past the ultra-high SPF rating, this contains avobenzone plus decent concentrations of two stabilizers [octocrylene and DEHN] so the UVA protection is there, and I was able to fade some light hyperpigmentation marks while using this.

What's surprising to me, though, is how good this looks on my skin. After applying it, it drys to a dewy -- not greasy, not matte/chalky -- finish and even appears to smooth out my skintone a bit. I've read that this screen uses SunSpheres [styrene/acrylates copolymer] as an SPF and PFA booster, and that this ingredient can tend to produce a muting or diffusing effect on the skin, so perhaps that's what I'm seeing...whatever it is, I like it LOL ^_^

I do let this dry for several minutes before trying to apply any makeup over it.I've noticed that if I don't let it dry long enough, concealer doesn't apply as well over it, so I do give it those extra few minutes to set up on the skin properly, after which any makeup seems to apply normally.

The 'Face' product in the Spectrum + product line is fragrance-free, which is what I prefer and a rarity amongst Neutrogena's chemical sunscreens. For those who are sensitive to chemical sunscreens and are wondering if this will sting upon application, I usually experience some sort of sensation any time I apply a sunscreen containing chemical blockers, and I do with this product as well. However, it's mostly just a mild 'warming' sensation on me...definitely not stinging or anything that produces a rash or prolonged irritation.

This can produce a mild sheen [very mild...nothing remotely like the white cast physical sunscreens produce] upon first application that seems to disappear rather quickly on me. My skintone is anywhere from fair to tan, depending on how much of a sunless tan I have goin' on on my face -_^, but for those with very dark skin tones, this could potentially be an issue.

Overall, this is definitely one of my favorite sunscreens and is one that I feel comfortable wearing daily for protection from the SoCal sun.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2010 6:16:00 AM More reviews by Harsiese

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have to say, Ive been using this for some time. Out of sheer unadulterated stubbornness for the high spf. I really am losing that battle. It is very hard to spread, I feel like the wrinkle prevention wont matter if Im yanking my skin in a tug of war every morning. It is awful under makeup, and I mean AWFUL. I was on a mad search for under eye concealer for eons because none applied right and my friends who were MUA's were baffled since they never had any of these issues. Finally I figured it out after a night going out and I wore makeup sans this junk and it went on so nicely! That even didnt break me away from the 100spf and supposed other benifits, then to top it all off. It makes my skin look choked, dull, struggling, translucent like it cant breath and dry. So I applied a touch of oil free sensitive skin moisturizer prior and viola! Cystic acne the size of dimes!!! For a product so expensive, this is the worst Ive used. I tried my damndest to like it due to the ultra high spf, but that literally is the only aspect that isnt miserable. What an utterly awful product. Hard, greasy, suffocating, expensive and will break out the hell out of your skin if you fart wrong. Ugh.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2010 6:22:00 PM More reviews by vesuvana

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the greasiest heaviest sunscreen I've tried yet. It is so awful to feel it drag against your skin if fabric or fingers touch you where you have this on. It never soaks in completely, no matter how little you use. And if you put it on your hands or arms, it leaves a high shine on them that I just hate. Terrible!