November 29, 2014 | 1748 users online

Mascara - Physicians Formula - Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Mascara Duo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2014 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I got this in a kit with a nude strip eye-shadow palette (that I am not a huge fan of) and two eyeliners. This is a nice mascara for a more natural look since one end is more of a taupe color. It matches one of the eyeliners. The other end is black. The wands are both similar to Covergirl Lashblast (which is my HG). Very nice mascara and doesn't clump.

I like using the taupe end for my lower lashes because I am messy with applying lower lash mascaras. This just gives a definition to them without a mess. I couldn't use this on my top lashes because its too light. I am very dark haired and my lashes are naturally very dark. I have not noticed any flaking or smudging and they don't sting my eyes.

I would not repurchase this simply because I love my Covergirl more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2013 2:50:00 PM More reviews by VegetaFanGirl

I have mixed feelings about this mascara.
I bought this in a Physicians' Formula set; it's a double ended mascara with one end being black, the other being a natural, taupe-brown. It It's two mascaras in one, essentially, which is cool.
Firstly, the wands; these are rubber, and on the thicker side. In a way, they remind me of Covergirl Lashblast wands, but they perform in a different manner. The one that is on the black end of the mascara is slightly longer and thicker than the one on the brown end; they're proportionate to each other in size. The bristles are quite thick, and spaced closely. However, these brushes harbor a lot of product, and don't hold back with depositing it all. It doesn't do the best job of separating, but it doesn't clump horribly. I'd say one coat of this mascara is quite sufficient; any more, and it starts to clump big time. For that reason, this mascara's kinda risky.
The look you get with this is very dramatic, especially with the black end; the brown end is a bit more reserved. The black end of Shimmer Strips made my lashes very thick, dark, and gave tons of volume. Length wise, it's all right, but volume is its specialty. On the other hand, the brown end defines lashes more than thickens them. The brown end gave me nice, natural looking length; not as much volume, but good definition. The brown end doesn't clump as much, either. So if you're looking for something on the bold side, then this mascara is for you.
The staying power is good- I haven't had flaking or smudging problems, and it comes off easily when it's time. I haven't seen waterproof versions of Shimmer Strips...
I don't like the packaging all that much. The lettering you can scratch off really easily off the tube. It's also quite bulky, making application a bit inconvenient. Also, the tube itself is super angular, with sharp corners. I'm not accident prone, but it still kinda worries me every time I pick it up that I'll accidentally stab myself.
Overall, it's a decent product; I like the look that I got from Shimmer Strips, but this mascara is slightly clump-prone. It's pricey for a drugstore mascara; $10-$11, or something like that. I might repurchase if I had to, but I'll stick to other mascaras for now.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2013 9:27:00 PM More reviews by d1s

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Pros:
-Love the way it applies(black side) . My lashes look great. Seriously cakes some product on there but still stays nicely separated.
-Pretty packaging.
-2 colors in one.

Cons:
-Brush/wand on colored (in my case, purple) side is floppy and hard to work with.
-Flakes alll day long. Drives me insane. The flaking is never ending.

I won't repurchase. And I think I need to toss this as I still occasionally grab it forgetting what a flakey mess it is.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2012 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Pemby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have to say this is my go to mascara (the black end) on a day to day basis. I does a good job, not outstanding, but for daily life it applies very easily and always look good (No clumps) which is really all I could ask for from a mascara. Plus I enjoy the glitter, though I don't really notice it on my lashes (my ex however did, so maybe it is a bit noticible than I detect.). The color end is awesome! Good color payoff though I don't find much use for a colored mascara, but it is fun to own.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by ToriBiohazard

I've been dying to get my hands on the purple mascara from PF in this line, and I finally picked it up. I was sooo excited to have a purple mascara!
However, the black mascara does nothing for my lashes, its very dry, and the brush is very flimsy, making it hard to get a nice thick coat on your lashes. As for the colors mascara, it also does nothing for my lashes. And it hardly shows up! It dries so dark purple I might as well just be wearing black mascara! I've tried it alone, and it's still far too dark to even notice.
Pretty disappointed in this, considering I usually love PF cosmetics! This one is a miss for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/29/2012 1:08:00 AM More reviews by emilamia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So, luckily I got this for free. I have the one for brown eyes. I don't have brown eyes (I am living a lie!), but purple is supposed to be universally flattering so it works.

It does clump significantly, so you have to be rigorous with brushing your lashes out after applying it.

Also, it irritates my eyes a little. Not anything excruciating, but a bit uncomfortable.

Overall, pretty meh! The purple color is nice, but if you don't care about being colorful that much, there are better mascaras out there for less money.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2012 7:55:00 PM More reviews by RainbowGasp

One day, I decided I wanted to go for something more colorful than black.
I'm very picky with my makeup, and always look for the best hypoallergenic product. This does a good job; but it may take a few coats for the color to show up. I bought the one for brown eyes (purple.)
Pros:
-The color is really nice, so many compliments too! In natural outdoor light, people tend to tell me that they love my Pink lashes. I'm fine whether it's purple or pink b/c both would look lovely.
-Doesn't smudge as much as I thought it would.
-Enhances my lashes
Cons:
-A little bit drying
-I don't like how there's more black than the purple. I mainly bought it for the purple, but it's too expensive to buy this continuously.
-I honestly hate the little glitter specks on it. Throughout the day, the glitter would tend to fall onto my cheeks.
OVERALL: I really love this product! I would definitely buy it again; but I just hope PF would sell ONLY the colored mascara, not the black!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2012 3:57:00 PM More reviews by lestrange

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have this in the brown eyes version. I got it about a year ago and only got around to using it now, so I don't know if the packaging is the same (mine is black and bronze). I've tried the bronze color both alone and on top of the black and I hate it. It is way too light and makes my lashes disappear completely, so I've only been using the black side. At first I wasn't a fan of it since it made my lashes look too natural (I like my lashes to be bold and dramatic) as all the other rubber tip wand mascaras do. However, I started getting complements on it and even getting asked if i was wearing false lashes! I guess when you layer enough on you get a nice effect, so I was pleased with it. However, after a few hours it starts to flake. So although overall not a bad product, there are better things out there, and I have no need for the bronze side, so I will not be repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/12/2011 9:44:00 PM More reviews by glowgirl123

i HATE this product.
worst mascara i've tried.
1-not extreamly expensive, but i could have bought two ok maybellen or covergirl mascara's, for the price of this JUNK.
2-packaging would maybe be a little better if they made the stoppers more attached, Mine came off the second time i opened this.
the black is okay, it's really black, and really nice, but they are extreamly smudgey, go on so clumpy.
i hate this more than anything i've tried.
will NEVER* think of buying again.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/28/2011 12:10:00 AM More reviews by CuppycakeLover

The only reason I would bu this again is because of the nice color I have it in green and purple ..... not cause I have green and brown eyes but cause I love the color lashes it colors really well but the black is just terrible it clumps so badly just like covergirls! I only get it because of the nice colors and thats it!