LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer

4.2

Isododecane, Talc, Trihydroxystearin, Polyethylene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, VP/Eicosene, Copolymer, Triethylhexanoin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, PEG-40, Stearate, Propylene Carbonate , Beeswax (Cera Alba), Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77499, 77491, 77492).

on 5/3/2015 8:34:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This primer works great and is very easy to apply. I love it!

on 4/19/2015 2:25:00 AM

I think this is a good primer and I find it does extend the wear of my eyeshadow and prevent smudging, but not as long as the Nars one. I appreciate that it has a little colour and the consistency is nice and light. I like the squeeze tube packaging and if the Nars one was ever discontinued I'd repurchase this one.

on 4/7/2015 5:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

The major reason I like this is because my eyelids aren't very oily. They can get a bit greasy sometimes and affected by humidity, but most other popular primers, such as Urban Decay or Too Faced tend to actually dry out my lids. I don't think Lorac primer makes my shadows last quite as long as the other two mentioned, but for me it's much more comfortable and less irritating while still doing the job. The formulation is quite creamy so it takes a bit longer to set. If you apply your shadows while it's still very moist and tacky they won't blend properly and will not be stable through the day, so just dab on with fingers sparingly then wait about 2 minutes for it to settle in.

This doesn't improve vibrance but you can use a cream base for that. I don't find this plays well with NYX jumbo pencil in Milk but it works great with MAC paint pots. Lorac primer will take mid-end shadows from about 6 hours without primer to 8 or 9 using this, effectively getting me through most of the day. I find it works best with Lorac shadows that tend to be richly pigmented but quite soft, but I guess that's what it was formulated for.

I love this as an undereye primer though. It really helps concealer and powder to not settle into fine lines, and noticeably improves the coverage and wear time. So if you're not digging this on your eyelids, try under eye!

Ultimately I think if you have oily eyelids or not sensitive and can handle UD Primer Potion or TF Shadow insurance, try them as they perform better with most qualities of eyeshadow and extend weartime even longer, but if not Lorac is the next best thing. It's still better than ELF, NYX and Revlon in my opinion.

on 3/29/2015 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I received this as a freebie with my pro palette. It's nothing special. I wouldn't fork over the money for it.

on 3/12/2015 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Awful, awful, awful. My shadows applied patchy and when I got home less than six hours later, I noticed they had completely disappeared except for that telltale gritty crease line. Good thing I got this free with my palette, because I'd be very unhappy had I spent money on it.

on 2/26/2015 4:28:00 PM

This is a nice, thin, creamy, smooth eye primer, but it does not work for oily or slightly oily lids. It tends to melt my eye shadows into a mess only after a few hours. I think it would be nice if you are aware that you have normal or dryer lids, but not for anyone with any type of oil.

I got this product when I purchased my Lorac Pro Palette Original. It's great how they included a primer. In my opinion, this product is way to raved about. The packaging is nice and cute, but the formula is ehh. The products smells TERRIBLE and CHEMICALLY. This might just be mine, or just a fluke, but when I sniffed it, I instantly was shocked. The primer is quite sticky, which is great in a sense to hold the eyeshadows in place, but due to it, the eyeshadows have a hard time blending around. Don't get me wrong, the Lorac eyeshadows are amazing! The consistently of the primer is quite liquidy and is a white ish color, so it would work on many different skin colors. Overall, I wouldn't purchase this in the full size.

on 2/22/2015 1:48:00 PM

I got this from ULTA as a beauty steal, so I paid only $10 instead of the retail price $21. I'm glad too, because there wasn't anything "wow" about this primer as I would expect for $21. Formula-wise, it reminded me a lot of the $6 NYX HD Eyeshadow Base, with a soft, creamy consistency, skin-colored tone, sheerness, drying time, and staying power--which brings the color out of my eyeshadow for 6+ hours before the color either begins to fade or crease, depending on stress and environment.

After about 3 months of having this, I also noticed that the tube started to spill a little oil before the rest of the product would come out, which seems typical for squeeze tube packaging as this has happened with my former favorite (and discontinued) Victoria's Secret VS PRO Lasting FX Eyeshadow Primer when it was packaged in a white squeeze tube. Not a huge deal but it can be a little messy. To prevent it I alternate storing the tube upside down and right side up from day to day--if I remember to.

I have tried 2 eyeshadow primers so far (NYX HD Eyeshadow Base and this LORAC one) and 2 eyeshadow bases (NYX Eye Base in Skin and a huge number of Maybelline Color Tattoos), and overall this LORAC one is my least favorite because it is otherwise expensive had it not been for the Ulta Beauty Steal deal, and it performs like a drugstore primer. In fact, the Maybelline Color Tattoos aren't even marketed as eyeshadow primers but they outperform anything I have tried on my oily lids, especially with powder shadow over them. I thought I'd have a taste of a higher-end primer with the LORAC primer, but I'm not repurchasing.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I received the mini size of this eye primer with the Lorac Unzipped palette. It is very comparable to Urban Decay's Primer Potion both in texture and the way it blends into the skin. The eye shadows never creased or fade when I used this primer, but then again, I don't suffer from oily eyelids and the shadows I used were extremely rich in color too. Maybe if I use it with cheap eyeshadows I could see the true performance of this primer? Anyway, would I buy the full size?
Heeeeeell no!!!! Eye primers are one of those things I wouldn't splurge on.
Good product, just over priced.

I received a sample of this with the LORAC Pro Palette and thought I would try it out before I opened a new NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base, which is my go-to eye shadow primer.

The tube seems to be of good quality. I like that you squeeze the product out, rather than using a doe foot applicator. It seems as though less product would be wasted, left in places that couldn't be reached. The product is creamy, with a light tint. It blends in with my skin tone. I don't detect a fragrance to it.

Unfortunately, this product didn't work for me. My lids tend to be oily and one eyelid is slightly hooded. By the end of the day, the eye makeup and formed a nice crust in my crease -- particularly on the more hooded eyelid. (This doesn't happen when I use the NARS primer.) My eye shadow looked as it used to look before I started using primer.

This product might work for people whose eyelids are not hooded at all and/or whose eyelids are not oily. However, if you fall in either or both of these categories, I don't recommend this product.