December 22, 2014 | 1771 users online

Hair Color - Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color in Oriental Black

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2014 3:41:00 PM More reviews by ryansgirl4eva

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is the first time i ever dyed my hair so. i have natural deep brown hair but sometimes it can look ashy. anyway i want to make it a more chocolate brown but after reading all the bullshit i would have to do to get that. i said starch that.

one of my friend had dyed her hair a raven black with the blue tint. i loved it. it was then i decide black hair at the end of the day speaks for itself. so i wanted black without the blue.

i ran across this and it seem the safest. it was weird mixing it and the color look kind of more red brown i was a bit worry but went for it. surprising it didn't stink and it was a breeze to apply.

long story short, i love my black hair. no damage no shedding no dryness either. my makeup looks better and makes my skin just pop! so im happy and would suggest it. (pic up top)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2014 12:25:00 PM More reviews by woodenshoe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I don't use the Oriental Black version but Medium Chestnut instead. Eventhough my hair is black Bigen provides a nice mahogany glow.

I am on the fence with this hair color to be honest. The pros are that it does a really good job at covering grey hair, it doesn't contain ammonia and therefore doesn't smell as nasty as other hair color products and the application is quick and easy.The cons are that it makes my hair dry and brittle for a couple of weeks.The damage is not irreparable but still.
I don't use hair colors that frequently though, only every three or four months which limits the damaging properties of this product.

I will keep using it because other hair colors don't cover grey as well and as quickly as Bigen, and because of the fact that it's cheap. Last but not least, I like the colors as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2013 8:49:00 PM More reviews by R3drjs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product!! I dyed my hair multiple times in just two months so I waited a while to dye it again. I was afraid that my hair would get even more dry and brittle, but wow, after using Bigen my hair feels even better than before I first dyed it! It's really shiny and soft, and I didn't even deep condition my hair when I was washing it out, I just used a conditioner for color treated hair and left it in my hair for 3 minutes or so. My scalp didn't get itchy like with chemical dyes and My hair actually has moisture! No frizzy hair!!!! I've wanted jet black hair and I got it!! I used the blue black and left it in my hair for about 40 minutes, and wow I didn't think my hair could get this dark lol. The only downside is that my hair is long, almost reaching my belly button, so I had to buy three bottles, which can get pretty expensive. Other than that, I love this product!!!! I'll probably just buy it for cheaper online next time!! If you want JET BLACk Hair, use this product!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 10:06:00 PM More reviews by meowkitties

It's weird to see all these negative reviews about bigen. I've been using bigen (blue black) for about 4 years now and love it. It's the only dye that doesn't cause my hair any damage. I've completely ruined my hair using other drug store dyes like garnier and loreal and had to cut and regrow my hair out all over again. Bigen is the only dye that i can use to get and keep my blue black hair. I use it about once, max twice a year and my hair remains black as can be. Like many people are saying, it's only for those who are committed to having dark hair because once you use this stuff, there is no going back.

I have read horror stories about allergic reactions so definitely be safe and do your skin test before you use it. Luckily for me, i have had no negative reactions to this dye.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/19/2012 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Jane2u

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

Folks, I am writing this review to explain something. In India this is sold as Chinese hair color. And now -when they are selling this product outside India, these guys are writing on their package that it has Ayurvedic properties -Ayurveda is the one of the oldest known forms of herbal medicine which originated in India and very largely remains in India because the entire texts are in the ancient language of Sanskrit.

A Chinese hair color cannot be Ayurvedic -please don't be fooled by such false claims.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2012 8:08:00 AM More reviews by emmamulligan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Great color! It has Ayurvedic ingredients, so it smells great. Easy to prepare. Even the packaging is attractive. Pretty cheap, although I prefer to buy henna (same results for half the price). However, I only gave it a four because henna gives me similar results for about a dollar less. The measuring cup and little brown bottle are cute, but otherwise it has no advantage over henna.

Edit Jan 05, 2012: I've changed my rating from a 4 to a 3 because I just realized that there's two or three times as much product in henna packages, too. I've found that my eBay seller has raised his price per by about 50 cents (still a little cheaper, after taxes [in Canada] than Bigen), but he's also offering a "buy two get one free" deal. Still cheaper in a lot of ways and it really does add up. Just fyi, I've been using Diamond brand henna, in a blue and black plastic baggie.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2012 11:33:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

Made my 4b/c hair extremely dry. I noticed the same reaction as other people here. My scalp itched and felt like it was 'blowing up'. Strangely, about 5 years ago Bigen didn't cause this reaction but it seems that something in the ingredients has changed and made it more harsh. I would not recommend this product to anyone. Beter safe than sorry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2012 11:33:00 PM More reviews by egoh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm surprised to see so many bad review on this Bigen Powder Hair Color. I recently discovered Bigen and just LOVE it ! I really like the fact that you can use what you need and not have to waste a whole bottle of dye. I have been using the hair powder in Oriental Black for about 10 months now and have no problems with it at all. Originally I was really skeptical because you just mix the powder with water and it's supposed to be "permanent" ??Yah right! Well, it really works, it covers my gray really well and I never get the burning or irritated scalp from it. I also never experienced any breakage in hair or loss of hair from it. I did modify the "recipe" in that I mix the powder with 2 x the amount of water that is in the direction and put it in a dye bottle I got from Sally's Beauty. I gave it 4 lippie because if you have a lot of hair, you will need to use 2 bottles of the powder and that can get expensive really quick!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2012 6:03:00 AM More reviews by immadashell

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I can't believe this happened to me. I am an african american woman that pride and loves my hair. A women's beauty is in her hair. I have been styling my own hair for 20 years. A basic texturizer and coloring. I would go to the barber to just to get a edge up in my back. Never had problems with any of the products I've used. Motions regular hair relaxer, Dark and Lovely hair coloring, S-curl hair moisturizer and hair gel. Always excellent results. About 3 years ago, I went to my barber and he introduced me to Bigen Hair Powder. He convinced me of its ability to cover stubborn grey hair. And found it to be really inexpensive. Who can beat paying $5 less for hair coloring. I bought in to and was pleased. I continued to use it on the regular. November of 2011, I used it and my scalp began to itch uncontrollable. I contributed to maybe leaving it in too long. So I endured the discomfort. It lasted up to the time for a re touch. In February of this year, I gave myself another Bigen treatment and the same reaction occurred, but worst. I wanted to scratch my scalp of my head. My hair fell out around the front of my head and in spots on the side of my head, I also start experiencing itching all over my body. I am now also experiencing unexplainable headaches. So I went to the doctors. They couldn't explain the reaction I was experience and wrote it off as an allergic reaction. So prescribed benedryl and predinzone. They also noticed that my thyroids were becoming enlarged. I never had any problems with my thyroids in my entire life. Now I have to go for severe testing for my thyroid and other testing. I can't sleep at night because the itching wakes me up in spite of taking benedryl and it's embarrassing to be itching all the time in public. Since the doctors couldn't explain to me what I was experiencing, I started noticing this only occur after I treat my hair with Bigen. So I took the liberty to see what the ingredients are in this coloring and read some reviews. I am devastated. To my surprise I can't find a list of the ingredients on line and to hear from others that they have experience the exact same thing that I am, is very scary. If it is proven that Bigen is behind this issue I am going through, I will see them in court!!!!!! Ladies DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!! Pay the extra money for whatever product that you have been using and PROVEN itself to be healthy.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2012 8:23:00 AM More reviews by e_emberton

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I only gave Bigen 1 lippy because the system will not acept "0". I used this product about 2 years ago. The first time my hair was dry, but ok. The second time my hair broke off so badly around the crown area and sides that I had to shave my head and start from scratch. I have used many other dyes in the past so I am no newbie to dyes. Now not only I cannot use Bigen but also I have developed a sensitivity to commercial dyes in general. Stay way from this product.