April 20, 2014 | 1637 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Miracle Nail Thickener

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2014 8:12:00 AM More reviews by saturdayenvelopes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My nails: thin and damaged
This product: AWFUL.

I paid $18.95 from Woolworths for this. I applied it once, it had a weird stringy base and took a long time to dry. I applied two coats of opi nail polish, seche Vite top coat and opi drip dry. Within three hours of lying in bed, maybe scratching my head once? My polish started to chip and peel. I decided to give it one more try, I dehydrated my nails with CND scrub fresh to make sure it wasn't any oils on the nail, applied it with the same products and about four hours later I was patting my cat and noticed it was chipping again!

I texted and watched tv during that time. That's all. Absolute bs product, I ended up returning it and purchasing opi nail envy for $22. MUCH BETTER PRODUCT. this product thinned my nails out if anything. You may say this isn't a fair trial, but honey - for that price and low quality within hours? It doesn't deserve it.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2014 7:07:00 AM More reviews by Bee82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really don't like this product it's thick and stringy I couldn't apply it I wouldn't buy this product again and I usually love all sally hansen products I was very disappointed.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2014 10:40:00 AM More reviews by Kissalex

I like this product.. It's not bad and it's not great. I really like the shine of it.. It does peel off rather quickly though. I used it for the 4 days as I have incredibly thin nails. Saying that, after removing it day 5 with a nail strengthening remover (also SH) I noticed the top of my nails seemed more strong however the tips still rather flimsy. Also, when I used it again the following week, it was rather thick and had these tiny floaty strings flying from the tips of my nails..I also started taking a b5 supplement to help them along and I rub some b5 gel cap on them as well. Hope it all works!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2013 1:40:00 AM More reviews by Ohh2pretty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand the poor reviews- overall, for the price it's great stuff! After wearing acrylics my nails were in the worse shape ever! They literally ached for a month after removing my tips! I tried many products to help heal and strengthen my nails- this one was one of the best. It actually dries QUICKLY and serves as both a base and top coat. It has a lot of shine too! Finally, my nails are much better and getting stronger with this product. I apply it according to directions daily for 4 or so days then remove and start over. You can't beat the price way under $10. I gave it one less lippy because it tends to get thick and gloppy inside the bottle after using for a while- I be sure to shake it before applying.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2013 4:55:00 PM More reviews by shaancyr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I see many people are saying that this product takes forevever to dry and that it is bubbling a lot. That is probably because you are applying coat after coat without letting the first coat dry completely. I notice that this product dries after about 30 seconds. I wouldnt say it is the best strengthener in the world, but it has definitely made my nails a bit thicker. a downside is it does peel off easily but that is why youre supposed to apply a new coat daily, as per the instructions, so i wouldnt use this product as a base coat.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2013 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Emac42

This is more like a nail thinner. It didn't thicken my nails at all. When I immersed my hands in hot water, the coat started to peel off and took some of the top layer of my nails too. I paid 10 for this thickener which is way too expensive considering what it did to my nails.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by CatsEyes82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

**EDIT** For the Biotin, you work up to 5000 mg per day in case you were wondering. Also, the nail thickener does add shine so if you do not like shiny nails, I don't suggest this particular thickener as it will not be matte.** After reading a lot of the other reviews, I noticed a lot of people said the product bubbled or didn't work. I always got my nails thickened at a spa (basically a gel nail set without adding tips) but found that, when my nails would grow, my nails under the gel were thin, soft and would have the potential to break.

I just bought this product yesterday at SDM for 10.99 + tax and followed the instructions on the bottle. "Apply 1 coat to bare nails. For extra thin nails, apply daily for up to 4 days. Use alone or as a base coat." Now, first, I filed my nails down to remove any residual gel. I then used a buffer (harder side first to ensure nails were even on the surface as best they could be) and then the side to make them shiny. To remove residual oils, I washed and fully dried my hands and nails in colder water (I had heard warm water makes them softer and more pliable for those with thick nails to be able to cut their nails without cracking them) and then applied a thin coat (wiping the wand along the edges to remove excess product). It only took a couple of minutes for it to dry. The next day (today), I applied another thin coat. I have no bubbling. What I find is, with products like this that are buildable, thin coats are best. It does drip a bit so make sure you wipe off the end of the brush prior to the application to each nail. Other than that, it isn't a miracle persay, but my nails are shiny and already feel a bit thicker. I am not sure if this will actually make them thick or will do what a gel set did and just give the illusion of thickness. 4 stars for now but we shall see. Also, I suggest taking Vitamin B5 (Biotin) which is supposed to be helpful (in time) for nail and hair growth. The research I did was that you need 2500 mcg per day. Most grocery store supplements contain only 250 mcg so unless you want to waste money and take 10 a day, I suggest a health food store for a "hair and nails" supplement. I did manage to find "Nature's Bounty" Biotin 1000mcg for about 8.99 + tax at Superstore but that will be another review. For this product, just ensure your nails are clean and buffed and apply a thin coat daily for 4 days. Thicker application would result in the bubbling effect others have experienced. Also, I haven't utilized it as a base coat (as I am waiting after the initial 4 day application to do so, so that will be another review. Good luck and I hope this helped! ^_^

rated 3 of 5 on 12/2/2012 11:38:00 PM More reviews by saucysam

dried pretty quickly, no bubbles or anything to speak of. nice glossy finish.

i started with clean, dry flaking and horribly thin nails
i only applied one coat, as per the instructions

rated 2 of 5 on 6/17/2012 6:38:00 PM More reviews by arw155

UPDATE- I'm keeping this product at a two rating because It got really thick really quickly and there were too many bubbles.

The only reason I gave this product a 2 rating was because I just started using it. I mean whenever I put it on I could tell there was a little bit of a difference already. But I think , along with any product, you have to give it time to see the full effects. Hopefully it works!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2012 9:54:00 PM More reviews by MushuMuffin

My nails always break really easily, so I could never get long nails, or if I managed to get them long, they'd break. This product is great. I have definitely noticed a difference in my nails. They look great, and they're finally long. They aren't rock solid, of course, but I didn't expect that. I use it whenever I can. I apply it everyday when I'm not wearing nail polish, and as a base coat when I am. Yes, this stuff does come off quick. But that's why it says to apply every day. The only reason I gave this product 4 stars is because of the guarantee. The guarantee promises 70% stronger nails in 4 days, I think? It didn't work that fast for me, But it does work. Also, so far, mine hasn't been bubbling at all, and I've had it for about 2 months