September 23, 2014 | 2121 users online

Shampoo - Desert Essence - Fragrance Free Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 3:45:00 PM More reviews by janne1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have curly/wavy hair and it gets dry easily. I have used this shampoo + same conditioner over 2 years and absolutely loved it, my hair was always smooth and silky and curls would hold on nice for days, I would never get itchy scalp or dandruff ... unfortunately I have tried two other shampoos (Coconut and Red Raspberry from the same brand and they turned my hair into something unmanageable and my scalp was a bit itchy too)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2013 2:43:00 AM More reviews by BoxOfRocks

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have a sensitive scalp that is easily irritated and am frequently on the search for fragrance-free shampoos. I actually have to rotate through 2-3 at any one time to avoid irritation. I've had a good experience with this shampoo. Doesn't dry out the scalp, cleanses thoroughly without stripping, and doesn't require a ton of product to cover the scalp. I don't use daily conditioner (usually a deep conditioner about once a week), but my hair isn't excessively dry after using this product. I can see how that might be the case if one's hair is color-treated or regularly heat styled. For my part, I will be a repeat purchaser.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

Hands down, the absolute worst shampoo I have ever used. I bought these to use at my cottage since I like the idea of using natural products in that kind of environment when the water filtering system isn't as good. This shampoo sucked the absolute life out of my hair and made it feel literally like straw. I've bought knock off brand shampoos for about a dollar at the drugstore that make my hair feel this stuff. When I decided to take the trip into town I just had to pick up new products, I didn't feel like I could abuse my hair like that anymore and I had only ever used it twice. Horrible product, do not buy it. There are so much better products out there for a lower price that are natural and cruelty free. Terrible buy. I can't hate on this enough.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I can't believe this has so many negative reviews! I have very long (I'm talking butt-length long), moderately thick hair. I also, very unfortunately, suffer from scalp psoriasis along the back of my hair line along my neck. I've previously been able to keep it under control for the most part, up until I moved into a new house several months ago and now have hard water. Big no-no for psoriasis. The first couple months after the move I was miserable. It was worse than it had ever been, and the flare-up was NOT going away like it usually does. I had to have tried - literally - about 15 different medicated shampoos and scalp treatments with no relief. I was recommended this shampoo on a psoriasis message board, so I picked it up from a local organic health food store and it's helped SO much. This shampoo has definitely helped reduce the inflammation and discomfort. During my flare-up I even had areas where it was actually *on* my neck which had never happened before. After using this, it's completely gone from my neck and what's left is just on my scalp itself - and even that has improved immensely.
About a month ago I decided to get a wave perm. I've been using this shampoo since then as well and it's worked wonderfully. It doesn't dry my hair out after all the chemicals from the perm did their damage. It cleans just enough and leaves my hair soft and volumized. I always follow with a good conditioner (not the Desert Essence brand... I've never tried their conditioners) and it leaves my hair looking and feeling great. I just used up my first bottle and will be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by mom2sam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I seriously question the reviews I read here. It is hard to tell whether they think this is a drying shampoo because they didn't follow with a conditioner or not. I would never wash my hair without also conditioning it. So, here is my take:
My scalp got very irritated from a dye job at my salon, followed by a shampoo/conditioner that made matters worse. My dermatologist had to prescribe a steroid lotion for my scalp to soothe the irritation, bumps and itching. She further instructed to use a shampoo and conditioner without fragrance for at least a month to let my scalp calm down. I found this shampoo at Whole Foods and thought I'd give it a whirl. It cleans well and rinses easily and has no scent whatsoever. When I follow up with the conditioner, my naturally wavy, chemically-treAted hair is happy. If your scalp is truly sensitive, this shampoo will work for you. But don't skip the conditioner. Ever.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2013 1:01:00 AM More reviews by jazberryjelly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hands down, the worst shampoo I have ever put in my hair.

I have never had that much hair fall out during a wash. Horrible stuff. Don't waste your money

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2012 11:02:00 PM More reviews by happymerlot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

It's not the worst fragrance-free shampoo I've tried. Less drying than Free & Clear, and DHS. Still leaves my hair a little dryer than I'd like. Causes no irritation of my skin or scalp, so until I find something less drying, I'll buy this again.

Background: I have very sensitive, very dry skin, and with normal shampoo my chest gets itchy from the rinse water, my neck gets eczema, and my scalp gets little irritated bumps. This alleviates all of those symptoms when used in conjunction with fragrance free body wash and hair conditioner.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 7:58:00 AM More reviews by renia22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this shampoo in the hopes that I found a good substitute for the Curelle shampoo that I have been using & love (but it's expensive & has to be purchased on-line). This shampoo just did not cut it for me. My hair is fine, drier at the ends and prone to shedding. This shampoo did not lather well, even on the second shampoo. It didn't tangle my hair in the shower (which is good), but also didn't feel like it rinsed out all the way. It left my hair feeling coated, almost like I had shampooed it with something that was waxy. It looked okay after drying, but it just didn't feel clean. I also did not look at the ingredient list closely enough & overlooked that it contains sodium chloride (table salt), which is an ingredient that I suspect my scalp does not react well to & makes my hair shed more. I will use it up as a body wash.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/4/2011 10:03:00 AM More reviews by OpenPlains

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I appreciated that the lack of sulfates and fragrance did not irritate my skin, but this shampoo is too harsh for my hair. It's become dried out even with my formerly sufficient conditioner and weekly camellia oil routine.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2010 9:57:00 AM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I did not care for this, I found it almost slimy, but slightly drying. My guess is because the polyquaternium is pretty high on the list (ahead of the oil) and it made my hair stiff, but slimy. I also had quite the eczema reaction on my hands from it. So not for me.