December 22, 2014 | 1713 users online

Foundations - Shiseido - Sheer Matifying Compact

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2014 10:19:00 PM More reviews by clairerenee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this to mattify my face after applying sunscreen to get a little more protection as it has spf22.

The two lightest shades aren't available in Canada so I purchased while on vacation. The compact was $8.50, the powder insert was $30.00 (US$). I got Very Light Ochre as I have yellow undertones but am very pale (NC15). This shade was not "very light" at all. It was brownish-orange on my skin.

I exchanged it at Macy's for shade Very Light Ivory. It was slightly better but still no match-unless I have used self tanner and built up to maybe NC25-30, it looks brown. This shade is also not "very light" and bears no resemblance to ivory.

I wish Shiseido would get their act together with regard to shades, I tried their sun protection compact in the past and all shades were very pink and dark.

So back to my old reliable Neutrogena Healthy Skin Pressed Powder and $38.50 down the toilet.

IF I could find a light enough shade, this powder would be lovely. It is very silky, applies evenly, the compact is small enough for a small handbag and it does indeed mattify.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2013 2:25:00 PM More reviews by starsobrite

I have been using this for a few years. At first, I was a big fan. I have oily, acne-prone skin and it did not cause any breakouts. It seemed to matify my skin. But three years later, it looks cakey if I am oily in the summer (which happens within an hour or two of leaving the house) and very chalky and dry in the winter. I think that I will be looking for a new product after this runs out.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2012 12:58:00 AM More reviews by JohannGo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The product looks natural, indoors and outdoors. It does tend to go slightly shiny when exposed to the sunlight for too long, however.

The sponge applicator that comes with the product is pretty much useless. It hardly gets any powder on it and is hard to spread out. If you really want to use the sponge, dip it in water and squeeze it out before applying the powder on.

The product hasn't made my acne or skin worse which is a relief. The mattifying quality isn't as great as other products I've used though. Also, I'm wondering whether the word "sheer" is the right word since it does have a rather "wet" finish.

The only disadvantage I've noticed is that it is easy for the product to become flakey/chalky on the face, especially when you sweat. This will be hard to notice indoors though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 4:31:00 PM More reviews by eyummi

I like this product! It is long lasting for 6 7 hours. About covering, it s better than fondation. Even it s little expensive product, it s worth not need to refresh.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2012 1:43:00 PM More reviews by meyene

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this product! I have oily skin and it really does mattify my face. Some would say that this one cakes on them, mine does not. I guess it really does depend from person to person.

I have my 2nd purchase recently and got o40.

I apply this just once daily, and if i do need to touch up, which, sometimes i don't anymore, I would use my in2it powder foundation.

Good staying power!
I'm trying this tomorrow along with Majolica Majorca's Primer so we'll see on the effects!

I love the coverage btw. Just plain natural for an everyday foundie!

Really expensive though :p i needed to save a lot to get one first. But worth the buy coz it lasts for a long time on me!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2012 3:00:00 AM More reviews by ooolamide

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product in D30, a new shade (and Shisheido's darkest).

I like this product a lot, because of the medium coverage. I have a lot of dark marks and was looking for a product that covered them without looking too made up. This is it! The coverage is faaantastic, and it looks so natural, and my skintone is unbelievably even afterwards. the color match is great, BUT i must say it goes on verry chalky. Indoors, it looks chalky, but in natural, outdoor lighting, the finish is very natural.

I'm still looking for a way to apply it so that it looks less chalky, but I still love the product! We'll see...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2012 8:14:00 PM More reviews by Xxkonixx

First of all there is nothing sheer about this powder.....i bought it to use as a touch up powder throughout the hot summer day to add some coverage and sun protection to my face. However, this is more liked a powder foundation which is very thick and dead matte which is not what i was looking for. And the matifying effect is not that great compare to others i have had which is less expensive. The sponge that comes with the compact really is not a good applicator for powder foundation and when used for touch up it cakes with the oil on your face...but with the special foundation brush that shiseido has gives much better outcome...and the worst thing is that it's extremely drying on skin, it gives my face an instant effect of tightness which i can't stand.....so another fail product for me.......

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2012 5:13:00 PM More reviews by barbiH

I purchased this first in my quest for a spf touch up that DD would use. But I find that I quite like it as well. It's mattifying and creamy at the same time which seems contradictory. For the record, I did a thorough color check of the O (olive) and I (ivory) paler to medium shades. I'm a MAC C3 and was surprised to find that O00 is my spot-on match. O20 had just enough orange tinge that made my face look unnatural. Not sure what shade someone w/ a really fair but yellow complexion would use. Perhaps the O00 would be forgiving enough. All in all, this is a lovely mattifying spf powder. Could be used as a primary foundation but I like it as touch up (over Shiseido Sun Protection liquid). The best part? NO breakouts or irritation. This is well on its way to HG status in my book.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2012 12:53:00 PM More reviews by luxlover79

This may be the end of my search for oil control powders! This foundation is amazing and really matifies my t-zone. It smoothens my skin too. I use it alone for natural look or over my other foundations. 'Works great & definitely worth the purchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2012 3:02:00 AM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was looking for a foundation to use everyday with a quick application but this did not work for my mature skin. This is a very sheer foundation for normal to oily skin. The foundation applies like silk, but it is way to too drying. After two hours, my powder blush disappears and the foundation seems to accentuate my lines.

Although the compact case must be purchased separately it includes a good quality sponge. Now I'm back to square one in finding a suitable foundation for mature skin.

Update: April 2012 -- I've come to really like this compact foundation. I achieve the look I want but I apply Estee Nutricious moisterizer first and on those sunny days when my skin is exposed, I apply Clarins sunscreen over moisterizer followed by the Shiseido compact foundation. The look is flawless and not greasy. My skin has improved actually.

I'm not sure I'd purchase again without trying the LaPrairie compact foundation once I run out of this.