September 22, 2014 | 1188 users online

Fragrances - Escada - Margaretha Ley

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2012 4:47:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

After seeing all the wide-ranging reviews, I was so excited to get my hands on a sample vial and satisfy my curiosity about this scent.

On my skin, Margaretha Ley is a subtly sweet, powdery fruit like the smell you get from a freshly torn roll of SweetTarts candy. The dominant fruit is peach. Underneath, there's a hint of warmth and spiciness. This spiciness could very well be interpreted as cumin, curry, or BO by some people--hence the poor reviews by the haters.

I'm no fan of those objectionable notes either, but having smelled some cumin-y fragrances that are far more intense--Annick Goutal Songes, Amouage Jubilation 25, L'Artisan Safran Troublant, and Worth Courtesan, just to name four--I find that the smell of Margaretha Ley is quite tame in comparison. It's much softer than any of those four fragrances and (at least on my skin) unlikely to be interpreted as BO. It's more on par with Annick Goutal Le Mimosa, where the musky, cumin-y note is subtle and not as dominant.

But whether I love this scent is a whole 'nother story. I think I like it well enough for a cold winter day, but in the blooming heat of summer, it could very well be a risky fragrance to attempt in a crowded room.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2011 8:37:00 PM More reviews by elnvk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Lovely soft luxurious fragrance........ I've had total strangers in waiting rooms say "Someone smells great!".....when I profer a wrist they ALL say "Oh! That's it....what is it? It's wonderful!" It's very feminine . Floral and vanilla..... a little carnation and peach, too.......... I have worn it for better than 15 years,, it never changes, it's always a favorite. A little hard to find, but wonderful

rated 1 of 5 on 3/23/2008 6:15:00 PM More reviews by jardines1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I recently met my daughter for a shopping day. When we hugged "Hello", I could smell something very unpleasant on her--OMG, was it possible? She wafted of B.O.--really strong B.O., too!!!! Not possible!!!! My daughter is a very clean and hygenic-conscious person. So what was that stench???? Escada Margaretha Ley, that's what it was!! GAH! Horrible Bog of Eternal Stench!! Needless to say, it was the last time she wore that acrid goo!! Enough said!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2007 12:13:00 AM More reviews by verolyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It went on smelling exactly like Charlie Express, which I used to drench myself in back in 8th grade. No good. The instant fruit blast "dries" out quickly, leaving something vaguely musky and a little ashy smelling on my arm. I'll pass on the chance to relive my awkward stage.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2006 6:42:00 AM More reviews by ukleder

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm shocked by the negative reviews. This is a gorgeous musky scent that is very seductive and something I'd wear at night. It is a classic perfume that is just another example of a wonderful original Escada scent. I buy it over and over again, and it always gets rave reviews when I wear it...especially by men!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2006 2:22:00 AM More reviews by kandiceplain

This has got to be the worst Escada scent, ever. It smelled so gross that I washed it off right after applying it, and immediately got rid of it. I wouldn't even give it to my little cousin who loves my "left over" perfumes. Gross, Gross, Gross.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2006 7:27:00 AM More reviews by magnificent

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My review is for THE CLASSIC ESCADA by Margaretha Ley!!! Escada's first fragrance. Red/gold packaging. Smells exotic, floral-spicy, warm, creamy, elegant and very feminine. I cannot smell coconut in this well-balanced and special scent, but I detect tuberose (...tuberose smells a bit like coconut). For my nose Escada classic is just perfect & ultra-feminine. It's a deep and very complex symphony. No other fragrance smells similar to this unique concoction. - Year Introduced: 1990.
Scent Type: Floral - Oriental.
Top Notes: Bergamot, hyacinth, peach, coconut.
Heart Notes: Orange blossom, jasmine, iris, carnation, frangipani flower.
Base Notes: Vanilla, musk, sandalwood.

"Escada is the signature fragrance developed by Margaretha Ley, the supremely elegant international fashion designer from Sweden, who was widely noted for her inspirational use of vibrant color.
Escada borrowed its name from a champion Thoroughbred whose name is Portuguese for "staircase." With its smooth blend of fresh fruits, orange blossom, jasmine, and sandalwood, the floral Oriental scent is versatile enough to be worn during the day, yet sophisticated enough for the evening.
The complex scent is presented in classic Escada design: a voluptuous sculpted glass heart, topped with gold-colored filigree swirls, nestled in Escada red packaging. Let it capture your heart. "
- Scent Profile by Jan Moran author
Fabulous Fragrances II 2006 -

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2005 12:22:00 AM More reviews by missamerica32

This is strong, which is how I like my scents, but I am just not totally sure that this scent is for me. It smells like something my Grandma wears, (not necessarily a bad thing, b/c she smells good.) I like the scent, but am still trying to decide if it's for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2005 9:50:00 PM More reviews by star811

This is one of the worst fragrances I've ever smelled. What can I say about it that hasn't already been said? It's old and stale smelling; so much so I couldn't smell it for more than 2 seconds to try and see what was beneath that nauseating note of bitterness. This is worse than my grandma's perfume.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2005 9:09:00 AM More reviews by onmycue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a juicy floral and gives a hint of what later Escadas will become--definitely on the way to tropical and sweet. It certainly has good lasting power, though. I'd probably like it a lot more if I were sitting on a beach sipping an umbrella drink, but it just feels out of place in the snow. It can be found regularly at TJ Maxx and Marshall's.