Sexy Hair Concepts Powder Play

3.8

Water, Propylene Glycol, Silica Silyate, Acai Palm Pulp Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Passionflower Seed Oil, Sodium Benzoate

on 2/21/2015 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I LOVE THIS STUFF! I have apparently had my hair go through a crisis where it decided to become thin in texture, although i do have a lot of it. Because of this, fresh out of the wash, it was flat and i looked weird. A friend of mine had this with her on vacation and i have never loved a product more. Although this does take some getting used to in terms of how heavy handed you need to be, this has been the most volume my hair will hold. The benefit for me is the next day my messy buns are phenomenal due to the leftover product ;)

The price is a little high, and since it's so light i can't tell how much i've used in the last few months. I will update as soon as i have a better grasp of how long this really lasts!

on 1/8/2015 2:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have thick layered hair, I bought this product to add volume to my hair between washes. It did for about 10 mins and then went flat. Waste of money.

on 9/10/2014 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

You have to apply it right for it to work. I have fine thin hair that's cut in a bob which gets flat easily. With this powder I put the product in one hand and in the other hand I dab it on the roots where I need the volume and the oil gone...then I tease it a bit more with my fingers and BAM...fuller hair. I think if I was just to dump it on my roots it wouldn't work as well. You have to be strategic in how you place it on your hair.

on 8/12/2014 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Lawd this stuff is horrid! :p Made my hair feel like cotton candy EW! I sprinkled it on the roots and tried to floof it up as recommended but it just made my hair look WIGGY! Clumpy and not good. It stuck to my scalp and made it itch and feel dirty. For the record, my hair is fine, straight and medium length and I just wanted some lift at the crown. Out this stuff goes.

I use this along my roots and at the crown of my head and then tease with a teasing brush for volume. I think I'm the only one who notices- its that subtle. I like Regis Designline Powder Boost volumizer much better.

Pros:

This is just an unexpected, unintended benefit but it soaks up oil like a dry shampoo.

Adds a bit of texture to ends.

Cons:

Not very powerful.

More effective products in the same price range, so for me, it just doesn't compare. It sits on my counter along with my other products, and I will use it up, but won't be repurchasing. It's just a disappointing product.

on 8/5/2014 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

After reading all the positive reviews about this product here on MUA, I decided to give this powder a try. It was also on sale at Ulta at the time, so I figured even more reason for me to buy it. I have a short, layered A-frame haircut that's fine-textured so I'm always looking for good volumizing and texturizing products. I have used this product for several months now and tried many different methods that I've looked up how to use with it, but this powder has been a total fail for me. It always has a weird pasty feel in my hair no matter how I use it and I don't notice any added volume or texture. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this product because even if it did work for me, paying $17 USD is pretty ridiculous for 0.53 oz of powder, in my opinion. I really wanted this powder to work, but I guess it's not meant for me for whatever reason. Hopefully others will have better luck with this product.

on 1/23/2014 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'll be 100% honest, I could NOT figure out how to make this product work for me. I used just a little bit when my hair was dried, and my hair got really oily less than an hour later. (while I was at work, AT A BEAUTY STORE, of course.) Blah. I wish I could make it work. :/ I just don't understand.. Anyone have any tips? I'm definately still open to it, not gonna throw it out.

on 11/26/2013 10:10:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have very fine and limp hair that really does nothing but lay flat on my head. I like having some volume to my hair, but most volumizers leave a crunchy or sticky texture that is just not touchable and I just can't stand.

Powder play changed the entire game for me. It gives hair a lot of volume with no crunchy texture. It leaves a little stickiness but, nothing bothersome. The powder is white and I have color treated red hair, I have used quite a bit of it at a time with no visible residue. I also love that the effect lasts a long time, hour after hour and doesn't really diminish the way a spray volumizer would.

When I use it, I shake it into my hand and then apply it with the other hand. I find I get more control with the application than shaking it directly into my hair.

I have only tried one other powder volumizer, and it was by TIGI. I like this one better because I felt like it had a stronger effect and lasted longer.

on 11/12/2013 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I've rocked a pixie cut for the last seven years and this is the only product I've found that truly gives hair incredible lift. On dry hair, I sprinkle it onto the roots/scalp where I need it, massage, and style away. I can use it to add subtle volume and texture or completely make my hair stand on end for crazier faux hawk and sculptural styles. And it LASTS. With other root boosters or volumizing products, I'd have to add more product and mist my hair continually with hairspray in order to keep it from collapsing by midday. Not with Powder Play! The best part about this product is that it gives touchable hold, doesn't flake, and is very easy to wash out. Big big thumbs up - I will cry if this is ever discontinued!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have very fine hair, & not a real abundance of it. I use this product by first hot rollering/or other, then sectioning my hair & sprinkling this on the roots...then sort of fluff/scrunch it in a bit. I do a little extra teasing at the crown. It gives me more volume than I would otherwise have & my hair definitely looks more full. Sometimes it falls a little after a while but lifts back up if I lift it with the tail of a comb or do that "scrunch" thing at the roots with my fingers.

I would definitely repurchase.

Popular Styling Products