October 1, 2014 | 1840 users online

Styling Products - Sexy Hair Concepts - Powder Play

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2014 3:52:00 PM More reviews by stau0024

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

You have to apply it right for it to work. I have fine thin hair that's cut in a bob which gets flat easily. With this powder I put the product in one hand and in the other hand I dab it on the roots where I need the volume and the oil gone...then I tease it a bit more with my fingers and BAM...fuller hair. I think if I was just to dump it on my roots it wouldn't work as well. You have to be strategic in how you place it on your hair.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2014 1:47:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

Lawd this stuff is horrid! :p Made my hair feel like cotton candy EW! I sprinkled it on the roots and tried to floof it up as recommended but it just made my hair look WIGGY! Clumpy and not good. It stuck to my scalp and made it itch and feel dirty. For the record, my hair is fine, straight and medium length and I just wanted some lift at the crown. Out this stuff goes.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2014 3:57:00 AM More reviews by LilMissMatched

I use this along my roots and at the crown of my head and then tease with a teasing brush for volume. I think I'm the only one who notices- its that subtle. I like Regis Designline Powder Boost volumizer much better.

Pros:

This is just an unexpected, unintended benefit but it soaks up oil like a dry shampoo.

Adds a bit of texture to ends.

Cons:

Not very powerful.

More effective products in the same price range, so for me, it just doesn't compare. It sits on my counter along with my other products, and I will use it up, but won't be repurchasing. It's just a disappointing product.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2014 12:37:00 PM More reviews by lizzchan12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

After reading all the positive reviews about this product here on MUA, I decided to give this powder a try. It was also on sale at Ulta at the time, so I figured even more reason for me to buy it. I have a short, layered A-frame haircut that's fine-textured so I'm always looking for good volumizing and texturizing products. I have used this product for several months now and tried many different methods that I've looked up how to use with it, but this powder has been a total fail for me. It always has a weird pasty feel in my hair no matter how I use it and I don't notice any added volume or texture. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this product because even if it did work for me, paying $17 USD is pretty ridiculous for 0.53 oz of powder, in my opinion. I really wanted this powder to work, but I guess it's not meant for me for whatever reason. Hopefully others will have better luck with this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2014 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Jessicaxjane

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'll be 100% honest, I could NOT figure out how to make this product work for me. I used just a little bit when my hair was dried, and my hair got really oily less than an hour later. (while I was at work, AT A BEAUTY STORE, of course.) Blah. I wish I could make it work. :/ I just don't understand.. Anyone have any tips? I'm definately still open to it, not gonna throw it out.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2013 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Courtneybrynn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very fine and limp hair that really does nothing but lay flat on my head. I like having some volume to my hair, but most volumizers leave a crunchy or sticky texture that is just not touchable and I just can't stand.

Powder play changed the entire game for me. It gives hair a lot of volume with no crunchy texture. It leaves a little stickiness but, nothing bothersome. The powder is white and I have color treated red hair, I have used quite a bit of it at a time with no visible residue. I also love that the effect lasts a long time, hour after hour and doesn't really diminish the way a spray volumizer would.

When I use it, I shake it into my hand and then apply it with the other hand. I find I get more control with the application than shaking it directly into my hair.

I have only tried one other powder volumizer, and it was by TIGI. I like this one better because I felt like it had a stronger effect and lasted longer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by ECMac25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I've rocked a pixie cut for the last seven years and this is the only product I've found that truly gives hair incredible lift. On dry hair, I sprinkle it onto the roots/scalp where I need it, massage, and style away. I can use it to add subtle volume and texture or completely make my hair stand on end for crazier faux hawk and sculptural styles. And it LASTS. With other root boosters or volumizing products, I'd have to add more product and mist my hair continually with hairspray in order to keep it from collapsing by midday. Not with Powder Play! The best part about this product is that it gives touchable hold, doesn't flake, and is very easy to wash out. Big big thumbs up - I will cry if this is ever discontinued!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2013 5:32:00 PM More reviews by goddessintraining

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very fine hair, & not a real abundance of it. I use this product by first hot rollering/or other, then sectioning my hair & sprinkling this on the roots...then sort of fluff/scrunch it in a bit. I do a little extra teasing at the crown. It gives me more volume than I would otherwise have & my hair definitely looks more full. Sometimes it falls a little after a while but lifts back up if I lift it with the tail of a comb or do that "scrunch" thing at the roots with my fingers.

I would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Di57

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had been using Schwarzkopf Osis Dusting Powder and whilst that did the job well, it was like having fairy floss stuck through your hair. In comparison, Big Sexy Hair Powder Play does the job just as well, but is much more easy to manage. You can run fingers through it to arrange it after dusting, and your fingers don't get caught up and stuck like I found with the Osis powder. It gives a natural lift and 'big' look to my fine, short (above shoulder) hair. I did have my hair cut very short and am growing it out. This product works great to plump it up and out - makes me look as though I have twice the hair I do have. And can still run fingers through it and plump it up through the day. Really happy I got onto this product. Hairhouse Warehouse talked me into buying a 3-pack of the powder, spray & play hairspray (also excellent!) and mousse (also great). The pack was on special for just over $30, so a good deal all round.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 12:23:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play Volumizing&Texturizing Powder is "the perfect product to add volume to any hair type no matter the style or texture. Instantly liquifies it's self when applied, allowing hair to absorb the product and provide full, voluminous textured hair. Its weightless, odorless, and colorless on hair." Volume is not something my hair needs more of, but the concept of this product intrigued me enough to try it, plus I've enjoyed the other Sexy Hair products I've already tried. I received a .7 oz (2g) travel size of Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play in my April Ipsy Bag. The full size contains .53 oz and retails for around $16. Sexy Hair products are available worldwide - in the USA you can find Sexy Hair at salons, beauty suppliers, and Ulta. I've also recently seen the brand at Target and Giant Eagle. Sexy Hair does not test on animals. This styling product was made in America.
Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play comes in a small, recyclable, red plastic bottle topped with a black cap. The Big Sexy Hair logo runs vertically down the tube. The product name and a comic book style "POW" are printed on the front of the tube in black lettering. The back of the bottle offers directions, a description, and a full ingredient list. Removing the cap reveals a shaker top with a star design. Dispensing this product is easy and not too messy.
Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play Volumizing&Texturizing Powder is a really interesting product. Before I move on I just wanna give kudos to Sexy Hair for slipping a hockey reference into this product's name; that alon makes it a win for me. Anyway, this Volumizing&Texturizing Powder comes out as a fine, soft, white powder. Sexy Hair recommends that you sprinkle this product at the roots of the hair and rub it in with your fingers. What happens next is really neat - this powder liquifies! How? I do not know, but I guess it makes sense since most of the ingredients are liquid based. This powder feels a bit wet in stick in the hair - like a hair spray. Like I said, my hair doesn't need help from volumizing styling products, its massive on it's own. So, to test this product I brushed and combed my hair down as flat as I could get it, sprinkled in some Powder Play, rubbed it in and suddenly my hair was massive again. This product provides instant volume with no teasing required. If your hair already has a lot of lift, its very easy to go overboard with this product - Powder Play makes my bangs stick out straight! Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play Volumizing&Texturizing Powder doesn't provide any hold, so you'll need to follow it up with a hairspray like Big Sexy Hair's Spray&Play, which I highly recommend. Powder Play is not a loose dry shampoo, it does nothing for oil absorption, I feel like it actually makes my hair look a little greasy, or at least wet.
Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play Volumizing&Texturizing Powder really does provide an immense amount of volume. If you have limp hair, this is the product for you. For me, this product only exacerbates the wildness of my mane, and I call it a mane specifically because this product made me look like a lion. The way this powder styling product works is a mystery. How does a powder made of relatively simple ingredients liquify and lift my hair to such heights? Clearly witchcraft is involved. If you have flat hair, consider picking up the mini version of this product for $6. If you have naturally full bodied locks, skip Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play unless you plan on creating extremely voluminous styles.