August 21, 2014 | 1018 users online

Treatments (Face) - A & D - Original Ointment

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 7:32:00 AM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's utilitarian, sure. Smells a little "clinical," too. But since I picked up a little tube of this 2 years ago, I have dispensed with all my other lip balms (and I used to collect them, every brand and flavor). I work in an ER, where the air is intentionally kept very dry, and stick balms weren't cutting it anymore. Same for mentholated balms in a pot, like Carmex and Burt's Bees-- too drying. Regular Vaseline was thin and slippery and didn't seem to really sink in.

One night, an experienced nurse showed me her tube of A & D and said, "it ain't just for baby butts!" Wow. The lanolin and cod liver oil (which you barely smell) give this stuff a nice thick texture that's not waxy. My lips love the way it feels! And it really does sink in and heal the lips. It's basic, inert, and non-irritating, while still being highly effective. I can even skip a night.

Bonus: makes a pretty lip gloss! So get beyond the "butt" association and approach this stuff with an open mind.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2014 12:24:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I never thought I would be writing a review for this. I was provided with many tubes from the hospital when my dd was younger. I usually use Desitin or Butt Paste on my daughter's diaper rashes but decided to use this. This works amazingly well for healing the area and a little goes a long way. It doesn't have the best smell but it does work. I now use this on my lips at night to keep them supple looking and soft per recommendations here. I recently have been slathering some on my feet and hands at night as well. I thought it would be too heavy but the lanolin and cod liver oil (I know, doesn't sound appealing, lol) is suitable for sealing in moisture and brightening the skin. I couldn't believe how soft and smooth my skin felt, especially my feet. I rarely have time to go to the nail salon for upkeep so I have to resort to caring for my hands and feet at home. This ointment helps a lot in making my feet look presentable in sandals now that the summer is drawing near. It has almost the same consistency of vaseline but is slightly more liquidy. Highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 6:42:00 PM More reviews by wagashi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use A&D ointment for literally everything. I am never without a tube, and when I travel and forget to bring one, I freak out. For one, I have used it as an eye cream since I was 25. I don't know if it's the superior moisturizing and barrier-creating properties of the ointment, or the vitamin A that's in it, but I have no fine lines around my eyes at 30 (hoping it'll stay that way, too). I actually feel weird going to bed without it, and usually get up to slap it on if I've forgotten. Almost every other eye cream/oil I've used feels completely inadequate compared to this. Secondly, I use it on my lips at night. This is one of the only products I've tried to use overnight that absolutely does not evaporate and heals and protects my lips until morning. It also looks great as a balm during the day, although it does smell sort of weird, and people with babies look at you weird when you break it out and apply it. Finally, I use it on my cuticles and it works beautifully to keep them strong and prevent them from cracking. It's sort of weird, but I'm a product junkie and I've been using this for 5 years, longer than any other product in my routine. I know it's not particularly cool, but I'd recommend it to anyone of any age who needs serious moisturization anywhere on their body.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2013 7:16:00 AM More reviews by bunnyb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is FABULOUS!!! I discovered it in desperation as the hot summer of 2013 approached. Not to sound gross but sweating profusely in some of our intimate areas ladies isn't cute, fun or comfortable. Underneath the breast area can be a real problem for most women who are well endowed. After suffering many summers from itchy rashes and yeast infections underneath my breast area, I decided to try A &D after reading on another blog that it could help for this problem. I RUSHED right out and purchased it and applied it to the intended area, held my breath and prayed for the best. My prayers were answered. Not only does this stuff repel sweat but I have not had one single outbreak or discomfort in this area since using it. I am very careful in regards to what I use in the breast area because of chemicals and parabens, but A & D's ingredients are all harmless. It keeps me dry, fresh and rash free. I now also use it on my lips at night and they are as supple as can be. I plan never to be without this amazing ointment!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff is amazing. Best lip balm I've ever used and I've tried *everything*. Before I started using this at night my lips were always dry, especially in winter when they'd crack and bleed. Also, I'm a polish junkie, and changing it several times a week leaves my nails very dehydrated. Now after I take my polish off I rub a little bit of this into my cuticles and nail beds and my nails are so much better for it; no more peeling or broken nails. I've used this on all kinds of rashes, burns, cuts, scrapes, etc. and it's always worked great. And you have to use it so sparingly that 1.5oz tube has lasted months with barely a dent made.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2012 7:31:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I bought this when I had an allergic reaction to something and needed something to calm my red face down. A dermatologist told me this would be soothing. Its safe for babies and I knew coming from a large family, my mother and grandmother had used it as well. I recognized the scent right off and realized its too much a turn off for me to use, especially near my nose! I simply find the smell of it unbearable but realize its a personal preference. I once taught in a Nursery school and this just brings back rather queasy memories if you get my drift lol. I wish it didn't effect me that way but smell is such a subjective, personal preference. My review is based on scent alone and not product performance.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

one of the items i cannot do without...i initially got this for the healing process for my tattoo..and when i realized vaseline nor aquaphor was ineffective for my dry lips....i tried this baby and was super happy!! at first, i hated the scent but it grew on me...i use this to keep my lips moist and chap free!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2012 9:38:00 PM More reviews by ncdecolover

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Over 60 years ago, my mother began using A&D on us as babies. My sister and I have both always had fair, hypersensitive skin and Mother said A&D was the only product that worked on our diaper rash. Then throughout our childhood and adolescence, we found that it also was great for everything from sunburn to scrapes acquired when we fell off our bikes. Mother used it as a facial moisturizer from her twenties up until two and a half years ago when she passed at 84.

It smells a bit peculiar but not by any means bad, more like kind of medicinal.

I can't say enough good things about this product.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2012 6:27:00 PM More reviews by LadyAmaryllis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I originally bought this for a fresh tattoo per my artist's recommendation. It helped my fresh ink heal wonderfully and now that that's all squared away I've found a TON of other uses for this unassuming, totally unglamorous tube of goo! I love it as a lip balm, as a cuticle treatment, a hand cream (applied sparingly), and a foot cream. I work in pharmacy so I am handling paperwork and labels all the time in an air-conditioned environment, and to make things worse I live in a very old house that is poorly insulated and must keep my space heater going at all times! Needless to say my hands are very, very dry, with painful peeling hangnails and cuticles, and my feet are pretty gross too. This is my saving grace--all throughout the winter, I slather this on my hands, feet, and lips before I go to bed. Nothing else works as well as this does!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2012 10:47:00 AM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely fantastic product with many uses. I buy the no brand CVS version in a tube with a flip cap. I have oily, super-sensitive skin, and I find this stuff calms and moisturizes awesomely. Chapped lips? Put this on and presto, no more flakes and cracks. Developing a rash around my eyes from some eyeshadow? Put this on, and presto, red bumps and rash gone! You name it this works for it! I was especially surprised that it worked for my eye rash, since I had redness and bumps, with some of the bumps looking like little white head pimples, as well as dry, red looking "irritation" wrinkles. This cleared it up in 2 days. I think it's the combination of fish oil, Vit A and D, and lanolin. I was worried about it smelling bad from the fish oil, but it really has no offensive smell whatsoever. GREAT product, a real keeper. I had used this years ago and forgot it, bought again when I had the eye rash and nothing else helped. I now use it daily on my under-eye area (tiny amt.) and on my lips and after 2 weeks of use I have much smoother, calmer skin in both areas with none of those dryness lines and NO irritation!!! BTW I have had no problems with it being too oily around my eyes, as long as I use a small amt. and wipe off any excess.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No