April 21, 2014 | 952 users online

Treatments - A & D - Original Ointment

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 6:42:00 PM More reviews by wagashi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use A&D ointment for literally everything. I am never without a tube, and when I travel and forget to bring one, I freak out. For one, I have used it as an eye cream since I was 25. I don't know if it's the superior moisturizing and barrier-creating properties of the ointment, or the vitamin A that's in it, but I have no fine lines around my eyes at 30 (hoping it'll stay that way, too). I actually feel weird going to bed without it, and usually get up to slap it on if I've forgotten. Almost every other eye cream/oil I've used feels completely inadequate compared to this. Secondly, I use it on my lips at night. This is one of the only products I've tried to use overnight that absolutely does not evaporate and heals and protects my lips until morning. It also looks great as a balm during the day, although it does smell sort of weird, and people with babies look at you weird when you break it out and apply it. Finally, I use it on my cuticles and it works beautifully to keep them strong and prevent them from cracking. It's sort of weird, but I'm a product junkie and I've been using this for 5 years, longer than any other product in my routine. I know it's not particularly cool, but I'd recommend it to anyone of any age who needs serious moisturization anywhere on their body.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2013 7:16:00 AM More reviews by bunnyb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is FABULOUS!!! I discovered it in desperation as the hot summer of 2013 approached. Not to sound gross but sweating profusely in some of our intimate areas ladies isn't cute, fun or comfortable. Underneath the breast area can be a real problem for most women who are well endowed. After suffering many summers from itchy rashes and yeast infections underneath my breast area, I decided to try A &D after reading on another blog that it could help for this problem. I RUSHED right out and purchased it and applied it to the intended area, held my breath and prayed for the best. My prayers were answered. Not only does this stuff repel sweat but I have not had one single outbreak or discomfort in this area since using it. I am very careful in regards to what I use in the breast area because of chemicals and parabens, but A & D's ingredients are all harmless. It keeps me dry, fresh and rash free. I now also use it on my lips at night and they are as supple as can be. I plan never to be without this amazing ointment!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff is amazing. Best lip balm I've ever used and I've tried *everything*. Before I started using this at night my lips were always dry, especially in winter when they'd crack and bleed. Also, I'm a polish junkie, and changing it several times a week leaves my nails very dehydrated. Now after I take my polish off I rub a little bit of this into my cuticles and nail beds and my nails are so much better for it; no more peeling or broken nails. I've used this on all kinds of rashes, burns, cuts, scrapes, etc. and it's always worked great. And you have to use it so sparingly that 1.5oz tube has lasted months with barely a dent made.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2012 7:31:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I bought this when I had an allergic reaction to something and needed something to calm my red face down. A dermatologist told me this would be soothing. Its safe for babies and I knew coming from a large family, my mother and grandmother had used it as well. I recognized the scent right off and realized its too much a turn off for me to use, especially near my nose! I simply find the smell of it unbearable but realize its a personal preference. I once taught in a Nursery school and this just brings back rather queasy memories if you get my drift lol. I wish it didn't effect me that way but smell is such a subjective, personal preference. My review is based on scent alone and not product performance.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

one of the items i cannot do without...i initially got this for the healing process for my tattoo..and when i realized vaseline nor aquaphor was ineffective for my dry lips....i tried this baby and was super happy!! at first, i hated the scent but it grew on me...i use this to keep my lips moist and chap free!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2012 9:38:00 PM More reviews by ncdecolover

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Over 60 years ago, my mother began using A&D on us as babies. My sister and I have both always had fair, hypersensitive skin and Mother said A&D was the only product that worked on our diaper rash. Then throughout our childhood and adolescence, we found that it also was great for everything from sunburn to scrapes acquired when we fell off our bikes. Mother used it as a facial moisturizer from her twenties up until two and a half years ago when she passed at 84.

It smells a bit peculiar but not by any means bad, more like kind of medicinal.

I can't say enough good things about this product.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2012 6:27:00 PM More reviews by LadyAmaryllis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I originally bought this for a fresh tattoo per my artist's recommendation. It helped my fresh ink heal wonderfully and now that that's all squared away I've found a TON of other uses for this unassuming, totally unglamorous tube of goo! I love it as a lip balm, as a cuticle treatment, a hand cream (applied sparingly), and a foot cream. I work in pharmacy so I am handling paperwork and labels all the time in an air-conditioned environment, and to make things worse I live in a very old house that is poorly insulated and must keep my space heater going at all times! Needless to say my hands are very, very dry, with painful peeling hangnails and cuticles, and my feet are pretty gross too. This is my saving grace--all throughout the winter, I slather this on my hands, feet, and lips before I go to bed. Nothing else works as well as this does!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2012 10:47:00 AM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely fantastic product with many uses. I buy the no brand CVS version in a tube with a flip cap. I have oily, super-sensitive skin, and I find this stuff calms and moisturizes awesomely. Chapped lips? Put this on and presto, no more flakes and cracks. Developing a rash around my eyes from some eyeshadow? Put this on, and presto, red bumps and rash gone! You name it this works for it! I was especially surprised that it worked for my eye rash, since I had redness and bumps, with some of the bumps looking like little white head pimples, as well as dry, red looking "irritation" wrinkles. This cleared it up in 2 days. I think it's the combination of fish oil, Vit A and D, and lanolin. I was worried about it smelling bad from the fish oil, but it really has no offensive smell whatsoever. GREAT product, a real keeper. I had used this years ago and forgot it, bought again when I had the eye rash and nothing else helped. I now use it daily on my under-eye area (tiny amt.) and on my lips and after 2 weeks of use I have much smoother, calmer skin in both areas with none of those dryness lines and NO irritation!!! BTW I have had no problems with it being too oily around my eyes, as long as I use a small amt. and wipe off any excess.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2011 11:51:00 PM More reviews by tightkitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Grey

OMG HG! I cant believe the lack of reviews on this ancient gem. My lips have been so dry lately and NOTHING would make them supple. I tried everything several blistex,medicated blistex in a tub,aquafina,baby lips,carmex just to name a few. I have used pretty much what seems to work for everyone else. My lips were flaky and dry. The only lip stick that did not emphasize my dry flaky lips were revlon lip butters that do not actually have a shade that I love,so I still was not happy and my dry lips were still causing me problems. I googled severely dry lips and read on wikipedia that the best ingredient for your lips is actually lanolin since it really sinks in and is also commonly used in breast creams. So instead of buying a breast cream that are usually itleast 10$ I saw that A+D first aid ointment is 15.5% Lanolin for a cheaper price not to mention the added vitamins A&D. We all know it's great for scraps,cuts,and baby bottoms but who knew that it says protects and helps relieve chapped,chafed or cracked skin and lips. I had no idea until I went on an inexpensive Lanolin search. I must say within 2 days my lips were so much better and within a week my lips are completely transformed. I was hoping that it would sink in a relive dryness and it not only got rid of that but it also almost eliminated all those pesky wrinkly lines I have always had on my lips and I never expected to do all that. That was a surprise bonus!! I'm giving up all my chapsticks/lipbalms and only using this. I don't want my lips to go back the way they were. The only negative thing I can say is that there cod liver oil in this and i can smell it when I apply it slightly,but it will not stop me from continuing to use this as a treatment on my lips.
FEET-Also after using my pumice and gena callus remover(I have a review on gena's callus remover) I plan on using this as a treatment on my feet with socks at night to see if the Lanolin and A+D make my feet as soft as my lips. I will report back after trying it
rating-5
price-1(I cheated and bought cvs brand huge tube for 3 bucks same ingredients lol)
packaging-5 gotta love the germ free tube
buy again-for life

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2011 9:55:00 PM More reviews by Arenal

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wish I'd discovered this decades ago! This is the lip balm/cuticle cream/flaky spot treatment of the gods!

I've been using the Safeway brand generic ($5 for 4 oz.), and one tube will probably last me for years. It must be the lanolin that makes it work so well for me. I'm a longtime fan of Vaseline, but the addition of lanolin in this ointment really brings the moisturization to a new level.

I love Elizabeth Arden 8-Hour Cream, but this is just a good, at a fraction of the price.